Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,973 times

Advertisements

"Flat lander" is a term used in the "County" for someone not from there or city folk. Typically an out of stater but have heard a of Bangorians and Portlanders refered to as this also.
In the "County" they would refer to anywhere from below there as "Down Country" and they lived in "Up Country".

Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,362 times
Down here a flatlander is someone who lives on flat land not the hills. It means exactly what it is

Old 02-13-2009, 02:11 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
I thought Downeast they referred to a Flatlander as someone not familiar with coastal life.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:40 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I thought Downeast they referred to a Flatlander as someone not familiar with coastal life.
That's what I thought.. as in I would be one!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
ive heard the term flatlander for many years,, i always thought it referenced folks from the midwest

Old 02-14-2009, 05:59 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,412 times
I'm from the midwest, Northern Illinois and never heard that term used before.Maybe it's a term used for the Kansas, Oklahoma area where it is flat..........

Old 02-14-2009, 06:16 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
All things being relative; there are areas of this continent where the land is flat, and there are areas with tall mountains.

I grew up in a valley with high mountains on the horizon, visible everyday that it is not overcast. Year around we cloud see the snow caps. I did a lot of hiking as a kid. Hiking with an oxygen bottle is different, but that is how you do it when you go that high.

The highest mountain in the continental US is within a 100 miles of the continent's lowest altitude point also. [Mt Whitney - Death Valley]

I do not understand the reference to 'flatlander's as used by Mainers at all. Would it be said by someone who lives on a tall mountain? If so then they obviously don't live on the East Coast.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,033 times
I understand. I lived in Portland for 7 years and moved down to Ky. I make sure every summer I go back to Portland to see friends and family. When I tell people that I moved down here from Maine I get the same puzzled look.... You just get used to it and not try to explain. If they hve never lived there and experience it then they don't understand. :-)

Old 03-27-2011, 05:32 PM

503 posts, read 1,025,454 times
Yea, the wife and I got the same questions from Missouri when we told people we were moving to northern Maine. "Why do you want to move there ? It's so cold !", I responded, "You can always dress for the cold. Here in MO you can only take so much off before they tell you put it back on" When I told them the average snow fall here was 130"+ they couldn't believe it. "How are you supposed to drive in over ten feet of snow ?!?!?" They apparently thought you got the ten feet in one huge snow fall. Sigh, people

Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 PM

468 posts, read 758,461 times
Why do folks from away think Maine has some kind of monopoly on cold?

Most of the upper Midwest and Plains are every bit as cold, if not more so, than Maine.

Montana is cold. It's rural. It's mainly a resource economy. It's probably a bunch of things that people negatively associate with Maine, and yet Montana right now, along with places such as Idaho and Wyoming, are seen as the places to be, with people, especially from California, well-to-do ones anyhow, streaming in. (Maybe that's good or maybe it's not - I'm from MA myself )

I think Maine's current, negative image is way over-done, and due for something of a reversal, quite frankly.

If nothing else, it has relatively cheap land, reasonably abundant clean water, and a lot of timber for lumber and energy - things that are in increasingly tight supply around several other places in this country. High tech is great and it does places like MA well, but the basic resources, historically, always do a place well long-term, and Maine is set up well in that regard.

Maine right now reminds me of the private high school I went to for freshman and sophomore years. Everybody ragged on it, including the students. We made fun of our own sports teams (Football was 0-14 my freshman year) and everybody laughed at the place including us. But... then our newish school somehow survived and became not so new. Our alumni pool grew. We built up some money in the endowment, and things started happening. 25 years later it's a really happening place, with tight admissions, lots of new facilities, and sports teams people brag about.

It's situation and fate was not nearly as bad as everybody indicated and it turned around because basically, it was a sound place.

Maine strikes me as something of similar similar story nowadays. I can't prove it, explain it, or put my finger on it anymore than this, but Maine's reputation and desirability, will take a turn for the better in the coming years.

On edit, I'll add this: Maine feels like a way over-sold stock that I'd cover, and soon.

Last edited by beltrams; 03-27-2011 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: