Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 PM

326 posts, read 433,857 times

Advertisements

That's exactly the response I got from just about everybody here in SoCal!
It's freezing, you will die!!! In a way I think it's a good thing people have this attitude. It keeps the Maine that we know and love, just for us... Like a hidden treasure that only a few would know the location and even the existence! Love it.
- Oh yeah, it's horribly cold ALL year round, I'd say...

Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 PM

625 posts, read 792,187 times
A flatlander is anybody that is not a Mainer. You either a Mainer or a flatlander. If you born in Maine your a Mainer. If you nto and you live in Maine the rest of your life your still a flatlander. IE your born 5 seconds before crossing the border from NH into Maine. You enter Maine and live your whole life here never leaving the state your OBIT will read NH man dies in Maine.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:57 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
A flatlander is anybody that is not a Mainer. You either a Mainer or a flatlander. If you born in Maine your a Mainer. If you nto and you live in Maine the rest of your life your still a flatlander. IE your born 5 seconds before crossing the border from NH into Maine. You enter Maine and live your whole life here never leaving the state your OBIT will read NH man dies in Maine.
Yes, that appears to be correct.

If you are from a mountainous area and move to flat Maine you are a flat lander.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:12 AM

468 posts, read 758,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
There's a story in Country Living by Lewis and Nancy Hill of Vermont of a woman who was born in a town on the New Hampshire side of the Connecticut River who moved to a town on the Vermont side of the river with her family when she was 6 months old. Even though she lived the rest of her 89 years in that Vermont hamlet, the minister remarked at her funeral, "We loved her as if she was our sister, even though she wasn't one of us."

Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
I was born in NH but moved to Maine when I was 2. I am a Mainer, plain and simple. I don't remember NH and it doesn't count. My parents are both Mainers, and the whole NH was a short aberration.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
if you are employed, paying taxes and are a legal resident in maine, that passes my test for being a mainer

the only time i hear the word "outsider" is usually along the coast in small communities, whether someone moved here from away and want to change things, or someone from away is trying to fit in trying to be a lobsterman/clamdigger/commercial fisherman-tho it's much tougher to be licensed today than 30 yrs ago
also, if someone from away buys a business, and is an arrogant sob.

even tho I was born and lived in maine my whole life-if I bought a farm up in aroostook county and started farming-id probly still be an outsider

but overall, most wise mainers realize we need more people in maine, to expand the tax base, and if any of us has our house for sale- we are VERY welcoming to folks from away-funny how that works

no matter the word or phrase, what we call folks from away- maine would be much worse off if we didnt have the folks in our state- from tourists that spend millions in the summer and support thousands of businesses, to folks that do move here- a wise mainer will appreciate new neighbors

Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
About the only time I hear it around here it is stated by some one not born here. It is usually thrown out at a long time resident like the race card when there is no longer a justifiable argument. Most of us locals don't care. Heck, I'm only a second generation Mainer.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 PM

468 posts, read 758,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
About the only time I hear it around here it is stated by some one not born here. It is usually thrown out at a long time resident like the race card when there is no longer a justifiable argument. [Emphasis added.] Most of us locals don't care. Heck, I'm only a second generation Mainer.
That's the way many of we humans operate, in *many* places, not just Maine.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
...Heck, I'm only a second generation Mainer.
On Dad's side, me too... but hey, I've got my own road on PEI!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
On Dad's side, me too... but hey, I've got my own road on PEI!
That's cool! Can anybody you your road, or just you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: