Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:43 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times

Advertisements

[quote=dmyankee;7499023]

All you would have to do is cut the Capital Gains Tax to ZERO and cut the confiscatory Corporate Tax in half. It's simple economics. The economy would show signs of roaring back within 18 months!
quote]

You forgot one thing 'tho...they would have to make sure that people devoid of a conscience (for example Bernie Madof) weren't running them.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:07 AM

300 posts, read 757,855 times
The foxes were incompetent. The ilk that runs the country now has already overturned the 1996 welfare reform act, one of Clinton's best successes (passed with huge Republican support, and little Democratic support).

People are going to get a firm lesson in what the abomination that is the left in this country really stands for, and this "stimulus" bill is just the beginning :-)

Old 02-17-2009, 05:09 AM

[quote=reloop;7499301]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post

All you would have to do is cut the Capital Gains Tax to ZERO and cut the confiscatory Corporate Tax in half. It's simple economics. The economy would show signs of roaring back within 18 months!
quote]

You forgot one thing 'tho...they would have to make sure that people devoid of a conscience (for example Bernie Madof) weren't running them.
'Ol Bernie was a major Democratic contributor; he must be advising Hussein Obama on the merits of the ponzi scheme.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
[quote=diablogun;7499381]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post

'Ol Bernie was a major Democratic contributor; he must be advising Hussein Obama on the merits of the ponzi scheme.
Well there you have it - forest is right - "Politics as usual."

Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,874 times
[quote=reloop;7499301]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post

quote]

Excellent point! Ireland cut their corporate tax to the lowest level when compared to other countries and their economy boomed. Talk to people in europe and see home many of them went to ireland for work.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:40 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Would appreciate thoughts/Maine perspectives on the article and/or the stimulus package:

washingtonpost.com

Does the stimulus package provide good help to Maine?

I'm not trying to make people upset here.

I would rather read what Maine folks understand to be true and not what a Post reporter imagines. Thanks!
I'll try to stay ON-TOPIC, unlike most of the replies in this thread. When I look at the list of projects being funded by this bill, Maine has quite a few entries, mostly in the Portland and Lewiston areas. By contrast, West Virginia has exactly one project funded. On that basis, certainly Maine will get some benefit; more than some other states. Is that good? I guess so. However, it does not specifically address the need for jobs in the poorer areas of the state.

I think that both of Maine's Senators work hard to provide good representation for their constituents. They are both Republicans representing a state that is generally liberal, so they often cross party lines to provide that representation. They have both established themselves as influential and fairly powerful Senators with good committee appointments, and they both worked hard to keep a military presence in Maine during the last round of base closure hearings.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:13 AM

107 posts, read 507,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablogun View Post
People are going to get a firm lesson in what the abomination that is the left in this country really stands for, and this "stimulus" bill is just the beginning :-)
I don't know about the left, but I see the right stands for spending money like a drunken sailor while their president is in charge, but suddenly finding a fiscal responsibility when the other party is in charge. In a similar display of hypocrisy, you have admitted to working for the federal gov't in another post, but here you froth at the mouth about gov't spending. Suckle at the gov't teat while refusing others a chance to do the same... oh the irony!

I don't know if this stimulus will work as planned or not, I hope it does for everyone's sake. But My question is, if this stimulus does "work", will you come back to admit you were wrong, or will you just sulk in the corner and renew your subscription to the Limbaugh Letter?

Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator Projection View Post
I don't know about the left, but I see the right stands for spending money like a drunken sailor while their president is in charge, but suddenly finding a fiscal responsibility when the other party is in charge.
I have an issue with you talking about 'drunken sailors'.

I was a career sub sailor, I did 20 years in the Navy. So when you say things like: "spending money like a drunken sailor while ..." you are comparing sailors to politicians.

I have known many fine drunken sailors. Men who I would trust my life to. Men of valor. Fine men.

Comparing them to politicians is really low.

I would never insult you like that. I would appreciate the same level of courtesy from you.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:09 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,113 times
Austun B said it correctly, just about every item will be again given more money in the appropriate bills they really belong in. This was the pigs lining up to the trough for free money. The ones who will really benefit by all this are the special interest groups and the lobbyists. Govt projects are not designed to be long term and if folks know they will be out of work after a short time, they will save rather than spend.

Some of these social programs are good and needed but a lot of this money will be sitting on the sidelines till 2011. Any of the big money jobs 25M or more that the govt has for projects are more beneficial to union workers than anyone else (and that was not a slam on union workers)but that is who will reap the benefit of govt projects. The pres signed an Executive Order very conveniently just before this bill passed making it possible.

As for the promised tax break for 95% of the middle class Americans....I had HOPE that the CHANGE would be substantial...not just pocket change.

As for Snowe and Collins, I guess the best way to see if their vote was a smart one, is to see how much of the "bacon" got brought home, how many people in maine get put to work quickly and what kind of tax relief is really in it for working folks.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator Projection View Post
I don't know about the left, but I see the right stands for spending money like a drunken sailor while their president is in charge, but suddenly finding a fiscal responsibility when the other party is in charge. In a similar display of hypocrisy, you have admitted to working for the federal gov't in another post, but here you froth at the mouth about gov't spending. Suckle at the gov't teat while refusing others a chance to do the same... oh the irony!

I don't know if this stimulus will work as planned or not, I hope it does for everyone's sake. But My question is, if this stimulus does "work", will you come back to admit you were wrong, or will you just sulk in the corner and renew your subscription to the Limbaugh Letter?
Very interesting opinion. For your uninformed and woefully poor understanding, the work that I do is both important and dangerous. If that is "suckling at the teat", as you so weakly describe, then so be it. Of course, because we are always hiring and short of people, it must not be the gravy train that you think it is. Want an application?

As to the spending of the right, much of the increase was due to 'Ol Bubba eviscerating the military in the nineties, and that has been rectified. However, Bush did compromise with the libs far too much in allowing spending to explode, and the result is people voted the Republicans out. I hope the lesson is learned, and as they now have opposed Hussein Obama's bloated bill, it seems they have. I really am going to like to see what happen when Bush's tax cuts expire in 2010; the increased taxes that everyone will pay as a result will prove once again what the left feels about any sort of tax cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine