Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Maine from United Kingdom, employment issues, arts graduate, good place to raise kids, low crime rates, weather, snowfall, hurricanes, proximity to shopping malls, international airport

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM

20 posts, read 29,983 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to the US and have dreams of Maine.

I am 37, have one eight year old daughter, I'm a graduate and I usually work within the arts in some way.

What do you think? I would really appreciate your answers.

I haven't visited Maine yet. That would be my first step. But I need to go through a process of narrowing down and it just..appeals..somehow, from what I've heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 04:50 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,012 times
We're moving to Maine soon, and we've done a lot of research. We've also visited. From what I've found, it's a low crime area over most of the state, it's a great place to raise kids, and I can see where there might be a great deal of inspiration for an artist. You might want to focus in on an area where there is an art community, and where you might find more occupational success in your particular field. Employment issues seem to be the only drawback to living in Maine, from what I've seen.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 PM

263 posts, read 798,091 times
Where are you thinking of moving from?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Welcome to the Maine forum! I'm guessing you're coming from the UK, based on your user name, but I may be totally off. What are some of your reasons for moving to the States, if you don't mind us asking. It may help to narrow down some of your many choices. Good luck in your planning process. It can sometimes be long and tedious, but it's well worth it when you find "HOME."

Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Maine has many regions.

You should really come over for holiday and tour around, see what each area is like for yourself.

If you bring a tent you would be welcome to stay a fortnight on 100 acres of forest that I manage.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatrebrit View Post
I am thinking about moving to the US and have dreams of Maine.

I am 37, have one eight year old daughter, I'm a graduate and I usually work within the arts in some way.

What do you think? I would really appreciate your answers.

I haven't visited Maine yet. That would be my first step. But I need to go through a process of narrowing down and it just..appeals..somehow, from what I've heard.
I think that if you "usually work within the arts" in some way, you will find it extremely hard sledding finding work here. Unless there has been some radical development in the past few years that I have totally missed, there are two professional theater companies in Maine. One is the Penobscot Theater in Bangor, and the other is the Portland Stage Company in Maine's largest city, Portland. To my knowledge there is nothing approaching union scale for employees and there is very little year round opportunity under any circumstance. There are a few other organizations, such as the University of Maine system that have theater departments but again, the opportunities for employment in theater at any level are very sparce.

I get to say this a lot to people who have fallen in love with the concept of living in Maine. IF you need to find some sort of employment, the first and most important fact for you to learn, think about and understand, is that Maine has 1.3 million people scattered about a fairly large area for this part of the country. In addition, the median income for Maine people is relatively low: Maine is not a wealthy state. What this should mean to you in particular, is that there is relatively little support for the arts in general and theater in particular.

Maine has two major symphony orchestras. Again, one is in Portland (The Portland Symphony), and the other is The Bangor Symphony which is one of the oldest community orchestras in the country. Both struggle for funding although the Portland Symphony is quite well endowed now, and in recent years The Bangor Symphony has developed quite well: thirty years ago it was almost gone.

The point to be made here is that the opportunities for employement in the arts in Maine...ANYWHERE in the arts....is consurate with a state with a very small population, very small economic base, and significant distances between population centers and little to no public transportation.

It has been said elsewhere in this forum that you need to come and visit the state. This is absolutely correct. Plan on spending at least a month and plan on traveling around a great deal. If you decide that what you see and hear is exactly for you, then you will probably need to have independent means to support yourself for at least six months with NO income, and possibly longer because of the current state of the economy everywhere.

It would be interesting to know where in the UK (or elsewhere) you are now. Whereever it is, Maine will be radically different, especially if you are in or near a major city.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:49 PM

Hello all!

Thankyou very much for your replies!

Casper1212 - This is the impression I have had. It sounds like a great adventure for you. The low crime rate is of great appeal as I would be on my own with a young child.

Caliecat - I live in the UK. I have spent most of my life between London and south Wales.

Elcarim - I have always had a fascination for the states. I like can do attitude and positivity that seems to be a basic ethic (although, of course, not everyone is the same.)Of course, with your new president - hopefully this is an era when being in the US will be a particularly interesting and positive experience.

Forest Beekeeper - That is very kind. Thank you for the offer. To be honest, I think I would be a little bit scared out in a tent! I've been camping here just once and spent the whole night waking up. But, thank you. That sounds like an interesting job. I watched a lovely programme recently here where they showed traditional bee keeping and it was fascinating. Edit - just read your adage! Beekeeping - not in Maine!

Acadianlion - What I can say, thank you so much! I currently live in south Wales and as a small child here had to live with deep snowfall and country living. I loved every minute of it! My daughter does too.

I have found that I have often had to 'make my own work' and, of course, in this day and age a lot can be achieved on the net. As long as I had a basic income and my daughter was well cayered for - I think I'd be happy.

What were all your reasons for moving - staying in Maine?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
What were all your reasons for moving - staying in Maine?
We traveled a great deal during my military career. We knew all along that one day I would be pensioned out of the military so at each duty station we were shopping for a retirement home.

We had a long list of things that we wanted.

Perhaps we were too picky.

My last duty station was in Italy, when we got to researching Maine.

Most of Maine is rural. The land prices are very reasonable. Maine has many rivers, lakes, and ponds; and many of these waterways have access to the ocean. Maine is not known for droughts, forest fires, earthquakes, tornadoes or hurricanes. Most of Maine has fairly low taxes, and the economy has always been somewhat depressed [which in the case of a pensioner is a good thing].

So when I was mustered out, we had out minds set on settling in Maine.

I was able to locate a piece of forested land with river frontage that we like. It was fairly inexpensive. It has ready access to the freeway. We are rural yet close to a major city with: an international airport, shopping mall, comfort hospital and a modern teaching hospital. And there is a nearby state university.

On the other hand, I keep 2 kayaks tied-up in the water behind our house. We see eagles over head among our tree tops. I have had to stop twice on the road as beaver were dragging logs across the pavement. We routinely have wild turkey crossing our road. Moose and deer and common.

If you go to my 'profile' and then my 'photo album' you can see a few photos of our place.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 PM

Thank you

Did you ever come to the UK?

Your pictures - stunning river - and the colours are so vibrant - there is the sense of a tinge of the lovely northern blue light that I love here. It has a calming effect.
Love it!

I have lived in London and out in the sticks and I know how much of a difference the scenery makes to your life - it gets right to the core of you without you even realising it. I take care with it now.

The snow..everybody speaks about it. Is it really so troublesome?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you

Did you ever come to the UK?

Your pictures - stunning river - and the colours are so vibrant - there is the sense of a tinge of the lovely northern blue light that I love here. It has a calming effect.
Love it!

I have lived in London and out in the sticks and I know how much of a difference the scenery makes to your life - it gets right to the core of you without you even realising it. I take care with it now.

The snow..everybody speaks about it. Is it really so troublesome?
I was in and out of Scotland about twice a year for five years, and later we moved to Scotland and owned a home there for three years. We were near Dunoon, by Fast lane across from Gourock. My Dw made many trips down to London for holiday while we were there.

I do not find the snow troublesome at all.

I rather like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine