Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:16 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,615 times

Advertisements

We live in Baileyville, a small milltown. Yesterday we heard and saw sirens, fire trucks, emergency vehicles come down our street. We thought WHAT IS GOING ON ??????Then we saw the school buses filled with the Boys and Girls Basketball teams from Woodland High School. They had both won in Bangor and play in the finals next Sat. !!!!!!!!!That is something we never saw in the bigger towns we have lived in. It made us proud to see the happy kids so proud of their victories. GO WOODLAND!!!!!! yOU DESERVE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 12:32 PM

467 posts, read 1,125,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
We live in Baileyville, a small milltown. Yesterday we heard and saw sirens, fire trucks, emergency vehicles come down our street. We thought WHAT IS GOING ON ??????Then we saw the school buses filled with the Boys and Girls Basketball teams from Woodland High School. They had both won in Bangor and play in the finals next Sat. !!!!!!!!!That is something we never saw in the bigger towns we have lived in. It made us proud to see the happy kids so proud of their victories. GO WOODLAND!!!!!! yOU DESERVE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!
Awwww...that would have given me goose bumps to see that! How exciting that must be for them!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:50 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,012 times
That's one of the things I miss living here, gussie. The culture here has its benefits, but there are things that I miss. The parents make their kids a priority, but things like yelling and cheering for them seems impolite to them for some reason. Here's a kicker for you. The team mascot here is the Blue Devils. Our son works for the school, and we bought him a Calais Blue Devils sweatshirt. It was even the same blue as the school colors here. We told him to wear it to school on casual Friday and see how long it takes somebody to notice that it says Calais and not Presidio.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:03 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
I understand, Casper. I was labeled as the "Psycho Soccer Mom" the ONE time my parents attented one of the girls' games with us last fall. My mother said I embarrassed her with all my yelling and cheering. My daughters look at me everytime they score or make a good play to see my approval.

I think kids aren't cheered on enough, and that's one reason they get into such trouble these days....looking for the missing attention. It's wonderful that the community would support them like that and honor their victory in such a public way. I can't wait to participate! I'll be the short, brunette psycho yelling the loudest!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:11 PM

176 posts, read 598,271 times
Congratulations! My school, Thornton Academy, just won regional finals down here too

Old 02-22-2009, 03:14 PM

222 posts, read 529,886 times
Default and then some..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post

YES!!!!! Go Dragons : )

Old 02-22-2009, 04:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Gotta love it! It's great! When we came home from the tourneys the last 3 years our local radio station WQDY has broadcast the location of the bus all the way down Rt 9, so those of us waiting in the caravan would know how long they would be. We had the police cars, border patrol, ambulance, and the first year we had a fire truck in the beginning of the line. Along the route back into town (we started in Baring) people in the houses along the way were waving and blinking their outside lights. The caravan is usually about 175 cars long.... all with flashers on and blowing their horns.

Yesterday on the way to Bangor Elaine, our resident non-posting lurker whom many of you have met at lunch, and Daphne, my oldest son's girlfriend were awed at the signs along Rt 9 for the teams. They were able to see the Woodland signs, and the Calais signs. Neither of them had ever seen anything like that before.

Tourney time is a fantastic time of year.... and people wonder what makes our little communities so strong....

Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I understand, Casper. I was labeled as the "Psycho Soccer Mom" the ONE time my parents attented one of the girls' games with us last fall. My mother said I embarrassed her with all my yelling and cheering. My daughters look at me everytime they score or make a good play to see my approval.

I think kids aren't cheered on enough, and that's one reason they get into such trouble these days....looking for the missing attention. It's wonderful that the community would support them like that and honor their victory in such a public way. I can't wait to participate! I'll be the short, brunette psycho yelling the loudest!
Wow...you'll do well in Maine then. We're a loud bunch when it comes to cheering our kids on at least in my experience anyway. We do nonetheless, once and a while, have an "egghead" parent who is just plain rude. The rest of us usually put him or her in place in short order.

Children do need to be cheered on. It builds confidence!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Kinda gets ya right there. Seriously, I got a little choked up reading the opening post. Great to see that kind of support and encouragement for young people. Sure, they dress funny, and have their awkward teenaged issues, but, as trite as it might sound to say it, they really are the future, so they need to be supported and encouraged. And it's great to hear about genuine small towns where the accomplishments of their citizens mean that much to the community.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 8,161 times
Default Gussie Music

Gussie, do you play the trumpet?

JA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine