Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:50 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
Aw, nobody lets me have any fun! Watch those calls, though. You can still hit towers that belong to providers who will not honor an agreement with your cell provider and you will still get hit with roaming charges. Hubby and I are going to have to get out of the habit of picking up the phone whenever we want and calling each other. Although our phones should be on mobile to mobile, it we hit a Canadian tower, it's still roaming. Which means I can't call my friends back home, so you and the rest of the clan had better start showing up for visits and at lunches! As much as I love my 'puter, I need REAL people!
I'm not sure who your provider is, but for us our bill comes in and we see the roaming Canada charges they just credit us because "we live next to the border and they honor it. So we don't let that get us "down"... it's pretty quick to get that taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 06:08 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Right, Peachie. They are well familiar with the issue. On our phones, it actually says Rogers Wireless when it's not saying AT&T like it should, so we always know whose tower we're using. That's a good thing!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:50 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,874 times
We've got a great cell provider, and I can get just about any problem fixed with them, including this roaming thing. But I have to take the initiative and call them and start by convincing the rep that, yes, I do still get service, even though they don't have any equipment anywhere near here. It's a bit time consuming. After more than a week, I still haven't called Quoddy Tides or the Calais Advertiser to get a change of address, and I only yesterday remembered to call our internet provider from Texas and cancel.
(Yes, in case you haven't noticed, I am an airhead.)

Old 04-01-2009, 05:55 PM

So.....no phone service, shoddy satellite service, but guess what we DO have!

We learned today that we have wild blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries in our yard in several places! We also have a couple of maples, a honeysuckle, tons of white and yellow birch, apple trees, wild roses...........oh, and tulips popping up in my flower bed on the front of the house. Yippee!!! The bed in front is full of plants that are shooting up through the leaves now that the snow has melted off of them, so I'll be going out tomorrow to move the doggie run out of that area and get those beds cleaned out to give the new growth breathing room. I can't wait to see what other treasures appear over the next few weeks!

Brad and I are going over the weekend to the feed store to pick up a bag of soil and all the necessary supplies to get our vegetable seeds going. Very soon, our new home will be a masterpiece boasting new growth and blooming lifeforms! It's so hard to explain just how much that thrills me. I know a few of you guys know EXACTLY what the anticipation feels like.

'Tis the season....

Old 04-02-2009, 04:05 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Yum, fresh berries.. right in your own yard.. have fun with your flower beds.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:02 PM

411 posts, read 898,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
So.....no phone service, shoddy satellite service, but guess what we DO have!

We learned today that we have wild blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries in our yard in several places! We also have a couple of maples, a honeysuckle, tons of white and yellow birch, apple trees, wild roses...........oh, and tulips popping up in my flower bed on the front of the house. Yippee!!! The bed in front is full of plants that are shooting up through the leaves now that the snow has melted off of them, so I'll be going out tomorrow to move the doggie run out of that area and get those beds cleaned out to give the new growth breathing room. I can't wait to see what other treasures appear over the next few weeks!

Brad and I are going over the weekend to the feed store to pick up a bag of soil and all the necessary supplies to get our vegetable seeds going. Very soon, our new home will be a masterpiece boasting new growth and blooming lifeforms! It's so hard to explain just how much that thrills me. I know a few of you guys know EXACTLY what the anticipation feels like.

'Tis the season....
Very, very cool!!!! Who needs a phone to talk on or internet to waste time on when there's all that outdoors to explore??? Mmmm, I can't wait for spring to REALLY be here! We are still working on our berries, etc... but will get them in this spring. Today we've been enjoying the weather while fixing up our new (to us) horse trailer we just bought.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:15 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim
... We learned today that we have wild blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries in our yard in several places! We also have a couple of maples, a honeysuckle, tons of white and yellow birch, apple trees, wild roses......
WOW!

Sounds great!

Our strawberries are looking good too.

Raspberries and blackberries are 'canes' and there are very specific methods of pruning them to get high production. We can discuss that if you wish.

How big are the maples. I mean how big in diameter is the trunk at breast height?

Apple trees, too? Have they been tended? How old are they? Do you know what varieties? At the scion exchange last week [and every year] you could graft and swap for any variety that you desired.

Roses also, how nice.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:51 PM

Hmmmm.....my breast height? That depends on which shoes I'm wearing. I have no idea - I haven't really measured them. The maples appear to be old trees. The apples are growing wild, untended. MW believes they are the kind that produce larger apples. I guess we'll see as the year progresses!

The berry vines are growing wild everywhere. Pruning would be a new trick I could learn. I cleaned out my flower bed today and edged it with split birch wood the previous folks so kindly left us. Now, I just need to get it completely weeded and mulched. The layer of maple leaves I raked off it did a good job of keeping the weeds down, so there aren't many. There are a bunch of small strawberry plants growing all in it, though. I'm wondering if those need to be removed to make breathing room for the flowering plants. I have no idea how thick they grow or how much they will deplete the soil.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:33 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,874 times
The landlord was over this am to fix the fridge and was telling me that the place has perennials planted everywhere, that there are hostas all over that need to be split. I knew there was a nice garden patch, but he tells me there's another spot he cultivates just for cucumbers and squash. I've got my trays of seedlings started yesterday with peppers and tomatoes. I went for more seeds and Jiffy trays today for squash and cukes and to get flower seedlings started. I'm so excited about getting to garden again that I've already bought onion sets and bulbs for glads and irises. I found some lillies, too. My yard still has a foot of snow on it, but it's melting fast. But by the time it's gone, I'll have my little greenhouse filled with seedlings ready to set out.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:13 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
... by the time it's gone, I'll have my little greenhouse filled with seedlings ready to set out.
I'll bring your cabbage plants up next Thurs when I will be running around your neck of the woods. Hopefully we'll get a few moments to chat, but between the drive up and back and all the "gotta-do" things that are packed into the day, it likely will not be long enough to suit either of us.

I'm anxious to see your greenhouse. I've seen Maine Writers' (was nibbling as we chatted about this time last year!) and am beating the bushes in search of one -- or the makings for one -- for down here.

FWIW my soil temp at ~ 2" at a little after 5 PM today was 45 degrees! (picked up a soil thermometer when I was in town today, along with more flats, another shop light and my MUCK BOOTS! Yay Blue Seal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine