Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:20 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,660,325 times

Advertisements

Stephen King generally tries to have some shooting done in Maine for movies based on his books. There have been many scenes shot in Maine. Most of the impact has been positive when a film crew sets up somewhere in Maine. The whole Pemaquid area was excited when they were shooting Message In A Bottle at Shaw's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Stephen King generally tries to have some shooting done in Maine for movies based on his books. There have been many scenes shot in Maine. Most of the impact has been positive when a film crew sets up somewhere in Maine. The whole Pemaquid area was excited when they were shooting Message In A Bottle at Shaw's.
Fred Quinn gave my then 4 year old daughter Oreos and milk while we watched the makeup artist turn a young boy into road pizza. She thought it was positive! She had no idea who Fred Quinn was other than a nice man who noticed a little girl staring at milk and cookies.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
The Stanley fared well because most people think The Shining was filmed at The Homestead in West Virginia. Perception is everything.

A correction please - The Homestead is in Virginia - The Greenbrier is in West Virginia

Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
I guess that makes sense. My brother directs a state Visitors Bureau and says that not all movies are good for local business in the long term which is why tax incentives and perqs aren't determined until after (screenplay) review, plus I don't like Stephen King books- so my personal bias is probably over the top.
I'm not a big Stephen King fan either. I simply don't like his work. I can see where there may be problems in the making of some movies (i.e. a movie about racism in the 60s filmed on location in Alabama would be BAD for that town, even if the town didn't actually play a part in said racism), but not this type. I think it's good all around for business.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:46 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,619 times
I do have to agree with both of you. The only time I ever saw a movie crew create a problem was when they were shooting "Deliverance" in my hometown, and a waitress nearly fainted when Burt Reynolds spoke to her. When they shot "No Country" down here, they were very considerate, sent in advance people to make arrangements, etc. We hardly know they're here unless somebody mentions it. Most states have even established film commissions just to work with movie companies, attracting them to their states and helping them make their arrangements for shooting locations.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:57 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Fred Quinn gave my then 4 year old daughter Oreos and milk while we watched the makeup artist turn a young boy into road pizza. She thought it was positive! She had no idea who Fred Quinn was other than a nice man who noticed a little girl staring at milk and cookies.
Was that when they were filming Pet Sematary?

Old 03-03-2009, 02:18 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Was that when they were filming Pet Sematary?
Yup.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,230 times
I can't see the negative impact on any filming in Maine... it brings jobs!

And PS... The Shining (the movie) was filmed at Timberline Lodge on top of Mount Hood, OR (well, the exterior shots, anyway..all of the interior shots were filmed on a studio lot in England...). The miniseries, The Shining, was filmed at The Stanley Hotel in CO.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:16 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

Did you mean Fred Gwynne?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:46 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
A correction please - The Homestead is in Virginia - The Greenbrier is in West Virginia
Just goes to show you how Stephen King-like arriving there during a blizzard at midnight was. Six days later and I didn't know where I was. Haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine