Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times

Advertisements

Did you get a shot? Did it seem to make a difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
I never get the shot. I rarely get the flu. But this past holiday season I had the worst cold I've probably ever had. ..lasted for weeks and I still have a tickle in my throat.

good Luck. Drink lots of tea with lemon, for the vitamin c , dontcha know.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 PM

12 posts, read 32,936 times
I got my shot in November because it was free through work. (I guess TD doesn't want us taking days off.) I haven't been sick since last March. It's probably just a coincidence though. I'm lucky.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:19 PM

143 posts, read 252,790 times
Never got a shot and never will. Prevention's the key by building up our own immune systems. Cut out white flour and sugar and we're well on our way.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:21 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I have had not a shot since I retired from Active Duty. After years of being a pin-cushion, I have no desire to 'volunteer' for more shots.

I do recommend drinking though.

Drink when your grieving, drink for your stomach's sake, and drink for the flue too.

Don't forget to include orange in your drinking, and lemon from time to time, and tomato [really any citric juice]. But most important is to drink.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:56 PM

701 posts, read 1,082,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palval1 View Post
Never got a shot and never will. Prevention's the key by building up our own immune systems. Cut out white flour and sugar and we're well on our way.

Both at the same time?!?! Can I alternate days?

I never get the flu shot, neither does my DH or kids. We are all doing just fine. (knock wood!)

Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 PM

467 posts, read 1,124,674 times
I've never had a flu shot, but I make it a point to not eat out during this time of year...that seems to help me avoid whatever is going around...

Old 03-06-2009, 04:23 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundtofindME View Post
I've never had a flu shot, but I make it a point to not eat out during this time of year...that seems to help me avoid whatever is going around...
Yeah, we tend to get it through school. I don't think I was ever as sick as the year that I substituted. That was a year that I didn't get a shot, so I tend to believe that it helps boost my immune system somewhat.
Maybe it's a "placebo effect" - I don't know...

Old 03-06-2009, 04:33 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Default Flu Shot

Did you get a shot? Did it seem to make a difference?

Probably pretty important for seniors to get the flu shot but I am not so sure it makes a huge difference. I never get one and so far, knock on wood, haven't EVER had a serious bout of the flu. If a person is around lots of people, especially small kids who are germ factories, then I would say get a flu shot...hospital workers, etc.

Hint: Old Doc Stevens in Smyrna Mills Maine told me one time that every winter in the dead of winter, shut down all the heat and open up your house and air it out..open all windows, doors etc. Gets rid of germs. I still do this to this day and it works! Germs HATE cold.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:05 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Wash your hands. I have read a number of articles that when studies have been done watching human behavior and when they catch an airborne disease that folks washing their hands do not catch it.

I did a google on face masks recently, I found the CDC rating for what kind of face mask is recommended for the prevention of disease spread. So I googled the research that had been done to determine it's usefulness. It only stops 95% of the germs in the air from getting into your lungs. So if a flu bug wants in your lungs it is going to get there regardless of the whether you wear the mask.

One study said that the mask's primary usefulness is to remind folks not to touch their face with their hands. By only touching their face with their hands, immediately after washing those hands the spread of airborne disease is cut to nearly zero.

Whereas I have poultry; and whereas the mutations of avian influenza are a growing concern; and whereas I should be concerned about handling said poultry if and when a new strain of avian influenza develops; it would appear that beyond even wearing a face mask, the biggest preventative from catching such a bug, would be to wash my hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine