Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,253 times

Advertisements

I think Machias is a wonderful town. Of course, it's close to Milbridge, but it is also not a bad drive to Eastport, Lubec, or Ellsworth. I am currently waiting to hear back from a job in Machias, and if I get it, then that's where we will settle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
The Eastport food stamp comment was a bit funny, but don't rule out Eastport either. While about 30 miles east of Machias, it appealed much more to me than the Machias area. Lubec and Eastport are both small towns. No town is immune from a teen drug problem, but small numbers and a parent with a pulse can nip that in the bud in a New York minute. The scenery around Lubec and Eastport is much more beautiful than Machias. Yes, they are tiny towns at the dead end of a road, but if you want to get away from the rat race, it doesn't get any better.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 AM

13 posts, read 37,786 times
I am a resident and business owner living in Machias. I would not trade Machias for any other town anywhere. If you would like to ask any questions, I would be willing to call and answer any that you might have.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:22 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl View Post
Hi
Thank-you to everyone who replied so far.
I like Belfast, too . . . although the real estate I've
looked at on-line has seemed a bit pricey compared
to surrounding areas.
I've checked out the Machias chamber of commerce website,
researched the schools & healthcare through their
respective websites.
One of the things we find attractive about Machias is that it IS a
long way from anywhere; that said, you're right - reading about it
and looking at photos can't be compared to going there.
Which is why we're heading north to check it out in person.
Although I've been at home with the kids for the past couple years,
I have a degree in healthcare (RN) as well as a BA in English;
I'm thinking after the birth of my last child (end of June) when/if
I choose to return to a job outside the home, I'll find something as
long as I'm not too picky. Or maybe I'm dreaming . . .?
My husband is a writer and is mostly able to work from a home office
via modern technology; he's worked out a deal with his boss to
telecommute from wherever.
The comment about drug usage among Machias' youth is worrisome.
That is definitely one of the things we're trying to avoid by moving
away from the urban area we're in.
Hi, I moved from MA and thought I wanted to live in a super remote area too. We settled in Readfield and I'm very glad we did. It's not that remote, yet it feels that way. If you're very used to a certain way of life it can be really difficult to change completely. Now that I've lived here almost a year, I see that our decision was perfect. There are a few towns that are not far from here (Fayette for example) that have no high speed Internet (important for your husbands work I'm guessing) and cell service is slim to none.

I'm sorry I can't offer you much in the way of Machias info, but as one who has moved and made a drastic change, I would say what you think you might love right now, may not be the case when you actually are living it. Turns out for me, I needed to have the convenience of stores within a 20 min drive (on the Cape that would have been a five minute walk for me).

An extended visit is really needed. We stayed here for a few months (off and on) looking into areas. I was determined to live in one town when I was online doing research...one trip changed my mind in an instant.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,075 times
Default Should I or shouldn't I?

Ive been thinking about moving to Machias and from everything I see it is a thumbs up. Im from the back country and my wife is too somewhat. We have a lil boy on the way and like I said that town sounds perfect. But my only concern for him is that it might be too secluded. When I say that I mean how some parents keep there children sheltered the children sometimes are not very sociable. Do you think that could be an issue by living there? Or would it be the other way around???

Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM

473 posts, read 714,785 times
it doesnt matter where you live, there are children who are sheltered from life. i have found that the machias area does not mean you will have sheltered children unless that is what you choose for them. kids here are very social. my kids have friends from addison to pembroke that they visit with regularly, and my kids are less socially active than most. there are kids here in town that visit with friends regularly as far away as bangor, danforth, calais.... not that they have to, there are plenty of kids here to hang out with, but i have found that these kids are more outgoing and make friends more easily than kids from other areas.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:23 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Well, I personally like Machias, and my wife and I have looked at property all though that area. The town is growing and in ten years will be much like Ellsworth, with its share of big boxes and shopping. The downtown has been have some rennaisance, although the economy in Washington County is still very weak.

It is more "civilized" and people from Massachusetts like it much better than "real" Maine towns like Machias.

I think you will find the drug problem to be in every school everywhere. It is NO different in Maine than it is elsewhere. Raising children today is an extremely daunting challenge and where partents aren't sufficiently involved for whatever reason, therein lie the drug problems. We have also enjoyed a trememdous increase in medications for children diagnosed with ADD,a nd in more than just a few cases, children have taken to selling their Oxycontin on the school grounds where business is booming.
I sometimes get surprised at people that down a small town for it's simple growth.
Where small business is what made the United States a place where all wanted to come and be apart of it.
Now... small towns are considered a third world country.
Do people know how hard it is to preserve the simple in a world in which (Keeping up with the Jones) is what we have become in a sickening degree.

Lets also look at booming area's in this country.
They provide more crime ...( if that's a business then lets count it then.)
Families generally have two parents working to keep their small homes in the cities. Locking their doors is like blinking when something comes towards their eye.
How much "old family values" are found in a booming area compared to small town living.

How many big boxes have shut down small business? Does the booming make you a happier and healthier person? Are you buying more then you need?

Anyways.....
My point is.. if you want a simple change, and you want to get away from a norm in the USA maybe a small town in Maine or some other small town in the country would be just what the "Doctor Ordered".

In 100 yrs from now, we won't be looking at Maine the same way.
It's simple, and I've always loved that. Growth is happening here and it won't be long before it's gone, so0oo while I'm here I'm going to enjoy every SECOND OF IT.

I can move away and get what the rest of the country has... but I don't want to be a number in that big pool. I enjoying knowing my community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Oxycontin is a pain killer and is not prescribed for ADD.
You won't find to many ADD kids selling this at school. They don't get prescribed this for that condition.

p.s. Machias isn't a place I'd like to be.
I have personal views on that area.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:48 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
You know, I don't care for Machias personally. Shopping is a little further for us in Eastport that driving to Calais, but I like Calais more. Machias is just sort of out there, by itself. There are amenities, but I just don't care for it. I can't really put my finger on it either. For kids, it might be a bit better than some of the smaller towns/cities in the area such as Eastport and Lubec. I like Machiasport. But then I am partial to the seacoast communities.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:23 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I sometimes get surprised at people that down a small town for it's simple growth.
Where small business is what made the United States a place where all wanted to come and be apart of it.
Now... small towns are considered a third world country.
Do people know how hard it is to preserve the simple in a world in which (Keeping up with the Jones) is what we have become in a sickening degree.

Lets also look at booming area's in this country.
They provide more crime ...( if that's a business then lets count it then.)
Families generally have two parents working to keep their small homes in the cities. Locking their doors is like blinking when something comes towards their eye.
How much "old family values" are found in a booming area compared to small town living.

How many big boxes have shut down small business? Does the booming make you a happier and healthier person? Are you buying more then you need?

Anyways.....
My point is.. if you want a simple change, and you want to get away from a norm in the USA maybe a small town in Maine or some other small town in the country would be just what the "Doctor Ordered".

In 100 yrs from now, we won't be looking at Maine the same way.
It's simple, and I've always loved that. Growth is happening here and it won't be long before it's gone, so0oo while I'm here I'm going to enjoy every SECOND OF IT.

I can move away and get what the rest of the country has... but I don't want to be a number in that big pool. I enjoying knowing my community.

You won't find to many ADD kids selling this at school. They don't get prescribed this for that condition.

p.s. Machias isn't a place I'd like to be.
I have personal views on that area.
100 years from now all of us on this forum will be dead. Most of our children's children's children will be dead as well.
We won't be looking at Maine at all.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,075 times
Default Machias

Thanx for the info that takes care of my only concern. So in or around machias what all is there for children to do? And how is the education there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine