Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,202 times

Advertisements

I applied for an assistant foremen job on Craigslist the other day. Apparently I have made it to the next round, but the company wants a copy of my credit report so that they can do a back ground check and verify my past employment (they already have my resume.) This seems really odd to me. The company is VineTech. Anybody ever hear of them? I know there is a VineTech in Washington state, but does anybody know of a VineTech around here? Any help would be great. I;d hate to blow an opprotunity... but I'd hate to help somebody steal my identity too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Danged if I'd give it to them. Sounds like a scam. I've never heard of a company wanting a credit report. Not even sure if it's as legal as asking your sex or religion.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:12 PM

880 posts, read 2,345,202 times
That's what I though too. I sent them a response asking why and for more info. I'll see what happens, I guess.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:15 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
It's actually becoming common for an employer, landlord or insurance company to check a credit report. I'd call VineTech first and speak to someone in personel just to make sure this is their policy and that they indeed do have your resume. They most likely already ran a criminal history check. Do make sure you verify to your satisfaction that you are in contact with VineTech. Craigslist is great but there have been scams attempted through them previously.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
I applied for an assistant foremen job on Craigslist the other day. Apparently I have made it to the next round, but the company wants a copy of my credit report so that they can do a back ground check and verify my past employment (they already have my resume.) This seems really odd to me. The company is VineTech. Anybody ever hear of them? I know there is a VineTech in Washington state, but does anybody know of a VineTech around here? Any help would be great. I;d hate to blow an opprotunity... but I'd hate to help somebody steal my identity too.
I'd ask for an interview or personal meeting before I'd even consider handing over my information. At least something to verify their organization. You can respectfully ask them and explain why you're hesitant to just hand over your social security and credit information. Make sure that they know you're more than willing to give out necessary information and there's nothing you need to hide (unless of course, there's something you need to hide), but you just want some sort of verification that this is more than a scam.

They should understand your concerns and if they don't, you should have some serious questions about how much you want to work for someone who isn't serious about their employees concerns about identity theft.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:19 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,155 times
This is becoming common practice these days. The theory is that people with the best credit history tend to be more responsible. I was asked for permission to run my credit report for my auto insurance. They gave me the same answer. Very strange!
Of course anything on Craigslist has the potential of being a scam.

Last edited by bignhfamily; 03-09-2009 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,633 times
Like Msina says, its fairly common that a company will run a credit check on a prospective employee but that employee must first sign an application or some document allowing them to do so. (the permission to run the credit check would be stated on the application) Never heard of one asking you to provide the credit report. That's a red flag in my eyes. The credit report the employer runs is just like a car dealership or bank runs when you apply to borrow money. After one is selected as a candidate for a position some companies will run criminal background checks, drug test, etc, but nothing without the prospective employee signing off on such a test.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:32 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
I would still be extremely suspect of anyone wanting my credit report or anything with my SSAN. Brings to mind of scammers calling the elderly saying they need a bank account number verified over the phone to stop a theft over the net. And that's what your social sec. number is; a bank accouont number that can get anyone anything including your money and identity.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:36 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Default Vine Tech

Be careful who you turn your credit information loose to. Do a simple google search on Vine Tech and see what comes up. If that fails, go to the Better Business Bureau website at www.bbb.org and see if they have any information. If they are a legit company then chances are they might be on the BBB website. Other than this, be your own detective; call them on the phone and see how they answer. If they answer "Vine Tech" then maybe there is a chance they are ok...last but not least if you know there is a Vine Tech in Washington, then I would call them to verify the job on Craig's list is for real. Good luck and be careful!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:41 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Default Vine Tech - Reply #2

Ok, I did a web search on Vine Tech and got something online where a website should be that says "This domain is for sale"...I put in vinetech.com and this is what came up. I don't know but I would not pursue this any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: