Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:05 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"How can this be blamed on laptops?"

It's as simple as copying and pasting as I just did from above. In many classes the kids know more about computers than the teachers do. Some sixth graders have been on computers at home for about eight years and finally when they hit the 7th grade they can use a computer at school.
It still comes back to personal responsibility. A laptop does not have the ability to force anyone to cheat. You can plagiarize by hand writing word for word. It's not the book's fault any more than it is a laptop's fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Correct. My point was that many teachers are not proficient with computers. We recently had a teacher retire and she was proud to say she didn't know how to turn on a computer. That teacher taught eighth grade.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 AM

In this day and age that's not a good thing. Are computer classes offered as part of teacher training?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:29 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
When that teacher went to school the computer had not been invented. Neither had the calculator, wireless phones, tape recorders, radial tires, laser pointers or a Fax machine. (I think she was opposed to all of those things.)

Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
When that teacher went to school the computer had not been invented. Neither had the calculator, wireless phones, tape recorders, radial tires, laser pointers or a Fax machine. (I think she was opposed to all of those things.)
Gods save us all from the days of the ditto and mimeograph machines! (I remember typing masters for both formats for my dad.) It is too bad that some teachers don't see the benefit in keeping up with the times.

My dad taught also (and went to school in a similar era to the retiree you speak of, quite possibly) and -- though he did not enjoy it, and likely neither did some of his students in his drafting and wood shop classes -- he began teaching them to use the metric system back in the 70s after discovering that it was easier not to convert when working with parts that were in mm (he was making the parts to my spec. for a telescope I was building, and the optics were metric).

I feel sorry for teachers who do not feel comfortable exploring new technologies at least enough to have a basic familiarity with them. I don't think we all have to be a whiz at everything, but turning your back on changes -- whether you agree with them or not -- can't really help anyone.

I think I understand a bit of her feelings though, as I find myself getting frustrated more and more often when searching for information on the Internet and finding "nothing but" video content.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Don't they have to continue training on an on-going basis to keep their licenses?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
this was an interesting article...........

GOOD » Laptops of the World»

In inner-city Philadelphia, a pilot program is arming its high schoolers with laptops. But in countries like Norway—and increasingly in the developing world—that’s the norm. Why is the United States so behind? And is it worth it to play catch-up?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,214 times
:d

Last edited by cebdark; 03-13-2009 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: oops double posted

Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Do we truly 'need' this?
Yes, I think we do need technology training - everything is PC driven today - I often marvel as I'm out-and-about town at how much we now rely on them for everything - that doesn't mean it's always a good thing. I will say that I feel that we have to be diligent in our watching the cost 'tho. This is no time to forget how to work the best possible deal (with complete transparency by the way).

I say that with mixed feelings in general - I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with this. My children are young and one of them will be using a laptop in a couple of years. He has computer classes now, and he's had classes since 1st grade, so he's pretty proficient with computers in general (plus we have one at home - obviously). Likewise with my daughter - she can do pretty much anything on a computer now - she's 9. They have a lot of access at the school, but I'm sure that there are smaller schools who don't have as adequate resources. That's simply reality. That's not our reality, so the tightwad taxpayer side of me conflicts in that I know they'll be just fine in this age of technology, so why do we need to subject retirees on a fixed income to more taxes to pay for their education? That said, there are still some of their friends who don't have a computer in their homes, and having to pay basic bills precludes their parents from buying them one (and no, they don't smoke, own cell phones or have internet access or new cars and they also don't eat out every night - sorry, went off on a tangent there).

Our school was fortunate enough to have had a sizable donation of computers that were "retired" from the military a few years back, and after a lot of tweaking, they were placed in most classrooms. The kids have a great time playing games (of the educational kind - I've watched with an eagle eye ) when they have inside recess or while the walkers are waiting for the buses to leave. They also use them in the Accelerated Reading program where they are required to answer comprehension questions on a book they read. I get an email everytime they do one, so I know their grade. I really do like that aspect. It keeps them on their toes because they know that the old hag at home is watching. Powerful incentive - that's what I've found that little gem to be. I am almost completely "self-taught" in the use of computers, as I feel strongly that there isn't much of anything one can't teach themselves if they have the wearwithall to at least try.

I will say 'tho, that I have on more than one occasion found myself picking up a lone laptop that was left behind either in the lobby or sidewalk of the school. Such is childish nature I suppose. I just shake my head as I hand it over to the office. I'd hate to be in that kid's shoes when it comes to pay the piper for that little moment of forgetfulness. I can assure you - it "ain't" pretty...

Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
That attitude mirrors both of my parents.

At the VFW I also see/hear that attitude from many of the members. It keeps the younger vets from feeling comfortable there.

Our society is marching onward, and the education that our children receive should be kept as up-to-date as possible.

I am not comfortable with expecting the government to shoulder so much of the family's burden.

To me 'institutions' tend to be 'bad' things.

IMHO sending anyone to a government institution without judicial process seems wrong.

I have never trusted the government's motives when it comes to child education, and it only got worse when we had children attending such an institution.

Since Apple is willing to provide laptops for such a low price to the government [and obviously still make their profit even after factoring in on-going repairs]; they should likewise be willing to provide the same deal to the public.

So every child could have access to this technology. Not just the institutionalized children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine