Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:55 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times

Advertisements

I remember a story my father told me about his first time in Augusta. He was supposed to meet someone (I think at a restaurant for lunch), and he had directions, but couldn't find the place.

So he asked a man who was walking down the street, "Excuse me, but can you tell me where [name of restaurant] is?"

The man looked at my father, nodded his head, said "Ayuh" ... and then continued on his way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
My dad went into a restaurant with my mom and a friend on their first visit to Maine (this was in Portland). The special of the day was some sort of liver. My dad (noting the relatively cold service) asked if it was any good. The waitress replied, "yes, it's good" and my dad ordered it. Well he said it was TERRIBLE.... like worst he's ever had. When the same waitress came back and asked how everything was, my dad replied that it was "pretty bad". The waitress looked at him and said, "I know... I wouldn't feed that to my dog." It was quite the first experience.

It's worth noting that it was the ONLY experience like that he's had here. He's since bought a second home here and hopes to retire to Maine.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:53 AM

113 posts, read 342,129 times
Default Maine First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
You know you're in Maine when.........there are only 12 cars in the Walmart parking lot..............and you're one of them!!
You know your in Maine when you can choose to go to Wal-mart or Renys and you choose Renys.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:57 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My dad went into a restaurant with my mom and a friend on their first visit to Maine (this was in Portland). The special of the day was some sort of liver. My dad (noting the relatively cold service) asked if it was any good. The waitress replied, "yes, it's good" and my dad ordered it. Well he said it was TERRIBLE.... like worst he's ever had. When the same waitress came back and asked how everything was, my dad replied that it was "pretty bad". The waitress looked at him and said, "I know... I wouldn't feed that to my dog." It was quite the first experience.

It's worth noting that it was the ONLY experience like that he's had here. He's since bought a second home here and hopes to retire to Maine.
Eating entrails has never been something I enjoy. No heart or liver for me. Not real fond of brains,kidneys,gizzards,stomach linings(tripe), blood, or male species parts either.
That stuff should be left in the woods or sent to the rendering plant. Hey the coyotes have to eat too!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,851 times
You know you are in Maine when you are standing in line to buy gas and the guy in front of you gives his ATM card to the clerk and says, "Sue, the PIN is 7343, handle it for me.", and Sue replies, "Sure thing Ed."

Old 07-15-2009, 12:11 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
You know you're in Maine when you lose the brakes and can't quite make it to the intended garage. I walked in, talked with the mechanic for about 30 seconds and left. I didn't leave my name or number, just my vehicle and keys. He had the registration. I knew where to find him.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:31 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Eating entrails has never been something I enjoy. No heart or liver for me. Not real fond of brains,kidneys,gizzards,stomach linings(tripe), blood, or male species parts either.
That stuff should be left in the woods or sent to the rendering plant. Hey the coyotes have to eat too!
I generally agree. But sometimes you can get them done well and they taste great. I had rabbit brain (served in the skull.... GROSS!) in Spain that was surprisingly tasty (though I couldn't get over the skull) and a monkey brain in India that was also good (thankfully not served in a skull) some places serve Foie Gras that is very well done. Generally though, there are a number of things on a menu (even a small prix fixe menu) that are FAR more appealing to me than those innards.

I think my father made the mistake of ordering an item that is not something that the restaurant does particularly well. I always cringe when I'm with someone who orders the sirloin steak at IHOP, or the calamari at a steakhouse in Texas (CERTAINLY don't get the rocky mountain oysters... not what you think they are!), etc. If you order an item that's not something a restaurant specializes in (like chicken liver at a small diner in Portland), then don't expect perfection. It was a dumb gamble on my father's behalf and he was let down... the reaction of the server was funny though.

For the sake of keeping the thread going:

"You know you're in Maine when," someone refers to Portland, Scarborough, Saco, Biddeford, Wells, Kennebunk, etc as being "Down South"

Old 07-15-2009, 05:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
People gladly offer you extra zuchinni and " rhubab" !

Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
People gladly offer you extra zuchinni and " rhubab" !
But not necessarily at the same time!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
You know you're in Maine when somebody brings you road kill - - - as a gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine