Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:43 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I agree, except drop Presque Isle and substitute Fort Fairfield in it's place. Also Easton is worth a look in that area as well.
two thumbs up for easton (was there two days ago, always liked that town!)
was also in washburn, another nice town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 06:42 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
two thumbs up for easton (was there two days ago, always liked that town!)
was also in washburn, another nice town!
When you were in Washburn, you were within 2 blocks of my old place.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:47 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
I've always liked Skowhegan and Bingham. They are located excellently but tend to have sort of a negative notation locally. There may be some value there.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 PM

14 posts, read 36,469 times
I don't know about "one day prospering", because that's rather subjective and at this point, maybe a moot point for ANYWHERE, USA!
But, that said: there are excellent deals on homes virtually everywhere in Maine due to the state of the RE market.
A few in the more mid-coast area that I didn't see listed previously are: BUCKSPORT, ORLAND, PENOBSCOT, and PROSPECT, SEARSPORT, BELFAST: these towns are in commuting distance of Bangor and/or Ellsworth, which are a bit more stable as far as jobs/services, etc.
Bucksport has a paper mill, but it isn't very smelly, or smelly very often even when it is slightly smelly (it smells more piney to me, not that "rotten egg" or "chemically choking" kind of smells that I've noticed at some other mills)and it's still running (but who knows how long that'll last...)
The mill itself is not real attractive, but it looks pretty good when you consider the tax coffers Nearby Orland and Prospect; I don't think can smell anything and I know Orland has lower property taxes than Bucksport, not sure about Prospect.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:11 PM

176 posts, read 510,506 times
Mill towns unless your from there your not gonna really like it of all the places I have lived in Maine I like Saco the best the people are more upper class but the houses are afordable I also like Kennebunk its more upper class and your not going to have to deal with the scum like Biddeford wich is an old mill town personally im moveing to Florida in a couple months Maines WAY over rated.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:32 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,931 times
[quote=mindy_bogue;8030024]Mill towns unless your from there your not gonna really like it of all the places I have lived in Maine I like Saco the best the people are more upper class but the houses are afordable I also like Kennebunk its more upper class and your not going to have to deal with the scum like Biddeford wich is an old mill town personally im moveing to Florida in a couple months Maines WAY over rated.[/quote]

It all depends on taste, Mindy. Just because some love it doesn't mean even the majority will even like it. You tries yer best and works with da rest I guess. Hope you have good luck in Fla. Now that place is personally to muggy ad hot for me. Which is why i moved back home.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:16 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy_bogue View Post
Mill towns unless your from there your not gonna really like it of all the places I have lived in Maine I like Saco the best the people are more upper class but the houses are afordable I also like Kennebunk its more upper class and your not going to have to deal with the scum like Biddeford wich is an old mill town personally im moveing to Florida in a couple months Maines WAY over rated.
To eaach his own. My grandparents lived in Florida(before they passed( and we went down to visit them. Now my dad lives there and after visiting him in December, I feel Florida is way overrated.

I like the Washington County for underrated Maine towns. Seems to me there are lots of good deals online, but beware of the fixeruppers. Just do your homework, there are many on here to help.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:20 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy_bogue View Post
I adore Maine,......... I tried living away....... couldn't wait to get home. I hope you are able to move to Florida and that it works out well for you.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:59 AM

85 posts, read 184,507 times
Not sure why to drop Presque Isle, but mapleton is the place to be. Great home prices and very low taxes compared to most of the surrounding towns. Andd one of the best elementary schools in the state!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:59 PM

35 posts, read 97,926 times
Default Future & upcoming communities

Eastport, Calais and Machias are very nice communities, especially Eastport. Eastport is a beautiful pristine area overlooking the Bay of Fundy and is quite spectacular. Most definitely worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine