U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 AM

411 posts, read 843,870 times

Advertisements

I'm so very thankful today... spring is in the air again! Our barn kitties are running around the farm, birds are singing in the trees, chickens are laying again (2 dozen a day now!) and the road crews are at work at our neighbor's place again!

Spring is coming... the river is getting high once again (watch for that flooding Forest!), break-up should be soon, the trees are showing signs of getting ready to bud, snow is melting at the Master Gardener's garden, and all kinds of farm and ag meetings are taking place!

It's going to be a busy next few weeks!

I am busy w/our business, and babies are being born left and right. Orders are coming in for soaps, new scents being added everyday. I just love spring!

Are you seeing spring in your area? Tell us about it! What does spring mean for you???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 AM

6,314 posts, read 12,302,429 times
I bottle fed a Jacob lamb at a farmers co-op meeting yesterday afternoon. There are nine of them bouncing around and one or two due any second. cute cute cute! My ducks and chickens are laying well. The paperwork for the woodcock singing ground counts came in Saturday's mail. One batch of peppers are 1" tall and more will be started after lunch. It was 90* in the biggest greenhouse last week. Bring it on! The sooner the snow melts the better.

We have friends coming from Kentucky tomorrow night. They're staying 'til Sunday. They've already planted their spring crops. We have 2' of snow. I warned them!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM

7,395 posts, read 12,327,575 times
ok.... even this cold weather girl is almost ready for spring and happy to see the warmer temps I'm ready for some mud to break in that new Jeep--no scratches yet and it's too clean I have to admit though, spring is my LEAST favorite season. The spring mud that's so fun smells awful!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 AM

2,783 posts, read 7,547,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
ok.... even this cold weather girl is almost ready for spring and happy to see the warmer temps I'm ready for some mud to break in that new Jeep--no scratches yet and it's too clean I have to admit though, spring is my LEAST favorite season. The spring mud that's so fun smells awful!
funny, I'm the opposite. The spring mud is messy. but it smells like good earth and gardening to me!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:59 AM

33,349 posts, read 54,758,974 times
For the past three weeks, every day that climbs up above 35* I have been checking our taps. So far we had not had any sap flowing.

Yesterday afternoon it got up to 45* here. I got 1/2 gallon of sap from each of two taps. Woo Hoo!

Nothing yet from our other taps.

Today is very bright and sunny! We are expecting 40*.

At noon I checked our taps. Each container had less than a cup in each, they were all still frozen.

I hope that by late afternoon they will have thawed and began flowing again.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:05 PM

264 posts, read 710,298 times
Speaking of spring... Husband already requested off from work and we plan to head up between my spring and summer semester from college on May 13th-May 17th.... We have already been at our house in summer/fall/winter.... We just havn't been there for spring yet! We plan to un-winterize the house and call out a plumber to do a bit of work and just enjoy and relax a bit. So tell me.... What are we in for around that time? I've heard about mud season, black flies and all somewhat around that time?
We loved it there in summer....
We loved it there in fall....
We came midwinter with tons of snow and loved that!
Now for spring and mud and bugs... LOL!

So what type of stuff will we encounter midmay? Will we experience those black flies?

By the way.... Lincoln Area!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:13 PM

2,783 posts, read 7,547,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2ME View Post
Speaking of spring... Husband already requested off from work and we plan to head up between my spring and summer semester from college on May 13th-May 17th.... We have already been at our house in summer/fall/winter.... We just havn't been there for spring yet! We plan to un-winterize the house and call out a plumber to do a bit of work and just enjoy and relax a bit. So tell me.... What are we in for around that time? I've heard about mud season, black flies and all somewhat around that time?
We loved it there in summer....
We loved it there in fall....
We came midwinter with tons of snow and loved that!
Now for spring and mud and bugs... LOL!

So what type of stuff will we encounter midmay? Will we experience those black flies?

By the way.... Lincoln Area!
My husband and I generally forage for fiddleheads every spring and they coincide with the emergence of black flies in our area. Late may and into June, depending on the temps and the water levels, is black fly season.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM

722 posts, read 1,409,601 times
I have mud and frozen mud, what looks like snow, but more like snow cone ice. My Chickens still think it is winter and get an egg or two here and there. We got the last of the cold (I think) we hit -12* friday and should be above freezing during the day the rest of the week and above freezing at night Saturday on. My daughter is still in the high school gym for softball practice, and wonders if she will ever get to play on the field. Oh yea, Yes I am ready for Spring and can't wait to get the garden going.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM

7,395 posts, read 12,327,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
funny, I'm the opposite. The spring mud is messy. but it smells like good earth and gardening to me!
lol... this stuff, the really "new" mud, smells like dog poo I like the mud when it gets the normal mud smell!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:57 PM

1,461 posts, read 4,596,097 times
Default Spring is coming

Well, here in CT, it has been in the upper 50's with blue skies. Took a ride through the local park this morning and the daffodils are popping up through the ground amongst the crocus. Our park has a daffodil festival every April when the daffy's are in full bloom. There are over 600,000 daffodils planted so it is quite a display. The ducks and geese were all wandering into the road and normally they won't move so you can drive by. There is a ringleader goose that the locals have named Walter and Walter is the ringleader. He was out today herding all the other geese around and chasing the ducks away. Mom's bring their kids to the park to feed the ducks bread or grain and perhaps take a ride on the new play gym the town has put up for them.

We live on one of the highest hills in our town and as you look out over the city you can see a faint dusting of green from the trees getting ready to burst open. I love that dusty green color and the smell of the air.

Spring is also softball season here. Our city is big into the amateur softball leagues both men and women. People are buying new gloves, softballs, bats and are booking the fields for practices. After 25+ years of playing myself, it is fun to now drive to a practice and watch or go to a game and relax.

Spring is a great time of year as it leaves us all eager for the still warmer weather that is to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine