Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:56 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times

Advertisements

I've read several times in this forum now that Augusta is not the best area of Maine. (The nickname "Disgusta" also isn't very encouraging!) When we move to Maine the greater Augusta area is one we may consider. Can anyone give me some insight on the town? What's so bad about it? I'd also be interested in surrounding towns anyone could recommend. Thanks for your help !

Old 03-25-2007, 08:53 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
augusta isnt that bad at all, i use to live there, now i live in a town close to augusta, augusta has plenty of stores and outlets now, has the state museum, and library, has a civic center for events, plenty of restaurants, etc,
as far as moving in surrounding towns, depending if you are working and time of commute, be aware that augusta is the nucleus for state offices, and thousands of state employees, are bumper to bumper commuting home on certain roads, such as rt 202 going to manchester, or 201, going thru hallowell/farmingdale (following the kennebec river) towards gardiner.
id suggest looking at west gardiner, highly reknowned for one of the lowest property tax towns in the region (augusta has high taxes)
west gardiner is 10-15 minutes away from augusta, and feels like "out in the country" yet close to just about any interests, even close to lakes, and streams.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:07 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,371 times
for the state capital, Augusta IS somewhat disappointing. Yes, it has stores - mostly chain, big box, etc and the restaurants are for the most part chain type places. Western Ave (one of the main thoroughfares) is a shambles of strip malls, fast food places, etc.There are many areas of the city that are run down, and it's a shame....the area along the river (Water St. etc) has much potential to be revitalized, but it never seems to happen. However, there are some nice sections...and some nice towns outside of the city, with plenty of rural acreage....just depends on what you're looking for specifically.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 AM

Thanks for your input! We're looking for a smallish town with a downtown area (seems like everyone is looking for this). Within a 30 min. radius of Augusta. We haven't decided where to settle, just trying to narrow it down a little. Thanks again for your help !

Old 03-25-2007, 11:14 AM

monmouth, gardiner, hallowell, winthrop, richmond, are all surrounding towns, within 30 mins. that has a downtown area, check them out on the internet, also, if you come to visit, visit these towns!!

Old 03-25-2007, 11:30 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,251,744 times
Hallowell is nice, with a very small downtown however.

Augusta [i]is[i]a very big disappointment as a capitol city though. Seems a bit shabby and run down. I do go there to shop quite a bit though (I live 45 minute drive away in Boothbay Habor) because it has a super Wal-mart, and lots of chain stores we like (Pier 1 Imports, Gap, Old Navy, Bath and Body Works etc, etc....) And...at the Longhorn Steakhouse they have delicious blood orange margaritas!

Old 03-25-2007, 02:19 PM

now vicky, cut augusta some slack, yes the "downtown" is outdated, but many are in maine...why?? its much more attractive to have a business, where there are more than two parking spots in front of your store, and there's more room for expansion, and easier for cars/traffic to get in and out of.
look at augusta, gardiner, hallowell, they all have very old brick downtowns, that were awesome in thier day, but agin, take gardiner for example, if i were to open a business, would i want to open it, along the mainstreet downtown, or perhaps a bit outside of town on a major traffic artery...i'd prefer the latter.
im sure augusta would like to beautify thier old grand mainstreet, but im sure it would be by taxpayers monies, and then what do you do? tear them down? for a park? millions and millions of dollars, keep in mind to attract huge new business, the cities/counties/state gives tax incentives, that perhaps other businesses have to make up.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:42 PM

16 posts, read 115,712 times
Smile Augusta ( Disgusta?)

I'm not sure where you heard the term Disgusta? but I can see why some People would get the impression. Maine is a very small populated state and not too familiar with the congestion that the bigger towns/cities incorporate. Augusta has grown significantly since I've made the move from Irving ,Texas to Lewiston about 16 years ago and finally settling in a very small town of Mercer,Maine with a population of 648 ( including livestock). I very much enjoy Augusta and the trafic does not impair my frequent trips to this fine City.It has great Historical Culture and friendly people. There is much to do in the Augusta area - Museums,Scenic routes,great shopping just to name a few things. If you prefer a smaller city then Brunswick or Gardner are nice also as is Farmington. I would stay away from Towns like Watervile or perhaps Skowhegan personally. Okay to visit but I would not want to live there.Good Luck to you and Have a safe commute !!

Last edited by irvinggirl; 03-25-2007 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: added info.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinggirl View Post

I'm not sure where you heard the term Disgusta? but I can see why some People would get the impression. Maine is a very small populated state and not too familiar with the congestion that the bigger towns/cities incorporate. Augusta has grown significantly since I've made the move from Irving ,Texas to Lewiston about 16 years ago and finally settling in a very small town of Mercer,Maine with a population of 648 ( including livestock). I very much enjoy Augusta and the trafic does not impair my frequent trips to this fine City.It has great Historical Culture and friendly people. There is much to do in the Augusta area - Museums,Scenic routes,great shopping just to name a few things. If you prefer a smaller city then Brunswick or Gardner are nice also as is Farmington. I would stay away from Towns like Watervile or perhaps Skowhegan personally. Okay to visit but I would not want to live there.Good Luck to you and Have a safe commute !!
Thanks for your input! I personally haven't had a chance to visit Augusta yet. It's been referred to as "Disgusta" on this forum and also in an article I read online once in the Portland Press Herald. I don't believe in judging a book by its cover anyway. I've been to many cities and towns all over the U.S. I can honestly say that there are nice and not so nice parts in every town. Can't wait to check out Augusta and the surrounding area .

Old 03-25-2007, 05:20 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Some conservatives refer to Augusta as "Disgusta"for political reasons -- the Democrats have controlled the legislature for more than 30 years now. Also, Augusta was the last city in Maine to adopt a zoning ordinance, and it shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine