Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times

Advertisements

Ride with caution! I can't believe this pair was riding where they were. The areas near the Outlets aren't safe in the best of times. Bad scene the whole way around. Tragic and preventable.

I just got done talking with one of the wardens who helped retrieve these two snowmobilers out of the East Outlet today. They were not aware, apparently of the ice conditions around East outlet and were discovered frozen in the ice today.

Bodies of 2 missing snowmobilers found in Maine - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/102178.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,970 times
I admit that I have skimmed open water on occasion, but at the same time its often nice having the snowmobiling skills to do so. It has saved my life twice. Skimming a sled on open water is extremely weird and takes a delicate touch (but not on the throttle).

My heart goes out to the families.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,373 times
That's just insane. Even I know better than to try and go out on a frozen body of water at this time of year. Then again, I'm afraid to walk out on it when people are out there ice fishing.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
We just encountered two sledders this weekend, racing on Ell Pond which is still probably safe as far as the ice is concerned, but having little regard for the road that surrounds it. As they exited they launched their machines from the snowbanks on the lake edge directly across the surrounding road at high speed. An unexpected collision with a pedestrian or a vehicle, neither of which would have been able to see them coming, would have been disasterous. As it was timing was in their favor.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
thats a sad deal right there.but it hapens every year.last year there was a guy from embdon who went in.lived in maine his whole life.it can happen to any one.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:01 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
The previous mentioned story by our good friend here in the Greenville area is a true tragedy. Sadly it does happen every year, even to our locals. The fact remains that there are ways to do your homework and obviously use due diligence.

PEOPLE IN MAINE DO RIDE ON THE ICE, to make a statement that those who do are idiots is obviously lack of knowledge of the sport itself.

More research would show that the state of Maine and the tourism industry depend on riders to come to our fine state, ride the ITS trails - (which at times require riding across a lake when safe) - stay at our hotels - dine in our restaurants and buy local fuel, brings in hundreds of thousands dollars in revenue to our state.

Trail conditions are usually updated daily.

Where's The Snow

Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,970 times
ITS Trails are NOT allowed to cross lakes and ponds. They are routed out around them, but local trails can traverse frozen bodies of water.

Unity Pond is a great example of this. The ITS trail goes out around this huge body of water, but all the locals know the trail out around is very rough and long and thus crossing the lake will take you numerous spots faster. Its great when the ice is thick enough, but unfortunately ice melts from the bottom up so who really knows.

I don't go out and deliberately skim open water, but it is a great skill to have because it can save your life. You can't steer on open water, you steer by leaning back and manipulating the sled by weight transfer. You also lean back and get the weight off your skis and obviously clamp the throttle.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Here is the press release from the IFW about the Moosehead tragedy.

Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Press Releases

Old 03-24-2009, 09:27 AM

277 posts, read 891,260 times
Very sad that something like this happened. My heart goes out to the families. It is always hard to lose loved ones.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
This is the correct IF&W link to the Moosehead snowmobile deaths.

Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Press Releases

People do go out onto the ice in March and April in Maine. You need to understand ice and the lake you are on. I wrote a piece in 2007 called "On Ice". You can search it out here. Most inlets and outlets of lakes are always unsafe. Many lakes are spring fed with 50 degree water coming out of the lake bottom and rising to the surface in winter. Some lakes have spring holes that open up in February. Locals know where they are. There can be a dozen pickups parked on a lake and have open water on the same lake. I have seen skidders hauling logs across the Penobscot River from an island to the shore. Most of the time the Penobscot is unsafe for snowmobiles or even foot traffic to cross.

Before you go out on the ice, check with a local person or local game warden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine