Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:52 PM

504 posts, read 902,444 times

Advertisements

Columbine dad touts gun law in Maine - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/103196.html - broken link)

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-06-2009 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: removed copy right material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker2012 View Post
By The Associated Press

AUGUSTA, Maine — The bill would require that a national instant criminal background check be performed prior to the sale of a firearm at a gun show. Mauser said some of the guns used at Columbine were bought at gun shows.
The proposal is one of several gun control bills before the committee.

Columbine dad touts gun law in Maine - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/103196.html - broken link)

Sounds reasonable to me. I can't imagine any responsible gun owner would object.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
They don't tell the truth. I have read the legislation. This would prevent you from giving your grandson your rifle. It would prevent you from loaning your rifle to your own son to go hunting while he is home on leave from Iraq. It would prevent me from buying a gun at a yard sale. It would prohibit me from sighting in a rifle for a friend. It would prevent me from trying a few different firearms before deciding which one to buy.

This bill is not about hunting or target shooting. It is about human rights in Maine. It is also unconstitutional. I object and I am a responsible gun owner, former naval officer, military champion target shooter, life member of the NRA and fine judge of onion soup.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
They don't tell the truth. I have read the legislation. This would prevent you from giving your grandson your rifle. It would prevent you from loaning your rifle to your own son to go hunting while he is home on leave from Iraq. It would prevent me from buying a gun at a yard sale. It would prohibit me from sighting in a rifle for a friend. It would prevent me from trying a few different firearms before deciding which one to buy.

This bill is not about hunting or target shooting. It is about human rights in Maine. It is also unconstitutional. I object and I am a responsible gun owner, former naval officer, military champion target shooter, life member of the NRA and fine judge of onion soup.

i have to agree with nmlm!!!

you cant help but like an onion soup judge

Old 04-06-2009, 06:18 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

Agreed. 100% as a "responsible" gun owner. Criminals, no matter how many laws get placed on the books, will get their hands on guns, and clearly unbalanced people will use them in the fashion that these kids did in Columbine. No law on any book will prevent someone from obtaining a gun. It just makes more hoops for responsible owners to jump through.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
i went on line and read a little more about this.can some one say 2ND amendment.they are trying to stop private sales.if i want to give or sell some one a gun they will have to go through a back ground check.even if i wanted to give my children a gun for their birth day they would have to go through a back ground check.when are people going to realise that it isn't the gun that kills people its the person behind the gun.they can make all the laws they want but if some one wants to hurt some one else with a gun the new law isn't going to stop them.some may say this doesn't hove any thing to do with the 2ND amendment but it does every year they keep chipping away at it and eventually all we will have left is a small peace that says we use to be free.i have a right to own guns and don't think that giving or selling one should be any of the governments business.remember at one time we use to have freedom of speech but nowadays don't say the wrong thing you could find your self in court.it use to be innocent till proven guilty now its prove your not guilty and we will let you go.we as people are letting them take our freedom one vote at a time.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Sounds reasonable to me. I can't imagine any responsible gun owner would object.
Responsible gun owners aren't the problem. Do you know who is?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:34 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Quote:
fine judge of onion soup
and hand cut fries.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,012 times
I held a concealed handgun permit while I lived in Texas. I intent to acquire one here. If you have passed the jumps and hurdles of acquiring a license, you're in a better position than most. You know what you're rights are, what you can do, what you can't, and you know them better than most law enforcement officers do. License holders are required by law to register every gun they own. Not so for non licensed gun owners.
Does it make a difference? I don't think so. As most of you have pointed out, a responsible gun owner is a responsible gun owner. License or no, you either know how to be safe with a gun or you don't. And no matter how many laws you have, it won't matter to the criminals because their thing is getting what they want in spite of the law.
As for requiring immediate background checks at gun shows, that just isn't practical. As someone who used to do it, it takes time to run a complete check. But I do think that people should not be allowed to walk into a gun show, buy a gun, and walk out without having to give some kind of assurance that they are of age and have enough knowledge of guns to handle the weapon responsibly.
As for Columbine, no question that it was a horrific, unthinkable tragedy. But were guns the true source of what happened? No. They were simply the tools, turned to destruction, that made it possible for such a tragedy to happen. Would those boys have found another way, if they hadn't been able to find guns? Probably. The guns may have made that massacre easier, but not impossible to pull of.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
The Schumers of the world use and manipulate victims like this guy to make emotional appeals that end up restricting the rights of honest citizens and that do nothing to slow crime.

Someone nearby and armed would have done more to cut losses at Columbine, and Virginia Tech--and New York State--than this grief stricken father trying to work out his loss by pushing for stupid laws our Founders would never have stood for.

The enemies of freedom have no conscience and no problem using and manipulating people like this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine