Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,470 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will have a small pension, and health insurance in retirement. Both provided by his current employer. If not for this health insurance, we probably would not be able to move to Maine. Our primary reasons for planning to live in Maine in our retirement are the low cost of living, and the relatively low cost of rural land. We can make our pension dollars go a lot further than we could anywhere else, and live in a breathtakingly beautiful forest, with plenty of wildlife to watch and admire. And yet, still be within a reasonable distance of excellent healthcare, for those times when we surely will be needing it.

But if not for that health insurance we will have? There is small chance we could afford to pay for private insurance in Maine, and would likely have to look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 05:35 PM

476 posts, read 747,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
But if not for that health insurance we will have? There is small chance we could afford to pay for private insurance in Maine, and would likely have to look elsewhere.
Are there any Maine residents on this forum who can comment on obtaining private health insurance in your state from first hand experience? If memory serves me, most responses to health insurance queries are from those of you who have coverage either through their employer or through a government/state program of some type.
Being self-employed, we have to purchase our own, and it's brutal here in CA, but my research has shown it's going to be approximately double in Maine. That is, about $1300/mo for 2 people; catastrophic care, $5000/year deductible each, blah, blah.
I've heard 'rumors' that the current governor may make work toward enabling the free market forces necessary to make health insurance more affordable to those who need to purchase it on their own.
Any first-hand input on these statements/possibilities?

Old 01-23-2011, 06:00 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
My husband and I will have a small pension, and health insurance in retirement. Both provided by his current employer. If not for this health insurance, we probably would not be able to move to Maine. Our primary reasons for planning to live in Maine in our retirement are the low cost of living, and the relatively low cost of rural land. We can make our pension dollars go a lot further than we could anywhere else, and live in a breathtakingly beautiful forest, with plenty of wildlife to watch and admire. And yet, still be within a reasonable distance of excellent healthcare, for those times when we surely will be needing it.
Sounds very much like us.

A small pension and healthcare provided by my employer, moved to Maine for mostly the same reasons.

Quote:
... But if not for that health insurance we will have? There is small chance we could afford to pay for private insurance in Maine, and would likely have to look elsewhere.
Okay, but why worry about what if?

Old 01-23-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
Are there any Maine residents on this forum who can comment on obtaining private health insurance in your state from first hand experience? If memory serves me, most responses to health insurance queries are from those of you who have coverage either through their employer or through a government/state program of some type.
Being self-employed, we have to purchase our own, and it's brutal here in CA, but my research has shown it's going to be approximately double in Maine. That is, about $1300/mo for 2 people; catastrophic care, $5000/year deductible each, blah, blah.
I've heard 'rumors' that the current governor may make work toward enabling the free market forces necessary to make health insurance more affordable to those who need to purchase it on their own.
Any first-hand input on these statements/possibilities?
It has been brought up for discussion many times.

From the many links and quotes that have been posted, private health insurance in Maine is terribly expensive.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:08 PM

16 posts, read 35,949 times
Yes, I would like an update on this as well. My wife and I have been wanting to move to Maine from Colorado for the last five years. But then the economy tanked and with it the job market (already a a tough nut to crack in Maine). But health insurance is the real stumbling block in that it's like having a second mortgage. Is there any chance of increased competition in Maine or changes to the state programs to help the self insured? Apparently, it's the same or worse than it's been.

Quote:

Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 753,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Sounds very much like us.

A small pension and healthcare provided by my employer, moved to Maine for mostly the same reasons.

Okay, but why worry about what if?
We must worry about the what if, well not worry so much as understand our financial limitations. Our finances will not allow us to live very comfortably after paying for private insurance in Maine.

We are not planning on living some kind of high life, our plan is a small property of 40-120 acres with a small cabin (800-1200sq ft). A greenhouse to extend the growing season and make our gardening chores easier as we age, some chickens and other fowl, and a couple of sheep or goats. A feeder pig to raise every year or two, and if we are lucky we will have a decently sized pond to fish in. We plan on a simple life, with few expenses. Mainly because the property and cabin will be fully paid for so aside from property taxes our actual living expenses will be pretty modest. Paying for private healthcare would eat into our pension significantly.

So like I said, it isn't a worry, just a factor we had to consider. Fortunately, unless my husband loses his job (which is highly unlikely, but nevertheless possible) we will have our healthcare paid for as a part of his benefits package making Maine an extremely attractive location for us. We just have to stay where we are until he is 58, as he needs to work until then to qualify. It would be nice to retire earlier, but that health benefit is an important part of our plan for our future.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
If you scroll down, it'll show a grid with prices. I don't know how up-to-date is is though, so you'll probably want to call for a quote.

Consumer Guide To Individual Health Insurance : Brochures : Bureau of Insurance

"Standardized Major Medical Plans (Community rates – actual rate may be up to 20% higher or lower based on age and geographic area)"

Old 01-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
If you scroll down, it'll show a grid with prices. I don't know how up-to-date is is though, so you'll probably want to call for a quote.

"Standardized Major Medical Plans (Community rates – actual rate may be up to 20% higher or lower based on age and geographic area)"
Wow, that is a lot of data.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Yep, and if I went with the absolute cheapest family plan rate with a $1500 deductible, it would still be higher than the mortgage on my split-level ranch. This is where I say "Gee I'm glad I'm not self-employed."

Go figure.

Last edited by cebdark; 01-24-2011 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: added

Old 01-24-2011, 07:14 PM

16 posts, read 35,949 times
Thanks very much for the information. Whether or not it's completely up to date, it gives a great starting point. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine