Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:21 PM

742 posts, read 1,229,308 times

Advertisements

Well taking off from the venison debate. i was wondering if anyone had a good beef source ? i am interested in maybe buying a quarter or half. Found one supplier at 2.25 hanging weight plus processing fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 10:02 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,513 times
beef source?
yup shop n save or Shaw's.
or try a slaughterhouse.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:11 PM

well somepeople buy their beef direct from farms and i figured mainers were no different in that regard

Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
some mainers do buy from farms, however if you are thinking of doing so, here's a couple tips- ask/know which are the better breeds, so that its not an old milking cow( if you don't know, ask the experts,( these folks have grown there own cattle, and also are professional butchers) you can call herring brothers in guilford, bisson's in topsham, or fulton curtis in warren (there are many others, these are the ones i know personally) maine has a beef industry council, and there may be much info on the website about buying beef locally)

ask if the cattle is strictly grass fed, or mixed with grain, or "finished" with grain before slaughter, the more grain the better, this gives marbling (flavor and tenderness)
grass fed cows can be very tough and have a gamey flavor, if you arent use to it.

also, be aware that the cost per lb, may look inexpensive, but much of it may be bone it (roasts and steaks (most meat sold in stores are boneless)

also, if you do decide to buy a "side" i strongly recommend it be cut up by professionals, ive seen some real farmer hack jobs and a barn is not the most sanitized place to cut up a critter (not a criticism of farmers, ive been there)

if its important to you study up on the labeling- what does, all natural mean?? grass fed?? naturally raised?? organic??
and
most locally grown beef may not be graded (inspection is by law, grading is voluntary) so prime/choice/select grades arent the measure

my brother bought a side a few years ago (against my wishes, was enticed by cost per lb)) and he could only eat the tenderloin, couldnt eat the rest (too tough, and grassy flavor) so beware, where you buy!

last time i was at herring brothers in guilford, and bissons in topsham, i saw some really nice sides,,well marbled, should eat very well!

i'm use to western beef, have my fav stores to buy from, maine has some very good meat markets, and also some really good butchers in independent stores, i buy from the meat truckload sales, and stock up.

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 09-09-2009 at 04:01 AM..

Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
There are bunches of Farmer's Markets through-out Maine. We have posted the list before. About every FM has farmers who sell their own beef, pork, chicken, and rabbit.

Most FMs have 'buy-in' rules. Vendor's are required to only sell items that he/she has grown. Some FMs allow a set percentage of 'by-in', so maybe a vendor can have 10% of his stuff coming from a neighbor's farm.

In most cases, the meat is all professionally butchered, cut and wrapped; and has the inspection stamps. [I said most cases because the rabbit meat has loop-holes about inspection stamps]. Within my connections in the Maine FM network, I have not met any vendor who holds the licenses to butcher-cut-wrap their own meat. They all hire it done.

You can get grass-fed or grain-fed.

You can visit the farms and tour their herds.

We have a meat-grade bandsaw [7 foot tall machine] that we loaned to a farmer who is setting up a meat store in front of their farm. They are members of the Orono FM. A butcher-cutter comes by their place once a week, so it is all inspected and legal. Their farm straddles the Bangor/Hermon line.

On-the-other-hand I butcher my own meat [though I do not sell meat]. And I know other folks who do their own.

I once toured a barn that had a bandsaw setup, a hanging room, and a walk-in freezer; where they butcher their own meat: I was shocked by how filthy it was.
Their operation is not inspected, it is not licensed. They are not members of a FM. They can not legally sell their meat. But they do sell to their neighbors.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
some mainers do buy from farms, however if you are thinking of doing so, here's a couple tips- ask/know which are the better breeds, so that its not an old milking cow( if you don't know, ask the experts,( these folks have grown there own cattle, and also are professional butchers) you can call herring brothers in guilford, bisson's in topsham, or fulton curtis in warren (there are many others, these are the ones i know personally) maine has a beef industry council, and there may be much info on the website about buying beef locally)

ask if the cattle is strictly grass fed, or mixed with grain, or "finished" with grain before slaughter, the more grain the better, this gives marbling (flavor and tenderness)
grass fed cows can be very tough and have a gamey flavor, if you arent use to it.

also, be aware that the cost per lb, may look inexpensive, but much of it may be bone it (roasts and steaks (most meat sold in stores are boneless)

also, if you do decide to buy a "side" i strongly recommend it be cut up by professionals, ive seen some real farmer hack jobs and a barn is not the most sanitized place to cut up a critter (not a criticism of farmers, ive been there)

if its important to you study up on the labeling- what does, all natural mean?? grass fed?? naturally raised?? organic??
and
most locally grown beef may not be graded (inspection is by law, grading is voluntary) so prime/choice/select grades arent the measure

my brother bought a side a few years ago (against my wishes, was enticed by cost per lb)) and he could only eat the tenderloin, couldnt eat the rest (too tough, and grassy flavor) so beware, where you buy!

last time i was at herring brothers in guilford, and bissons in topsham, i saw some really nice sides,,well marbled, should eat very well!

i'm use to western beef, have my fav stores to buy from, maine has some very good meat markets, and also some really good butchers in independent stores, i buy from the meat truckload sales, and stock up.
Good advice here! We prefer western grain fed beef over the local stuff. Even the new Yuppie favorite, Wolfe's Neck Farm Organic Beef from Freeport has a "grassy" aftertaste to it we do not care for. We have tried lots of local beef over the years and due to that prevelant grassy/gamey taste we have never bought a side of local beef. I'd be sure to try some local beef perhaps several times to see if it is something you'd like to have in quantity before you jump in for a whole side. Something we have done in the past from Bisson's and Commercial Fruit in Portland was wait until their fall "freezer " specials. They would sell you 10 pound lots of a variety of meat and you would pay the " Freezer package" price. It was usually a real good deal and enough to get a family of four through the winter with a good variety.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 AM

ive heard of the concept of buying into a cow so to speak and retrieving your cuts when the meat is matured. i've often thought about doing that

Old 09-09-2009, 10:35 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
A little off topic, but still on the same page I guess...

Does anyone know of any place that retails Wagyu beef (the famous breed that is the primary source of "Kobe" beef from Kobe, Japan) in Maine? I know of one place in the Boston area and they charge about $40/ounce. I've paid less elsewhere ($30/oz is relatively reasonable), but can't find it retail anywhere near me. I'd gladly have my girlfriend in Portland pick some up if it were retailed anywhere around there. I can mail order it, but I just don't trust spending the money and not seeing it in person first.

The stuff is incredible and worth the price (for special occasions, not every "steak night") if you've ever tried it. The approach to cooking it is more on par with cooking an ahi tuna steak than a normal beef steak (meaning, lightly seasoned, thin strips, and seared quickly to produce a cooked exterior and a very rare interior). The steak is marbled to perfection and is ultra tender. I've had it at a few restaurants in the Boston area (never seen it anywhere in Portland), but I'd like to buy a small bit myself. If anyone is familiar with a place that may retail it in Maine, please let me know! Thanks.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:48 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
ive heard of the concept of buying into a cow so to speak and retrieving your cuts when the meat is matured. i've often thought about doing that
I raised and sold beef cattle. My favorite breed is Dexter but I'm also partial to Belted Galloway (oreo cows) and Scottish highland. The best calf we raised was a cross between a Beltie and our Dexter. I named him spot because he had half a belt. It looked like a big white spot on a little black bull. People were horrified that we'd name him Spot AND eat him. I took care of everything up until the time the animal goes to the slaughter house. It was up to the customer to talk with the butcher about the cuts they wanted, thickness of steaks, roasts vs ground, etc. They paid me a deposit in the spring, for transportation to the slaughter house and hanging weight. They paid the butcher for processing when they picked up their meat. If I picked it up when I went for mine they called for their total and brought a check to me. This is also done with pork and lamb. It worked out well for me and my customers.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,550,572 times
Check with MOFGA - Maine Organic Farmers and Gardner's Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine