Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM

503 posts, read 1,026,007 times

Advertisements

Been here just over a month and are still in the hotel. Who'd of thought that it would be this hard to find a place to rent Most places don't allow pets, the ones that do it's dogs only. The few that allow cats bump up either the rent, deposit or both. Our cats are de-clawed so there'd be no damage from that. They've been fixed/neutered so no chance of little ones running around the neighborhood. They're indoor cats exclusively. Since we bought one of those automatic cat boxes accidents are non-existent. We've had them for 12-13 years so giving them up isn't an option. Would love to buy a place but with the cost of running two households the past year until we sold our home in MO has pretty much drained our savings.

Does anyone know someone in the Caribou/PI/Limestone/Fort Fairfield areas that has a place for rent that would allow our cats ? We prefer a 3 br house since we accumulated a bit of stuff over the last 13 years at our home in MO (and we threw alot away lol) so we need the extra bedrooms for a guest bedroom and the other for an office area.

Any help would be apprciated, we might even consider adding you to our Christmas card list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 AM

85 posts, read 184,607 times
are you open to the Mapleton area? I see a few houses for rent on the way to work... if so I can try and get you some phone numbers. Let me know.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atardie View Post
are you open to the Mapleton area? I see a few houses for rent on the way to work... if so I can try and get you some phone numbers. Let me know.
The wife works at Loring so Mapleton might be too far out depending where the places are there. Somewhere between Mapleton and PI might be doable. I'll be working for Cavendishe's so I'll be travleing all over the area so it doesn't matter much to me. Would appreciate it

Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
Been here just over a month and are still in the hotel. Who'd of thought that it would be this hard to find a place to rent Most places don't allow pets, the ones that do it's dogs only. The few that allow cats bump up either the rent, deposit or both. Our cats are de-clawed so there'd be no damage from that. They've been fixed/neutered so no chance of little ones running around the neighborhood. They're indoor cats exclusively. Since we bought one of those automatic cat boxes accidents are non-existent. We've had them for 12-13 years so giving them up isn't an option. Would love to buy a place but with the cost of running two households the past year until we sold our home in MO has pretty much drained our savings.

Does anyone know someone in the Caribou/PI/Limestone/Fort Fairfield areas that has a place for rent that would allow our cats ? We prefer a 3 br house since we accumulated a bit of stuff over the last 13 years at our home in MO (and we threw alot away lol) so we need the extra bedrooms for a guest bedroom and the other for an office area.

Any help would be apprciated, we might even consider adding you to our Christmas card list.
I hear your pain with the pet thing. In other threads we've gone round and round with people who insisted on finding a place to live with their pets. Many of us who were or are landlords have warned would-be renters that rental properties owners who will accept pets are few and far between. Those that will accept pets will likely charge you at least another month's rent as security deposit for damage, sometimes twice that amount. Other places that accept pets are not very well maintained so the landlord doesn't care if your pets tear the place up a bit. You get what you pay for with these places. Evidently you are running into many landlords who have walked the walk with regard to pets.
Your cats could wear diapers and be trained to flush the toilet but that is meaningless to a landlord who has "heard it all before" only to have to replace carpet and wood flooring, doors, or whatever due to the stench of cat urine or from dogs scratching everything up. I'm certainly not insinuating YOUR cats would do that but experience makes most landlords wary of even the best behaved pets. Since you have relatives in the area you might leave the cats with them. It's a better option than staying in a hotel forever. Good luck with your search and I hope you can find a place that will take your cats!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 AM

85 posts, read 184,607 times
I live in Ashland and work on Loring, quite a ride. I know of on place between PI and Mapleton. I dont know if you know of Sleepy Hollow, but the sign is just after the tracks going to Mapleton, maybe 3 miles out of town...still to far?

Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,513 times
ellis apartments in P.I.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atardie View Post
I live in Ashland and work on Loring, quite a ride. I know of on place between PI and Mapleton. I dont know if you know of Sleepy Hollow, but the sign is just after the tracks going to Mapleton, maybe 3 miles out of town...still to far?
I'll have to check with the wife on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Since you have relatives in the area you might leave the cats with them. It's a better option than staying in a hotel forever.
No family in the area, they all live in St. Louis, MO I understand the landlords dilema and understand on paying more because of the cats. Just don't understand how this is basically a rural area and most don't accept pets. And I understand that the potential landlords don't know us or the cats and must go by past experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
ellis apartments in P.I.
Thanks, we'll check in to it.

The wife checked in to one of the townhouses on the base. They said they might be able to help us. Also talked to some one with a place by the Caribou High School. It's all hardwood floors so they might agree to let us rent it. They have to talk to the board first and get back to me. Even the guy that runs the post office where I have a PO Box said he'd check around for us. But admitted that the cats would make it hard.

Thanks for the info and offers of help

Old 09-09-2009, 02:17 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,675,531 times
I don't understand the cat thing either. We have always had a cat and I can attest that dogs do far more damage to a home than cats do. It most likely has more to do with dirty cat boxes than actual cat damage. Some people will let a cat box get pretty rank before they change it and in an apartment setting that smell will permeate the whole building. I think landlords have just given up on finding tennents without dogs these days as it seems everyone has a dog. Perhaps cats are next? Cat lovers unite!

Old 09-09-2009, 02:34 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
I have seen apartments where people have had cats and not cared for them. If a cat doesn't have a clean litter box it will find an alternate place to "go". It can be almost impossible to get rid of the smell of cat urine. You would need to replace carpeting and in many cases the subfloors. I have also seen where cats have used door frames as scratching posts. You end up having to reframe the doors. It's not the cats fault, it's the negligent owner.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:21 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,931 times
You said your wife is already checking on the old base? We were up there this past weekend and saw some for rent signs on the old housing units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine