U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:13 PM

33,211 posts, read 54,481,999 times

Advertisements

Maine is fertile ground for military retirees - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2009/05/08/maine_is_fertile_ground_for_military_retirees/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Maine+news - broken link)

Maine is proving to be an attractive location for military retirees.

The rate in which military retirees are going to Maine is the highest in New England.

Military retiree families in Maine numbered 12,130, an increase of 148 over the previous reporting period.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 05:12 PM

10,264 posts, read 16,651,220 times
Not just military. If you have a moderate to low income, Maine is a good place to live because you'll pay less in taxes.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Not just military. If you have a moderate to low income, Maine is a good place to live because you'll pay less in taxes.
It seems that when I have said that in the past some folks have expressed disagreement.

However, yes I do prefer paying lower taxes.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:39 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 769,359 times
As a DAV and one who will eventually become a full time Maine resident, I was a little surprised that the towns and/or state does not have a better property tax exemption for veterans. But it is nice to hear veterans find Maine a good place to live.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
As a DAV and one who will eventually become a full time Maine resident, I was a little surprised that the towns and/or state does not have a better property tax exemption for veterans. But it is nice to hear veterans find Maine a good place to live.
You pretty much have to be 100% disabled to get that, and then it is not much.

Fortunately we have found property taxes to be so much lower here than in previous states where we have lived that over-all it is a great deal better here.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:38 PM

134 posts, read 485,822 times
Forest.... thanks for article. I know here at Ramstein AB in Germany I was surprise to run across quite a few people that are retired military working as DOD contractors that have said they are planning on moving to Maine as well.... a few have already bought property and others are still in the dreaming phase still.

Maine does allow a 6,000 tax exemption on retired military pay so hey can't complain about that.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 PM

37 posts, read 93,085 times
I'm trying to join you all...I've been waiting >40 days to find if I will be offered employment following my interview.

My spouse makes the trip to the m-box for the snail mail...the suspense is killing us

Old 05-10-2009, 06:15 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 769,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAirForce View Post
Forest.... thanks for article. I know here at Ramstein AB in Germany I was surprise to run across quite a few people that are retired military working as DOD contractors that have said they are planning on moving to Maine as well.... a few have already bought property and others are still in the dreaming phase still.

Maine does allow a 6,000 tax exemption on retired military pay so hey can't complain about that.
In my opinion, for what it's worth, anyone who made a career of serving their country should get a decent tax break. Am glad Maine does this for retired military.

Now, does this mean, say you get 30K pension, before any other deductions are taken, they take off 6K? Meaning you then are only liable for 24K? If so, that is a good deal!

Forrest, you are correct. They subtract 6K from your assessed taxes, which really doesn't amount to very much. If you are 100% or 62 years old you are eligible, if I read it correctly.

I know states differ on the tax exemptions. In Nh each town may or may not give any and some differ on the amounts. For example, my town gives any veteran $300 right off the tax bill and the state allows another $700 for 100% disabled. So I get $1000 taken off my tax bill I pay, not the assessed amount. I know Mass has a pretty good benefit as well.

I haven't really done much homework on how taxes are done in Maine so it may be a wash anyway. Am glad to hear people are satisified about the taxes on income.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAirForce View Post

Yes, the exemption on your pension is nice, it would mean more if a pension was above the mimimun trip-wire for paying taxes though.

So long as your penion is not high enough to pay income taxes, I fail to see the point of having an exemption for it.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
... Forrest, you are correct. They subtract 6K from your assessed taxes, which really doesn't amount to very much. If you are 100% or 62 years old you are eligible, if I read it correctly.
A property tax exemption means that amount is subtracted from the assessed value of your property. Before it is taxed.

A 'homestead' exemption does the same thing. It is applied before the assessed value is taxed.

If your really concerned about your property taxes then; move to an un-organized township. 52% of Maine is UT. Buy 'treegrowth' land and determine to live in a forest.

$1.05 per year per acre is not a bad mil rate. 100 acres and you could be paying $105/year in property taxes each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine