Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 05:44 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times

Advertisements

Speaking of crisp clean air...that was one thing we marvelled at while in all the coastal towns. Our "beach" here at Galveston stinks like dead fish all the time. The whole city stinks. The water stinks - it's brown, too! The air stinks. Dead fish smell everywhere.

We never once smelled that fishy smell in Maine. We stood out on the docks in Belfast and over the cliffs at Acadia and right on the little sandy beach area in Lincolnville (I think that was it) and never, ever smelled dead fish. It was such a pleasant experience!

We enjoyed the fresh, salty air and everywhere else we went away from the water it was truly crisp and clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 02:38 PM

559 posts, read 2,116,232 times
Okay, I am soooo ready to move!!! Just have to convince my husband! It is beautiful here in the Pacific Northwest too, but it rains ALL THE TIME; well, okay, save July, August, and September. :-)

I have always had such a soft spot in my heart for Maine.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:02 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
Okay, I am soooo ready to move!!! Just have to convince my husband! It is beautiful here in the Pacific Northwest too, but it rains ALL THE TIME; well, okay, save July, August, and September. :-)

I have always had such a soft spot in my heart for Maine.
We lived in Bremerton for five years, I seem to recall that it did rain everyday even during those months too.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 14,889 times
It's not even the wildlife (although the birding is fantastic), but more about feeling like a part of a community. If you go to the same store more than once, the people know your name. Truly, it's like Cheers. Bangor is a great community for that kind of inclusiveness. In part it's due to us Mainers dealing with the looong spells of cold/mud but also due to our innate curiousity about other people.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 AM

642 posts, read 1,256,291 times
It's warm enough, but not too warm in summer; cold enough, but not too cold in the winter; crisp enough, but not too crisp in the fall, a bearable spring and no huge, jumping spiders.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:52 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,405 times
Default Things I love about Maine

There are many things I love about Maine.Lobster bake, lobster bisque, lobster roll, lobster thermidore, the list goes on
Also tried skydiving, really overrated.
Just kidding
There's nothing like jumping out of a turboprop at 4000ft with a guy named Roscoe strapped behind you and reassuring you that he's done this before.
Attachment 2711

Attachment 2712

Attachment 2713

Attachment 2714

Last edited by induhvidual; 05-14-2007 at 04:27 PM..

Old 04-11-2007, 06:38 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Ok, now you've gone and done it! I can't WAIT till Lobster Fest!!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Talking and the snakes.....

no jumping "spidahs" or snakes....sounds like it could be part of a song doesn't it?! Couldn't resist....and about the salt air smell...Let me tell you, growing up on the coast, crawling into bed at night, with fresh clean sheets that had been dried outside on the clothesline? Ayuh....AMAZING!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:04 PM

559 posts, read 2,116,232 times
Oh, y'all are killing me!! I'm not even hungry right now, and I want to be at that table eating lobster right now!

It may be cold in the winter in Maine, but at least you don't have 9 months of rain and/or cloudy skies like we do in the Pacific NW....man, I want to move yesterday! Husband has got to read this. Hey, husband.... :-)

Old 04-12-2007, 04:41 PM

117 posts, read 430,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Speaking of crisp clean air...that was one thing we marvelled at while in all the coastal towns. Our "beach" here at Galveston stinks like dead fish all the time. The whole city stinks. The water stinks - it's brown, too! The air stinks. Dead fish smell everywhere.

We never once smelled that fishy smell in Maine. We stood out on the docks in Belfast and over the cliffs at Acadia and right on the little sandy beach area in Lincolnville (I think that was it) and never, ever smelled dead fish. It was such a pleasant experience!

We enjoyed the fresh, salty air and everywhere else we went away from the water it was truly crisp and clean.
I lived in Key West and it literally had an odor to it, as well~lived in Mobile Alabama as well and it smelled horrible, there, because of the paper mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: