Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:26 PM

503 posts, read 1,025,551 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My wife is part of the BRAC move and is already up in Caribou while I try to get the house here in the state of Missouri done and sold. Looks real close now that the house will be on the market soon and hopefully soon after that sold.

My question is, how is the job market up there ? I work for a major retailer and will transfer to the Preaque Isle store. But there's always the chance that they just don't have a spot to put me, I can't expect them to fire someone just to make room for me. So in the off chance of not having a job when I get there, what are my odds of finding one fairly quick ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Like everywhere else, depends on what you are willing to do and how hard you are willing to work. Those who have no preference for days off or a preferred shift are the most likely to succeed in finding employment. But Maine is no better off nor worse off than any other state. I have found that part time work is easier to find than full time work. And part time work is a foot in the door when a more hours become available.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the answer Alice. All valid comments. I'm not a spring chicken anymore altho I'm far from retirement age. I work weekends right now so that's no problem. Rather work days (who doesn't) so I can have time to spend with the wife, but that's flexible too.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:19 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
It seems that overall, jobs are rather tight in this state now.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,633 times
FNolan,
To my eyes because the County doesn't boom during boom times, it also doesn't drop into as big a recession during down times. The economy seems to not have the big cycles other places experience. The biggest drag on the economy up this way is gas/fuel oil prices. Real estate hasn't suffered as far as deflated prices are concerned. Houses are selling, prices haven't fallen off any to speak of. I might be wrong, but I don't know of many folks who have lost their jobs. (and I live here) If your in retail, and even if there is no position in the store you are currently with, I can't believe some store in the mall wouldn't have a position. One thing that does happen in the county is most of the talent is home grown. Someone moving in with a skillset has the upper hand in most cases because they are "shovel ready" (love that term as I watch the $$$ flow into the swamp) and don't need training for whatever that position is that they have the skillset for.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:13 PM

Thank you Austin and Kelly. There are three stores in the area up there, one in PI, one in Houlton and one in Nova Scotia. Houlton is really too far to drive, especially in the winter months in bad weather, and crossing the border daily would be too much of a hassle I presume since 9/11 so the PI store is the only viable store for me. Guess I could do odd jobs for a bit if it comes down to it

Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
Hi everyone. My wife is part of the BRAC move and is already up in Caribou while I try to get the house here in the state of Missouri done and sold. Looks real close now that the house will be on the market soon and hopefully soon after that sold.

My question is, how is the job market up there ? I work for a major retailer and will transfer to the Preaque Isle store. But there's always the chance that they just don't have a spot to put me, I can't expect them to fire someone just to make room for me. So in the off chance of not having a job when I get there, what are my odds of finding one fairly quick ?
Must be with DFAS. Limestone DFAS is a great place with some very good people. I used to live in the Caribou/Presque Isle area and when they did the remodel of the DFAS facility on Loring I was there from start to finish and beyond.

Depending on what you do for the company you are with right now would really determine the answer if there is other alternatives in the area. Caribou/Presque Isle can be a tough place to find work depending on the skill set and work you are looking for. Presque Isle will have the major retailers in that area, and it is the more progressive of the two by far. There are a couple of business' in Presque Isle for every one there are in Caribou. Sears, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, are the big national retailers in Presque, but I suspect you are already employed by either Sears or Wal-Mart so you knew they were there. Presque Isle has a respectable sized Mall for the size of the town and there are quite a few places there to look if there isn't room for you at your present employer. Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the info Bydand.

Yep, the wifes with DFAS. She's been there since Labor Day (Loring, 15+ years with DFAS). And I am with one of the major retailers you pointed out. I've done several jobs with them, from hourly up to hourly management. Was offered salaried management but that's not for me. I've also been known to create flyer's for the store and other desktop publishing for them. Also am the unofficial photographer for functions put on by the company such as river cleanups, repair to underprivileged kids summer camp and others. So I have many skills and others not mentioned. I'm sure I can find something

Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
FNolan -

Welcome!

I have a friend who works at DFAS. He seems to like it. They keep offering him transfers to other centers [mostly overseas with massive pay raises] but he refuses them. He wants to stay right here.

Loring is a nice area.

One of our sons is there now going through the Job Corp program. He really likes it.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the welcome forest The wife and I have taken a few vacations to Maine over the years, that's why we choose Loring over the other areas that were offered. I'm originally from Central NY and miss the change of seasons. My wife is from St. Louis and never saw a New England fall so I took her there in Oct of 2005. She said that one way or another we were moving there whether it was for work or retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine