U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 10,888 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm thinking about bailing on hurricane ravaged South FL and moving to Maine.

My question has to do with all the mean/median income figures I see posted and all the worst-tax-state etc mess I'm finding.

When they say mean or whatever income is like 25k, whats that really mean to me if I want to compare my prospective income? I can't believe half the people in Maine are making less than that and survivng so I believe thats somehow skewed by including nonworking children and fixed income seniors in the mix. Supposing the company I'm looking at will offer me 70-75k putting me at about 3 times the median figure + my wife will work (although I dont know what she will make as an administrative assistant in Maine, 37k here in S. FL in construction industry with 5 years exp at major construction company) Does that mean we will be pretty much set up?

I'm looking at a Lewiston job but don't really want to live in Lewiston. I'm torn between trying to buy a small farm in commuter distance to the job and trying to situate closer to Portland so my wife doesn't have a total meltdown when there are no malls, no spas, no good thai food or sushi joints etc. She's not spoiled or anything its just that she has never lived in a small town or even a small city. NY, NJ and Miami her whole life.

Initially I was quite excited as I love to mountain bike, kayak, ride ATVs etc and have no real problem with snow except I might have to unload my beloved Acura RSX for something with all wheel drive and a little more snow clearance (WRX maybe?), but the more I read on here and other places the more I wonder if I should revisit anther company thats interested in me based out of Seattle or up my askin prices to move to Maine.

What do you all think? is 70-75k(ish) + an admin's income a lot for the midway between Portland and Lewiston area?

Will the 35 minutes I think it took me to take 95 from lewiston to Portland in off traffic hours (I was up there for a couple days last week to interview) hold up and only get a lil (say 25-50%) longer in the winter? If I commute North to Lewiston and she South to Portland it might be best as she will see real city life each day and not feel so isolated.

And finally, Will my wife completly freak out when I move her city butt self out to boondocks Maine?

Please help me out here, I may need to make this decision as early as mid week and I don't know how long I can stave off an answer while waiting to hear from the Seattle company. They (Seattle) have requested a face to face after our couple of phone interviews which went very well but I don't know how long it will take them to cough up a ticket for my flight, could be as long as a couple of weeks. Even if that goes well, I think I'd get more money and I know I could get a nice house/yard etc but farm and 2 horses would deffinatly be out of the question.

By the way my particular job (Senior footwear designer w/6yrs exp + considerable asia travel and some mandarin language skills) is rather rare so I don't think there is much local competition but also I don't think I could find another job once I'm up there (I couldn't get my portfolio looked at by LL Bean, maybe because Im from FL?). So an additional job change after the fact would deffinatly require me to relocate again, at least down to MASS.

Thnx for your help,

GatorBait
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2006, 05:59 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,714,634 times
Default real cost of living vs median income stats?

You actually have a job offer in the footwear industry in Maine that will pay you $75,000? Or you just think that is what you will have to have in order to move to Maine?

If you have an income already of $75,000 a year, you can be live like a king, depending on whether or not you just like to spend that much each year. The average family of four lives on about a quarter of that here, and what that means for most. Most houses are fueled by oil, and the impact of the rising oil prices is going to be be played out here over the next year or so, as more and more people have a harder and harder time making ends meet. figure too, that gasoline prices are closing in on $3 per gallon, and that can't help.

But by far, before you get any further in your planning, you need to come to Maine with your wife and spend at least a month traveling around, and looking at various parts of the state. When you speak of "South Florida", I can state without any hesitation that regardless of which coast you are speaking of, you will find NOTHING in Maine that even resembles what you and your wife now accept as "normal". If you wife is dedicated to going to this mall today, and that mall tomorrow, and THAT mall the next day, then she is either going to have to learn something new, or she will probably be moving back to Florida after the first winter, when traveling to ANY mall is made more difficult by last night's snowfall.

The greater Portland area is much more congested than anywhere else in Maine, and although the Maine Mall area in South Portland is city sprawl like all the other sprawl, a dedicated South Florida "shopper" will burn all of that through in about two months.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:14 AM

9 posts, read 38,522 times
Hi:
I relocated here after having been a successful builder/developer in Florida, after my 8 month retirement from construction in Mass. proved too boring to continue. That gig lasted almost 20 years. I had re-retired again in 2000, and stayed a while in San Diego before moving to Maine.

Your questions are valid: based on my current position of CEO of three businesses that are start-up micro-enterprizes, I can relate to your questions regarding taxation etc. as formed in your message. Perhaps a visit to the next three web sites will be of help.
removed -click on "our town" sections for an overview of the smaller towns that do not qualify as areas such as Portland or Lewiston.

Here is a hint, however, about fulfilling your wishes for keeping it the same as it was in the town/city in which you are contemplating leaving; Maine is so different from any other place you've experienced; it is in a person's best interest to come here without expectations, but rather, internally agreeing to try to find a niche in which you may be of service to others, a help to your community, becoming a mentor of the young, a solace to the old, and a credit to your own life as you define it.

One of the best things about Maine is that it is a place ripe with opportunity for those who have vision, courage, and are willing to make saccrifices in order to re-establish sanity into one's existance....finding that being alive is not the same thing as experiencing life is a good starting point. I have lived here for five years, and can not imagine being any other place ever again. In order to be successfully integrated into the fabric of this place, I have spent hundreds of hours a year in volunteer work that has taught me valuable lessons, gained some friends, and afforded the opportunity to learn this place in a non-competitive atmosphere. Perhaps you'd like to try that; take a vacation some place in Maine, and volunteer to help out some way, and hang out with others who live there permanently....that is how to learn Maine, and we would welcome you.

By the way; Maine gets hurricanes too, and Nor'easters, and blizzards, and if you are looking for a perfect world, this is not the right plannet.

Last edited by Marka; 07-05-2006 at 01:43 AM..

Old 07-05-2006, 01:30 AM

534 posts, read 2,984,785 times
As someone who has lived in both, if you value your career, Seattle would be a safer bet. Wages are much lower in Maine, and jobs much harder to come by. The 25k average is probably accurate. Quality of life, probably better in Maine for families, but it's not much better than Metro Seattle.

For the sake of your significant other (shopping,etc), you would probably want to live somewhere within 30 minutes of Portland or Bangor. In terms of modern day conveniences, those are the two major pillars of civilization for the state.

I like what someone posted above:

One of the best things about Maine is that it is a place ripe with opportunity for those who have vision, courage, and are willing to make saccrifices in order to re-establish sanity into one's existance

Maine is a great place for self motivated people who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. You probably won't get rich, but your mind will be sane.

Last edited by chris; 07-05-2006 at 01:33 AM..

Old 07-05-2006, 10:53 AM

20,479 posts, read 24,361,497 times
I currently live in the Seattle area. Do not move here. Yes, the mountains, ocean, and green are gorgeous. The coffee is great. But the city and environs themselves...they're a pit. Urban sprawl is out of control. Traffic is terrible. Public transportation is a joke. Public schools are struggling. The private schools are unaffordable. Crime is out of control. Illicit drug use is rampant. Gangs control neighborhoods, and the police are losing the battle.

Do not move to western Washington. Especially if you have kids.

If you have a job offer that'll pay you $75k in Maine, grab it and go. If not, give 'em my name so I can get out of here.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 44,637 times
Hello, I am 60 years old and would like to move to maine. I have a very limited budget but should be able to buy a house for around 100, 000 to 130, 000 price range. but my retirement income is very low. Is maine a good place or am I barking up the wrong tree? what part of maine would you suggest? I like volunterring and meeting new people and customs. I currently live in Los Angeles, CA and I hate the rat race.

Kameron

Old 09-30-2007, 06:12 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,489,530 times
gatorbait-
you would be wise to listen to acadialion and alioness ( perhaps related?!)
and heed their advice.

Moving to Maine from a major metropolitan area is an intense cross-cultural like experience! I would not want your marriage to suffer if it indeed turned out to be more than either you or your wife could handle.

It sounds like you and perhaps your wife have outdoor/nature interests. Those interests will help you meet other like-minded individuals and will help you in your transition. However your wife will be sorely disappointed in the Maine mall and outlet shopping if she is used to NY, NJ or Miami malls.

Your estimated combined income is excellent for Maine! Congratulations!
Best of luck!

Also, you might want to check and see if Cole Hahn still has a large office in Falmouth.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 PM

6,953 posts, read 8,090,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingseas View Post
Hello, I am 60 years old and would like to move to maine. I have a very limited budget but should be able to buy a house for around 100, 000 to 130, 000 price range. but my retirement income is very low. Is maine a good place or am I barking up the wrong tree? what part of maine would you suggest? I like volunterring and meeting new people and customs. I currently live in Los Angeles, CA and I hate the rat race.

Kameron
It depends on what sort of lifestyle you are looking for. You can find inexpensive housing outside of the cities, especially if you don't mind "manufactured" housing. You can get some good deals on land.

The trade-off is that, leaving the "rat-race", some things that you might take for granted will not be immediately available.

What sort of lifestyle do you expect to lead after your exit from the "rat-race"?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:24 PM

33,651 posts, read 55,281,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingseas View Post

Kameron
I was born and raised in in California, I have owned a home there and most of my family still lives there.

From my experiences, your money will go further here in Maine than it will in California.

However getting fresh fruits and veggies is difficult and they are more expensive.

You can spend 100,000 on a house here if you wish, to spend that much.

I am retired on pension, and I have been able to buy 42 acres of forest land on the Penobscot river. I have been building our new home, and we are enjoying ourselves doing it.

I understand that you are older than I am, and not as likely to wish to build a new house. If you would be interested in an older farmhouse out in the countyside, you will have many to choose from around here.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 AM

7,727 posts, read 11,693,165 times
As an older American, you will find your house budget will go further here and if you're the type to bargain shop and stock up on items on sale you will be fine on a limited income. I can and freeze a lot of produce in season, I also sew my own curtains, quilts and such, buying fabric when it's a good price. I also find that these are great things to keep busy during inclement weather. You will want to be within a short drive to a well recomended Dr.'s office and hospital. There are many agencies to help seniors with pertinent issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine