Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:51 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435
... Our Honda will be 15 years old when I move up. The Subaru will be 9 years old. The taxes should not be too bad for them? We plan to keep them a lot longer. We might need another car (college student, etc.).

Is buying a new car that expensive in Maine? A basic Subaru or Honda?
It is all open to perspective.

Maine folks will die before admitting that you have higher taxes elsewhere. Such would be against the Maine religion that Maine has "high taxes".

I have found that the taxes are remarkably lower here in Maine in terms of dollars spent [US dollars of legal tender that is].

Before folks start once again sending me flaming DMs, let me say here, that this is only from my experiences living in Maine. I do not own a $5million ocean-front house, I rarely buy new cars, and I do not own a yacht. So if you do own such things, then your experiences may be different. Perhaps the tax collectors pull out an entirely different set of rules for taxing Billionaires. For us poor folk though taxes are not bad in Maine, as compared to the rest of the nation.

It is possible that I have lived in too many places to really have the proper perspective for truly comparing such things. Folks who have never been outside of Maine tend to know much better how taxes are higher here, from their experiences.

We bought a new Chevy Aveo last year, I did not think it was painfully expensive. We have paid higher taxes for vehicles previously.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 07:55 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Virginia has this annual tax too, but it's usually called "the dreaded car tax." According to the VA website, the tax is $4.57 for every $100 value of the car. A car worth $5000 would be taxed $228.50, according to them.

What would the excise tax be for this $5000 car in Maine?
Don't forget though, the excise tax is figured on MSRP when NEW not a used valuation.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:57 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5
... North Carolina has property tax on vehicles as well. The link you provided only went to 6 year old vehicles. Our vehicle is 8 years old but I used the year 6 figure. We will be saving roughly $60.00 on car tax when we move to Maine
Boy you are really going to upset folks by saying that.

Dont say it too loud.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Don't forget though, the excise tax is figured on MSRP when NEW not a used valuation.
Correct! and this makes it confiscatory and borderline criminal...yet we continue to pay it!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It is all open to perspective.

Maine folks will die before admitting that you have higher taxes elsewhere. Such would be against the Maine religion that Maine has "high taxes".

I have found that the taxes are remarkably lower here in Maine in terms of dollars spent [US dollars of legal tender that is].

Before folks start once again sending me flaming DMs, let me say here, that this is only from my experiences living in Maine. I do not own a $5million ocean-front house, I rarely buy new cars, and I do not own a yacht. So if you do own such things, then your experiences may be different. Perhaps the tax collectors pull out an entirely different set of rules for taxing Billionaires. For us poor folk though taxes are not bad in Maine, as compared to the rest of the nation.

It is possible that I have lived in too many places to really have the proper perspective for truly comparing such things. Folks who have never been outside of Maine tend to know much better how taxes are higher here, from their experiences.

We bought a new Chevy Aveo last year, I did not think it was painfully expensive. We have paid higher taxes for vehicles previously.

No one is going to flame you anymore Forest, we've heard it all before. You have found tax nirvanna here in Maine and we're happy you have done better than the he77 you came from. The rest of us are not happy with the taxes levied on us and find them to be not only unreasonably high but almost criminal in their confiscatory nature. If every road in Maine was repaved every other year I'd have much less to say about the excise tax.
The fact is that every road in Maine is horrible and much worse than they were just 10 years ago! If I pay a high tax (my opinion, obviously) for registering a car I should at least see some road and bridge improvements for my tax dollars. What do I see instead? My money going to the GENERAL FUND which sees it's way fit to pay out millions in welfare to deadbeats and do nothings and oh yes and the new immigrant populations well intentioned churches have seen fit to invite over here from Somalia and Sudan to name a few! (see recent incidents in Portland)
Oh joy, lets just spread the wealth! I just want the damn roads fixed! Is that too much to ask???

Last edited by Maineah; 05-28-2009 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,082,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Taxing on MSRP isn't a fair way to go about it because no one pays sticker price, but other states are obviously taxing a greater amount on blue book value or what ever else they would use to determine the price of a used car. I wish I could sell my car for the value that they(county tax collectors) have set on it!!!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
Taxing on MSRP isn't a fair way to go about it because no one pays sticker price, but other states are obviously taxing a greater amount on blue book value or what ever else they would use to determine the price of a used car. I wish I could sell my car for the value that they(county tax collectors) have set on it!!!
Sell it and send them a bill for the difference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine