Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:13 PM

134 posts, read 514,807 times

Advertisements

We are in the final stages of our move back to Maine from Germany. My wife and I are both retired Air Force and are shipping back a 2004 and 2007 vehicle. We know we will have to pay excise tax on them when registering them but are we going to get hit with any type of sales tax?

Tks in advance for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 05:08 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,332 times
Found this online...so sounds like you will pay sales tax...

"Buying a new or used car from a dealer frees you from filing registration and title papers on your own. Confirm, however, with your dealer that he is indeed submitting the paperwork.

Otherwise, if you just moved to Maine or just purchased a used car from a private party, you must, after paying the vehicle's excise tax, submit the following:

The signed-over title, if your car is less than 16 years old. (If the title is lost or illegible, replace it.) Proof of vehicle insurance. The signed Bill of Sale. White and yellow copies of the registration application. Payment for 5% sales tax. Payment for $33 title application fee. Payment for registration fee (varies by choice of license plate). Keep in mind, you'll need proof your vehicle passed an annual safety inspection once it's registered. Too, Cumberland County also requires emissions tests."

Also you will need to file paperwork with Customs to import the vehicles. I believe they need the original title three days prior to the vehicle arriving in the states. Most importantly, be certain the vehicles meet U.S. EPA emission standards. There will be a sticker on the engine stating it meets US standards. It might also be on the door panels. If no sticker, they might still meet emission standards, but you will need a letter from the manufacturer on their stationery stating it complies. You can get that from a local dealer for a few bucks. Bottom line is cars made for Europe are built for European standards. Even if those standards exceed US standards, the vehicle must have that sticker stating it meets US standards...or the manufacturer's letter stating your VIN meets US standards. It wouldn't be pretty to pay many $$$ to ship them only to find you can't import them once they arrive.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:27 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
There are shops that specialize in 'grey market' cars, at each port of entry. You have to make arrangements before you ship, with them to fix-up a vehicle [to bring them to Fed standards if needed]. The customs inspectors who handle your pack-out will know if such is needed.

I very nearly shipped a grey-market jag limo once. Those V12 engines are real nice.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:46 PM

Yes both vehicles are U.S. spec and have the stickers and all the customs paperwork and were purchased new from vendors here that sell to U.S. military. Just wanted to check on the sales tax issue. I was thinking we would have to (it varies from state to state). So 5% sales tax on the new purchase price a few years ago or that price with a depreciated value is the question.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:08 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
If it was registered in another state there is no sales tax.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:19 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
If you bought the cars elsewhere while a resident of someplace other than Maine, you won't have to pay sales tax when you register the cars in Maine. For example, if I bought a car in Virginia while living in Virginia, then later moved to Maine, I would not have to pay sales tax in Maine when I registered the car.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 PM

300 posts, read 757,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Found this online...so sounds like you will pay sales tax...

"Buying a new or used car from a dealer frees you from filing registration and title papers on your own. Confirm, however, with your dealer that he is indeed submitting the paperwork.

Otherwise, if you just moved to Maine or just purchased a used car from a private party, you must, after paying the vehicle's excise tax, submit the following:

The signed-over title, if your car is less than 16 years old. (If the title is lost or illegible, replace it.) Proof of vehicle insurance. The signed Bill of Sale. White and yellow copies of the registration application. Payment for 5% sales tax. Payment for $33 title application fee. Payment for registration fee (varies by choice of license plate). Keep in mind, you'll need proof your vehicle passed an annual safety inspection once it's registered. Too, Cumberland County also requires emissions tests."

Also you will need to file paperwork with Customs to import the vehicles. I believe they need the original title three days prior to the vehicle arriving in the states. Most importantly, be certain the vehicles meet U.S. EPA emission standards. There will be a sticker on the engine stating it meets US standards. It might also be on the door panels. If no sticker, they might still meet emission standards, but you will need a letter from the manufacturer on their stationery stating it complies. You can get that from a local dealer for a few bucks. Bottom line is cars made for Europe are built for European standards. Even if those standards exceed US standards, the vehicle must have that sticker stating it meets US standards...or the manufacturer's letter stating your VIN meets US standards. It wouldn't be pretty to pay many $$$ to ship them only to find you can't import them once they arrive.
You will have to import the vehicles into the US through Customs, and should be exempted tariffs on them unless you did not register the vehicles before--though you likely did, as the vehicles are not brand new. Also, make sure it is you the owner accompanying the vehicles when you wish to make entry.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks everyone. Not worried about the customs portion as we have all that paperwork and that is covered. The vehicles were registered here on the military base in Germany and we have a special NATO shipping plate that we will be able to drive on for 30 days when getting back prior to registering. Just not sure as we have friends that (in other states) that were/are the same situation but got hit with sales tax as the vehicles had been registered however not in one of the 50 states. Guess we will see.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:13 PM

OK finally called the Maine DMV registration and Joanne was very nice... she gave me the number over to the sale tax folks and I called them... long story short... as long as we can produce (which we can) our registrations from the Air Force Base here in Germany, we will not have to pay sales tax. Yes we are more than happy. Just excise tax and the cost to transfer our licenses and tada .... we are good to go. Thanks everyone.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAirForce View Post
OK finally called the Maine DMV registration and Joanne was very nice... she gave me the number over to the sale tax folks and I called them... long story short... as long as we can produce (which we can) our registrations from the Air Force Base here in Germany, we will not have to pay sales tax. Yes we are more than happy. Just excise tax and the cost to transfer our licenses and tada .... we are good to go. Thanks everyone.
Don't forget that Maine charges that excise tax EVERY TIME you go to re-register the car. It's not a one shot deal like in most civilized states. The excise tax is based on the suggested retail price of the car if new or the NADA high retail selling price if used not the actual price you paid for the car. The tax does decrease over time but will always be far more than it is in other states. This tax is one of the primary reasons Mainers refuse to buy new cars in numbers approaching what other states buy. Old cars equals low excise tax. I have complained about this unfair and confiscatory tax to my elected representatives for years and my complaints have always fallen on deaf ears. It is a primary source of state funding, fair or not, and seems to be here to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine