Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times

Advertisements

I've been good for a long time! I played in canoes, bought cars for the kids, paid for college stuff, did alot of home improvements, and frankly,damn it, I want a boat (again).
The last boat we had was in 1998. It was a 19 foot center console with a 115hp Yamaha outboard and boy wasn't that thing sweet! We went all over the place in that thing. A favorite trip was to Boothbay for the day to have a nice lunch and grab a bag of freshly made peanut butter kisses at the salt water taffy place or over to the Dolphin Marina in Harpswell for a bowl of lobster stew and a blueberry muffin or maybe to the fireworks on the 4th in Portland, blue fishing, striper fishing or just exploring the tidal inlets at high water on a sunny day..it was all great fun! I miss it a lot! Hey gas is cheap(er) comparitively! You only live once!..right???..she'll never go for it..... Well I can dream!

Old 05-29-2009, 04:27 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
So what's holdin ya back, Mainah? Sounds like you have one comin to ya. You make it sound really good. h**l I may go talk to the marine shop here; tell Pike I want an Eastporter.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:11 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Holey Moley, whatcha waiting for? There are so many people in less than good shape selling their toys!!!! I bet you can get a good deal on a boat now. It's a buyer's market. Go for it!

Old 05-29-2009, 05:24 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,291 times
You got that right! I have heard many people can't sell their boats and can't afford to put them in the water. Should be a great time to buy. We went to the spring boat show in Newport R.I. a few weeks ago and we now have the bug to.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:27 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I've been good for a long time! I played in canoes, bought cars for the kids, paid for college stuff, did alot of home improvements, and frankly,damn it, I want a boat (again).
The last boat we had was in 1998. It was a 19 foot center console with a 115hp Yamaha outboard and boy wasn't that thing sweet! We went all over the place in that thing. A favorite trip was to Boothbay for the day to have a nice lunch and grab a bag of freshly made peanut butter kisses at the salt water taffy place or over to the Dolphin Marina in Harpswell for a bowl of lobster stew and a blueberry muffin or maybe to the fireworks on the 4th in Portland, blue fishing, striper fishing or just exploring the tidal inlets at high water on a sunny day..it was all great fun! I miss it a lot! Hey gas is cheap(er) comparitively! You only live once!..right???..she'll never go for it..... Well I can dream!

Me, too. But make mine a vintage Old Town, Thompson, Skiffcraft, Chris Craft wood lapstrake open runabout with varnished topsides and white hull. Abouit ninety horspower makes a nice combination on about a nineteen foot boat. As an alternative, I would consider an early Lyman or Chris Craft Sea Skiff.

Of course, the ultimate dream boat that I would love to have is a big Chris Craft Sea Skiff...26 feet...the model with two 283 Chevy V8's. I mean, if gas is cheap, why not?

Maybe later. That's right after I get the new house built. Right after I get the big barn for the new house built. Right after I get my DW's new huge kitchen and bath built. Right after, right after, right after.....sigh.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:54 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I drooled over boats for a long time, and just didn't have the $ to drop on one. I traded an old trailer I had out back and never used for the stripped out bare hull of a 1958 Lonestar ElDorado that is 18" long a few years back and puttered around with it for almost 3 years before the ol' girl saw water. It's old, but it has a beautiful shape to it and hasn't cost me hardly anything overall. I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money just because of the "bond" I formed working on it and literally bringing it back from the dead (the hull was bound for the scrapyard for metal recycling when I talked the old guy into needing a trailer more than a few dollars for the metal weight)

Now that said my dream boat is right there in Yarmouth, ME. Black Lab All-Welded Plate Alloy™ Aluminum Center Console and Pilothouse Boat Manufacturer

Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You should have one, being a Maineah in Maine! Go boat shopping today!

Do those excise taxes apply to boats too?

Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I drooled over boats for a long time, and just didn't have the $ to drop on one. I traded an old trailer I had out back and never used for the stripped out bare hull of a 1958 Lonestar ElDorado that is 18" long a few years back and puttered around with it for almost 3 years before the ol' girl saw water. It's old, but it has a beautiful shape to it and hasn't cost me hardly anything overall. I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money just because of the "bond" I formed working on it and literally bringing it back from the dead (the hull was bound for the scrapyard for metal recycling when I talked the old guy into needing a trailer more than a few dollars for the metal weight)

Now that said my dream boat is right there in Yarmouth, ME. Black Lab All-Welded Plate Alloy™ Aluminum Center Console and Pilothouse Boat Manufacturer
I like that boat! Yarmouth is next door! I'll have to scoot over and see if I can find the place. Hey what's $100,000 when you're having fun??!!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Me, too. But make mine a vintage Old Town, Thompson, Skiffcraft, Chris Craft wood lapstrake open runabout with varnished topsides and white hull. Abouit ninety horspower makes a nice combination on about a nineteen foot boat. As an alternative, I would consider an early Lyman or Chris Craft Sea Skiff.

Of course, the ultimate dream boat that I would love to have is a big Chris Craft Sea Skiff...26 feet...the model with two 283 Chevy V8's. I mean, if gas is cheap, why not?

Maybe later. That's right after I get the new house built. Right after I get the big barn for the new house built. Right after I get my DW's new huge kitchen and bath built. Right after, right after, right after.....sigh.
You would have loved the lake we were at in Western New York last summer when we dropped my son off at college. I know I'll screw up the spelling of the town but it was Skaniateles or something like that pronounced skinny atlas as we were told. The lake is slate bottomed and one of the cleanest lakes in the world. Many of the houses have boat houses along the shore and guess what the craze is? Old wooden Chris crafts all over the place. Beautiful boats in immaculate shape. They cruise in to the town dock as the owners head to the restaurant for dinner then cruise on up the shore and home. It was something!

Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
You should have one, being a Maineah in Maine! Go boat shopping today!

Do those excise taxes apply to boats too?
Yes the excise tax is much lower on boats but there is still a tax. They toyed with a luxury tax on boats though that was killed by the boat building lobby which is big in Maine.

As much as I'd love to do it I don't think we'll be boating this summer. Too much other stuff going on to justify it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine