Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:37 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,043 times

Advertisements

Hopefully someone can help me out with obtaining a driver's license (first license) for a teen in Maine.

We currently live in Virginia (military husband). Our son is 16. He took the required driver's ed. class and received the certificate of completion. He could now go on to obtain a driver's permit and then the driver's license, but it requires 45 hours of practice--15 hours must be at night. (I wonder if sitting in rush hour traffic on the Beltway would count as part of the 45 hours? )

Our son does not want/need to drive here in DC. He rides a bus to school. We move to Maine as soon as he graduates from high school here (2 years). Should he wait and secure a license in Maine when we move? Or would it be better for him to do it here, since he did the class work here, and switch it to Maine when we move?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 03:58 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
Get it now in case he needs it. It's easy to transfer when you get here.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:06 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,931 times
I don;t believe that you can get a Maine license and have an address in Va. I know that when I was in the USAF in NJ me, my ex, and my daughter (initial license) had to have NJ licenses. Even with my home of record here in Maine my permanent address was NJ. I think insurance and state gov't make you have the registration and license at your current address and where the car is principally parked. Let him get a Va. license. It will transfer just fine later. And good luck with traffic.

Almost forgot, try the Maine DMV: http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/licenses/index.html

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 05-29-2009 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: lack of memory. I think.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:16 PM

Thank you for responding, Maine Writer. You are right. It's probably best to just get it done now.

The DC area is brutal for a teen learning to drive. I used to enjoy driving, until we moved here.

Hello, retiredtinbender! You posted while I was typing--Thank you for the link! Like Maine Writer said, it will be much easier for my son to transfer a valid driver's license over to Maine rather than start the whole process as an unlicensed driver in Maine.

Last edited by Fern435; 05-29-2009 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: added reply to retiredtinbender

Old 05-29-2009, 04:19 PM

357 posts, read 1,019,005 times
if he does not needs/wants then wait, add a teenager to car insurance policy could double your premium.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
if he does not needs/wants then wait, add a teenager to car insurance policy could double your premium.
Exactly. This is another concern. If our son obtains the license but chooses to not drive, I'm guessing we'll still be required to have him on the insurance as an occasional driver. Maybe we'll wait a few more months, to minimize the amount of time he's on it.

He truly does not have a need to drive here, nor does he want to due to the terrible driving abilities of many of the people here. The process is very tedious. Among other things, they require each teen to show up with a parent at the courthouse at 8 am to be given the license (one ceremony a month--not a weekend). I am not making this up! Things are very weird here. It's why I'm being pretty cautious. That and the 45 hours of driving practice in the DC area!

Waiting until Maine sounded pleasanter to us!

Old 05-29-2009, 05:03 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
Maine would give a license to a monkey if it could sign it's name. Wait until you come here.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Maine would give a license to a monkey if it could sign it's name. Wait until you come here.
Note to self: Teach son how to sign his name. Two years ought to be enough time.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,311 times
Quote:
Motorcycles too.

My 15 year old neice is taking driving classes now at Foxcroft Academy after school. Now her priorities are boys, driving, her computer, boys and summer vacation. Is there anything else?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:41 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,152 times
Quote:
This isn't true at all. Maine's driving test was made much more difficult about 10 years. My daughter got her license when we lived in Georgia. It is very easy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine