Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 AM

5 posts, read 15,578 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, I am moving to P.I. for college. I have a couple of questions... any good local restaurants that I should know about?

I also have a reptile that is coming with me that requires crickets for its diet. I am curious if there are any pet stores in the region, or perhaps I will need to stock up while I am in Bangor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,684,940 times
Have you ever been to Presque Isle? There are few restaurants to choose from. There's a good chinese place on main st. I don't know about the bugs though they are always adding stores down by the Wal-Mart and Lowe's . There may be a pet place around there somewhere.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:15 PM

973 posts, read 2,384,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehiker View Post
I also have a reptile that is coming with me that requires crickets for its diet. I am curious if there are any pet stores in the region, or perhaps I will need to stock up while I am in Bangor?
Nearest cricket supply is in Houlton. (45 miles) Don't remember the name of the store, but they have a tack shop as well. It's on Main St. I know there are none closer to Presque Isle because I know people from PI who come to Houlton for crickets.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:02 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
there is a chinese restaurant on main st.
and "governors" fairly close to the campus (headin towards main st)

Old 06-09-2009, 07:27 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,878,609 times
Little dump right downtown by the railroad tracks that has some real good food and decent sized portions as well it is named the Riverside. When I lived there I never went to Governors in PI, it was always hit or miss if you were going to get a good meal or have to send half of it back because it stunk. Don't know if they are still open, but I ALWAYS got a good meal at the Irish Setter pub. The flat iron steak at Slopes was always a very good bet and reasonable priced as well.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:42 PM

973 posts, read 2,384,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The flat iron steak at Slopes was always a very good bet and reasonable priced as well.
Slopes went through a bankruptcy sale a couple months ago, don't know if it's reopened yet or not...don't think it's open now though.

and Pat's pizza is home to many meals of UMPI co-eds.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,878,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Slopes went through a bankruptcy sale a couple months ago, don't know if it's reopened yet or not...don't think it's open now though.

and Pat's pizza is home to many meals of UMPI co-eds.
I was wondering how long they would last. Poor planning on the owners part. Way too big for the area to support.

Pat's has some great food! Can't believe I forgot about them. My favorite isn't even on the menu - toasted BBQ chicken sandwich with cheese. They removed it from the menu about 8 years ago, but will still make it if you ask for it.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:25 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,203,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehiker View Post
Hello folks, I am moving to P.I. for college. I have a couple of questions... any good local restaurants that I should know about?

Welcome to UMPI, my Alma mater many years ago. Presque Isle has really grown since then. Are you bringing a car? Everything in northern Maine is spread out. I lived up there three years ago and was surprised at the shopping now. Many of the restaurant chains are out by Walmart (KFC, Arby's, Burger King, Pizza Hut etc). There is also a pretty nice Chinese Restaurant near there too. Out by the airport is Winnie's that serves great hamburgers, hotdogs, and some seafood. They also serve ice cream all year round which is something I really missed many years ago. In the warmer months Houlton Farms Dairy opens a couple stands and that is GREAT ice cream. The mall food court has a some pretty good Chinese food in it and a Ruby Tuesday.

Where are you coming from? Winters are long up there, but I've heard the theater recently reopened in Presque Isle. Plenty of cross country and downhill sking available during those long winters.

Have fun, I did.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 15,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Have you ever been to Presque Isle?
Yes, I have been up there close to a dozen times between checking the school out and moving my things that way. I don't think I'll have a problem meshing... I have never been a big city person. Thanks for your suggestions :-)

Quote:
The flat iron steak at Slopes was always a very good bet and reasonable priced as well.
Slides had the brewery in it? I hope they did reopen it.... mmmm! I have been to Pat's in other towns... good stuff! I'll definitely check out the hole in the wall places... some of the best food comes from those.

Quote:
Nearest cricket supply is in Houlton.
Great, thx for the info! That is much closer than Bangor ;-)

Quote:
Are you bringing a car? Where are you coming from?
Yes, I have a 4X4... will I need chains for it? I hope I don't get any stones thrown at me, but I am originally from L/A. I was laid off 4 yrs ago and have been to Eugene, OR and Richmond, VA since. It is good to be back home, but I could live without the shoveling!

I hope I answered everyone's questions since you were all kind enough to answer mine. I had come across this site months back when I was looking for info on newspapers and etc. I found some good info and I see everyone is still hospitable as I remembered. Thanks again all... I am looking forward to being part of the community here :-)

Old 06-10-2009, 10:18 AM

81 posts, read 226,957 times
Irish Setter was open and busy as all get out on a Thursday night 2 months ago. Food was good too.

The place in the hotel (Northeastland? My brain is cramping right now) is pretty good too- or at least the lunch I had there, inclduing the fish chowder, was very good.

One thing that surpises me is that Ft Fairfield seems big enough to support a restruant or maybe two, but seems to have practically nothing? Maybe I've just never seen it, but it seems like for anything more than maybe a sandwich or such FF doesn't have anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine