Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 AM

783 posts, read 1,574,353 times

Advertisements

Part of the reason the old house is about to come down (today) is because the south side (photo) has but two windows, in part due to the fact that the interior stairs are on the southern wall. Current dimensions & chimney placement make it incredibly difficult to move the stairs away from this southern wall. I'm too old for a ladder. Attachment 43474

New house placement will be moved very slightly west of current orientation, mostly to shift visual focus to the backyard, away from the existing garage. Interior stairs will be on northerly side (road side) of house, & entrance will be on southerly side - front door in back of house.

I liked learning about the brick at high noon, NMLM.

Praying the right photo attaches...forgive me if it's not a house pic...

Last edited by maureenb; 07-04-2009 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
Depends on the prevailing winds and weather systems common to your area.
I would have the least amount of windows and doors on the "weather, or wind" side of the house and plan from there.
In the U.S. prevailing winds and weather usualy move from west to east. Or from SW to NE. Of course there are exceptions from time to time but you need to go with what is most common.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:11 AM

346 posts, read 786,019 times
Well the house will be a modular and it has just about the same size and amount of windows on the front as the back. I know I definately can't face the front of the house south. That will have the rear of the house face the main road ( which I will not do ) and the front towards the tree line / open area facing strong winds.

My choices are to have it face east / west ( the front facing west ), or north /south ( the front facing north ).

Decisions, decisions....

Looks like this weekend will be a road trip to Maine , and I'll see what my decion will be then.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and comments.

CS

Old 06-16-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Depends on the prevailing winds and weather systems common to your area.
I would have the least amount of windows and doors on the "weather, or wind" side of the house and plan from there.
In the U.S. prevailing winds and weather usualy move from west to east. Or from SW to NE. Of course there are exceptions from time to time but you need to go with what is most common.

That's the problem here. The winds blow up an open area I have ( facing south ) and when it rains it seems just to rip up thru that area.

ROAD TRIP

Old 06-16-2009, 06:42 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
When do you arrive? I'll try to stop by Saturday AM or Sunday.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:52 AM

Right now I plan on heading up Friday when I get out of work ( 7am ). A little over 8 hours to get up to Lincoln, then time for a nap.

I'll track you down Saturday morning, perhaps breakfast at Ray's.

If there's a change in plans, I'll post it here and send an email.

CS

Old 06-16-2009, 07:02 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Ok, the time has come to start figuring out which way a new house should face. I Googled this topic and didn't find anything that helped me out for the Maine / New England area.
The way my property is situated, I first thought about having the house face towards the main road. This would almost have me facing directly north. I've been told that I would be better off if it was facing east / west. After thinking about it, I guess the morning sun would be enough to get me out of bed before noon. The sun would then give me some heating benefits as the day went on. Any ideas from people in the know?As always,
thank you for all your help and ideas~!CS
Hmmmm...Let's see. If your home faces South, you will more than likely get sun on the front of the house a good portion of the day. If it faces East, the sun will shine on it probably up until mid day and then will gradually move around to the South side as it goes to settle in the West. Facing North isn't probably such a great idea living in Maine or anywhere in New England especially when we get a Nor'easter.

My home faces South....I get lots of sun on the East side in the morning and it moves around towards the front come mid-afternoon which makes my living room and rooms in the front VERY hot. As it moves to the West, it is blocked by big trees so I don't get too much heat from it then.

Where I live is on a huge hill and all the homes on the hill face South on my side of the street and there are a few that do face North but are protected by the rest of us. Tough call I would say but for sure and for certain...nix the facing North idea! Good Luck.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Right now I plan on heading up Friday when I get out of work ( 7am ). A little over 8 hours to get up to Lincoln, then time for a nap.

I'll track you down Saturday morning, perhaps breakfast at Ray's.

If there's a change in plans, I'll post it here and send an email.

CS
Where is "Ray's"? We've had breakfast a few times recently at "Pit Road". Not a fancy place but they have great home fries and homemade bread that is wonderful toasted.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Where is "Ray's"? We've had breakfast a few times recently at "Pit Road". Not a fancy place but they have great home fries and homemade bread that is wonderful toasted.
Raymonds Variety in Lee, great spot & great food.

( My trip has been put off )

Old 06-19-2009, 05:25 AM

737 posts, read 1,036,170 times
Default Dying to face East

An unrelated fact: in most cemeteries, headstones face East... although not everyone will be looking for more heat!

For the living...face South!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine