Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,421,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforhomeNE View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking for somewhere in New England to move and perhaps eventually open a small organic/veg friendly restaurant. The most important things to us are that the cost of living (especially real estate costs) be low and for the population to have a fairly liberal bent. We also like to hike and climb, etc. so proximity to outdoor rec areas would be a big plus. Any suggestions?
My impressions, as one who has been researching New England for a while, looking for a nice spot to enjoy our retirement:

All states in New England are liberal - some more so than others. Your chances of finding yourself in a relatively conservative area increase as you get to more rural areas. But the more rural the area is, the less likely that it could support a specialized restaurant.

I'd go with northern N.E. - Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Real estate would tend to be less expensive in Maine, as long as you avoid right on the coast. Southern Maine is more expensive than northern Maine, but has a larger population that would better support a restaurant.

Vermont is, right now, the more liberal of the three states, but people in northern New England tend to be independent-thinking individuals, and less likely to go with the "flavor of the day." New Hampshire is more conservative - actually, libertarian is probably more accurate.

All states offer wonderful access to the great outdoors. Maine and N.H. have the ocean, all have many lakes and rivers, all have hiking/biking trails, and so on.

In terms of existing restaurants, and acknowledging that I'm neither a restaurant critic nor gourmet, I've been more impressed and pleased by the variety of restaurants in Maine than in the other two states, especially when it comes to restaurants offering vegetarian choices (my wife is a vegetarian) and, of course, seafood.

When you start to narrow your choices somewhat, you may want to look at cities/towns with a college or university - they tend to be more liberal and also would, I think, tend to have a larger percentage of people who would support an organic/vegetarian-friendly restaurant.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 11,838 times
I think in terms of opening a restaurant, I would pick Maine over Vermont. Vermont just has a very low population and it's very hard to run a business there outside of a couple concentrated downtown areas. And those are filled with businesses.

I think you'd have a lot of areas in Maine to choose from but I don't know enough to give you a well-educated answer. You'll want to look into the economics of the area--some are going into slumps, some doing better. We live in Bath, and I think it could use a restaurant of that sort, but there is competition.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 AM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforhomeNE
My boyfriend and I are looking for somewhere in New England to move and perhaps eventually open a small organic/veg friendly restaurant. The most important things to us are that the cost of living (especially real estate costs) be low and for the population to have a fairly liberal bent. We also like to hike and climb, etc. so proximity to outdoor rec areas would be a big plus. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
What about Belfast?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1
Illegitimi non carborundum, LookingforhomeNE....

Maine is neither politically conservative nor unfriendly. I was worried when I first started visiting this particular forum, but thanks to the DM function, a number of very frequent and long-term contributors told me to just breeze through what they commonly referred to as the "far-right curmudgeon" posts.

Among others, Maine is full of highly educated, productively ambitious, open-minded, kind-of-heart moderates and liberals who enjoy being outdoors in four seasons -- many of whom would be pleased to try a new "organic/veg friendly" restaurant! Take a good long look at Portland and the surrounding area! It might be just what you're looking for.
Great post!

I agree.

There is a HUGE network of organic farmers and Farmers' Markets in Maine.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,852,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
Illegitimi non carborundum, LookingforhomeNE....

Maine is neither politically conservative nor unfriendly. I was worried when I first started visiting this particular forum, but thanks to the DM function, a number of very frequent and long-term contributors told me to just breeze through what they commonly referred to as the "far-right curmudgeon" posts.

Among others, Maine is full of highly educated, productively ambitious, open-minded, kind-of-heart moderates and liberals who enjoy being outdoors in four seasons -- many of whom would be pleased to try a new "organic/veg friendly" restaurant! Take a good long look at Portland and the surrounding area! It might be just what you're looking for.
Exactly!

Old 06-18-2009, 01:55 PM

548 posts, read 2,091,904 times
OP, look into Bangor, it's gaining the reputation for becoming the hip and progressive small city in central Maine and not expensive. Otherwise, I'd say mid-coast, but somewhat more expensive.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
Maine is bigger than the other five New England states put together and we have about 1.3 million people. We are the oldest state. We took over that distinction from Florida three years ago. Most of the volunteer firemen in our small fire department have my hair color which is white.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:16 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
you should open an organic/veg restaurant in portland,,,hit the whole foods crowd..

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-19-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 03:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,730,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine is bigger than the other five New England states put together and we have about 1.3 million people. We are the oldest state. We took over that distinction from Florida three years ago. Most of the volunteer firemen in our small fire department have my hair color which is white.
Maybe dye it fire engine red and set a new trend!!

The tourists would come in droves!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:15 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,327,755 times
NMLM as a redhead,.................. I like it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine