Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,342 times

Advertisements

I'm movING to Wells, Maine from Ventura Co. California. I am so stressed about it. Although I absolutely know it's the best decision for me I will be leaving my roots. My family has been in Ventura Co. since 1845.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 08:24 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymp View Post
I'm movING to Wells, Maine from Ventura Co. California. I am so stressed about it. Although I absolutely know it's the best decision for me I will be leaving my roots. My family has been in Ventura Co. since 1845.
Congratulations !! You Will Love it !
Moving is hard and stressful. Take the days of process as they are and how they fall. We moved to Maine from Virginia, and We had to wait 12 days for our furniture.
Good thing I tend to over pack when we came up, and at first- it was pretty cool- like camping out in our house . We were thrilled to be here and took the move as an adventure.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:51 AM

198 posts, read 211,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerstar View Post
I have moved to Portland, Maine from California 2 months ago.
I am very happy with my relocation. I would like to hear from those who have moved from California to Maine. Where did you land here in Maine?
Are you happier here? I am!! What were some of your reasons for your move? I moved from to Maine from Orange County, California. For me
it was about the having the seasons, the beauty of the woods, wildlife, and
the way life is here. I am curious has to how people coming from California
are settling here in the life that Maine has offered. Thanks for your answers.
Sincerely Sandra
Hello Sandra;

I know post was from 2009, I am sure you are glad you left....I currently work in OC. I ran out of the green stuff and need to sell house in So CA. I have visited Maine few times, I used to live in MA (which I consider to be "from)),,,,,hard to visit ME from CA although I did in 2014 and 2015. I am trying to secure employment in ME and think that due to my field I will be able to find work....

I would just like to chat with people that moved to ME, esp from Cali (not too big a deal from MA).......
I want to move to ME, so I can smile again,,,,,. I regret ever coming to California, now hard to get out....but I will.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I moved to Maine just over a year ago, from San Diego County ..... it was a return to northern new england and to my roots. I never really "took" in California and couldnt wait to get back. When I was planning my return....I was asked .....Why would anyone leave California to move to Maine?
I responded by writing a piece that tried to express the essence of continuity and connection to place.

It is now on my blog. //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog919-call-maine.html

I think it answers some of your questions.
You are talking to the choir....I will read your blog, why would anyone want to leave CA.....why would anyone want to live here (unless way up in Nor. Cal)...................because most love a state that is in a drought, has pretentious people, high COL, no seasons, and wait wait ..love to sit on Freeways for 2-3 hours for each commute. Of course, there are nice parts.....up close to Oregon boarder...much more to say, but even on Maine board, seems I end up making enemies....
People dont want to move to Maine, due to ,,,,let me see,,,,weather??? Want to live somewhere that it stays in 70s.....or 80s (in So Cal) all winter...........................NO THANKS>

Old 02-17-2016, 11:02 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePlovesME View Post
... I want to move to ME, so I can smile again,,,,,. I regret ever coming to California, now hard to get out....but I will.
It can be very difficult for people in California to get out of California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePlovesME View Post
You are talking to the choir....I will read your blog, why would anyone want to leave CA.....why would anyone want to live here (unless way up in Nor. Cal)...................because most love a state that is in a drought, has pretentious people, high COL, no seasons, and wait wait ..love to sit on Freeways for 2-3 hours for each commute. Of course, there are nice parts.....up close to Oregon boarder...much more to say, but even on Maine board, seems I end up making enemies....
People dont want to move to Maine, due to ,,,,let me see,,,,weather??? Want to live somewhere that it stays in 70s.....or 80s (in So Cal) all winter...........................NO THANKS>
Just a couple days ago we had a weather forecast calling for -25F to -30F temps. I posted it on Facebook and made some joke about it. A buddy of mine from highschool [he still lives in California] responded in a manner that anyone living in Maine must be insane.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:11 AM

Haha, love that serious weather....makes you focus on the necessities of life and band together (I hope).

Old 02-17-2016, 12:35 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,902,091 times
The weather in some places is absolutely perfect...........right up until it kills you, that is.....lol

(Earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc.)

Old 02-19-2016, 03:40 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,580 times
I grew up in central/eastern Maine......always wondered why I was put here by God. Never really liked winter sports or the accents either. I finally decided to give California a try in 1988 and moved to the Sacramento area. Lived for a while in the Sierra Nevada's and was a machinist at a log mill. Loved it but the tree huggers eventually got the mill shut down so I moved down to the valley. Got lucky and got a good job and met and married the love of my life. Lived in a small(for Cali.) town called Woodland. Sadly after a few years I lost my wife to cancer. And after some internal changes decided to return here to Maine. Many times since(usually winters) I have really regretted the move back. Now that I am retired and on a fixed income I sort of feel trapped here. I'm not whining really. I own my own place albeit it is small and remote. Who knows what the future holds....maybe I will someday get to live in NorCal again.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:57 AM

Nice to hear the opposite perspective, and I am sure many Northern CA towns are quite nice....wish I could have experienced them and not felt trapped in LA. I guess as the saying goes, the grass always looks greener on the other side and the winter may get to me also when I meet my goal of moving to Maine.......I do know one thing,,,,I hate So. Cal,,,,,I regretted leaving MA several years ago,,,,many hate MA now as is has changed but I have nice memories there.
I hope I get to Maine before I get too old or develop a health problem......

Old 02-20-2016, 05:59 PM

447 posts, read 651,657 times
namder1 i know woodland i grew up in yuba city/gridley haha nice. and like others i have left idaho many times but always come back like you have with maine i hope someday maine might be a similar place for me i just have to convince the wife to make the move she hates snow and cold lol anyway i love california just cant afford it and well visiting is best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine