Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:58 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,845 times

Advertisements

Calais is tore UP.

Why... why so many projects being done all at once???

I think we are harming our possible tourism... businesses are being affected in town ( not me) but Calais. I have avoided stores because of the road work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
The seasons of Maine:
almost wintah;
wintah;
still wintah;
and road construction.

Right now you are seeing 'road construction', which will be followed by 'almost wintah' again.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,767 times
I'm beginning to believe it. Hubby has all the windows open while I retreat under a blanket. (What's wrong with THIS picture?) Anyway, when the snow melted and I saw how much damage it did to the roads, I wondered what DOT would do. They can't fix all of it in one summer. Apparently they can. Or think they can. It's just as bad in St. Stephen. If you go over there, avoid the area from Tim Horton's down to the rotary. You can't get through.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The seasons of Maine:
almost wintah;
wintah;
still wintah;
and road construction.

Right now you are seeing 'road construction', which will be followed by 'almost wintah' again.

no no ... it's worse then all that Forest!! I've seen construction in this area.. and alot of it, but Calais this year is a pot Hole of work.
.......They are digging into the core of the earth... and rippin' out it's gizzard.
Everywhere you turn they have flaggers.
There's more flaggers and work going on then roads that are free of any. This is just wayyyy out there.

and Caspers right.. avoid all in town driving in
St. Stephen, N.B Canada
. I almost lost the under neith of my car. UNREAL!!!!!! I turned around and went another route by the Red Rooster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
I'm beginning to believe it. Hubby has all the windows open while I retreat under a blanket. (What's wrong with THIS picture?) Anyway, when the snow melted and I saw how much damage it did to the roads, I wondered what DOT would do. They can't fix all of it in one summer. Apparently they can. Or think they can. It's just as bad in St. Stephen. If you go over there, avoid the area from Tim Horton's down to the rotary. You can't get through.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
This downloads an text document. Briefly, it says:

In Maine, 11 recipients will receive Recovery Act funds immediately for upgrades to their water and wastewater systems, resulting in an investment of $14.2 million in rural Maine infrastructure.

The City of Calais will receive $3 million to repair multiple issues with its wastewater system. The City has been completing the project in phases in an effort to comply with Maine Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) requirements. This phase, which is being funded under the Recovery Act will replace and upgrade existing facilities, consisting of renovations to the existing plant buildings and tank area.

That explains some of the road construction.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
This downloads an text document. Briefly, it says:

In Maine, 11 recipients will receive Recovery Act funds immediately for upgrades to their water and wastewater systems, resulting in an investment of $14.2 million in rural Maine infrastructure.

The City of Calais will receive $3 million to repair multiple issues with its wastewater system. The City has been completing the project in phases in an effort to comply with Maine Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) requirements. This phase, which is being funded under the Recovery Act will replace and upgrade existing facilities, consisting of renovations to the existing plant buildings and tank area.

That explains some of the road construction.
Thank you!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine
no no ... it's worse then all that Forest!! I've seen construction in this area.. and alot of it, but Calais this year is a pot Hole of work.
....... They are digging into the core of the earth... and rippin' out it's gizzard.
Hey, I like gizzards!

Save some for me!

Gizzard pie, gizzard stew, you can even make a nice chili from gizzard.

I did not realize that the core of the earth had a gizzard, but I do hope you get some.

Quote:
... Everywhere you turn they have flaggers.
There's more flaggers and work going on then roads that are free of any. This is just wayyyy out there. ...
If the money is now available from the Federal Gubbermint, then now is the time to make major up-grades and improvements. Employ folks and git-er-done before the money runs out and we see the interest charges on all this borrowed money.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:47 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,973 times
Route 2 around Bangor out past Hermon is terrible and this is a major route. I am taking it north up to Island Falls today, will have to see what kind of shape the rest of it is in.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,411 times
If Calais goes as slow as the project in Robbinston went, it will be year after next before all the roads are repaved. I didn't believe it was possible to get into a traffic jam in Calais except at the border crossing, but it took me 30 minutes to get through town. But the work needs to be done!

Old 06-26-2009, 02:59 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Maine was the first State to account for all of their funds from the Recovery Act. It's nice to see some of the needed road and water work getting done.
State 1st in use of stimulus - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/109285.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine