Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times

Advertisements

Almost $3.00 a gallon here in Freeport for Super again. Back to costing over $40.00 to fill up ther wife's car. There goes the prospects for a normal tourist season! The Price was actually cheaper on Martha's Vineyard last week than it was in Maine when we got back! What will they blame it on this time and will the Obama administration do anything about it? Will they just let it climb through the roof to promote buying the new GM and Dodge Green cars they're planning???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:51 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Suddenly our Prius looks pretty good!

Maineah, I think the weather and the economy have pretty much ruined the tourist season already. Higher gasoline prices sure put another nail in the coffin, though.

If you want to get really depressed about oil prices, go to:

The Oil Drum: Net Energy | The Net Hubbert Curve: What Does It Mean?

to read about the Net Hubbert Curve. While you're there, look up Jeffrey Brown's Export Land Model. The quick summary is that it will take more and more energy to pump less and less oil, while developing economies in oil producing countries reduce the amount of oil available for export. Then add the fact that production at Mexico's megagiant oilfield, Cantarell, is dropping by 36 percent a year.

Some days I just want to stay in bed with the covers over my head.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Suddenly our Prius looks pretty good!

Maineah, I think the weather and the economy have pretty much ruined the tourist season already. Higher gasoline prices sure put another nail in the coffin, though.

If you want to get really depressed about oil prices, go to:

The Oil Drum: Net Energy | The Net Hubbert Curve: What Does It Mean?

to read about the Net Hubbert Curve. While you're there, look up Jeffrey Brown's Export Land Model. The quick summary is that it will take more and more energy to pump less and less oil, while developing economies in oil producing countries reduce the amount of oil available for export. Then add the fact that production at Mexico's megagiant oilfield, Cantarell, is dropping by 36 percent a year.

Some days I just want to stay in bed with the covers over my head.
It really is a crime to think so much of this country's infrastructure depends so heavily on non renewable resources such as oil and coal. They tell us they can no longer pave the roads as the price of asphalt is so high due to the oil content, electricity continues to rise as it is generated by oil, fuel oil will be through the roof again this winter.
The problem has been the stagnation of research and development to find alternatives. If Obama can do nothing else right, I hope at least they fund the R and D necessary to break away from the strangle hold oil has on this world and helps move us to develop reasonable alternatives.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:08 PM

I'll second that sentiment, Maineah. But I suspect no matter what anyone comes up with for alternatives, the age of the automobile is almost past. I've heard estimates that car ownership in the United States will be 30-40 percent of current levels in as little as ten years from now. Think about what that will mean for tourism in Maine!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I'll second that sentiment, Maineah. But I suspect no matter what anyone comes up with for alternatives, the age of the automobile is almost past. I've heard estimates that car ownership in the United States will be 30-40 percent of current levels in as little as ten years from now. Think about what that will mean for tourism in Maine!
What is the alternative three day treks to the city with the buckboard once a month to get supplies? The cities don't need cars so much though we in the sticks need a way to get to and from our jobs and to the stores. Even a battery powered golf cart is good enough to get you to a store a couple of miles away. Maybe the old neighborhood Mom and Pop stores will make a comeback?

Old 06-29-2009, 01:24 PM

The last Census found that Mainers have longer commutes to their jobs than just about any other state. We're very rural compared to other states. Our per-capita income is lower than most other states. Maine is so dependent on automobiles, yet we're not affluent enough to withstand really harsh levels of gasoline prices.

So I don't know what will happen, Maineah. Certainly more people will move closer to their jobs. That happened during the first energy crisis in the 1970s. When I was working (I'm currently unemployed) I was driving 50 miles each way every day. My wife drove (and still drives) 35 miles to her job in the opposite direction. I suspect a lot of two-income families will have to decide which job is more important and find a home based on that. I suspect the availability of public transportation will become more important in choosing a new home. More people will work from home on the Internet.

And I'll bet you're right, there will be more neighborhood Mom and Pop stores for the milk and bread needs. When I was a kid on a farm in Maine, we went to the A&P in town once every two weeks. Otherwise we depended on the local country store.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to rural Maine if all this comes to pass. Any thoughts?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:14 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
The cheapest gas I saw this weekend was $2.49 in Columbia.
The cap and trade idea will cause other energy sources to be used, but at a substantial cost in the short term.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
The cheapest gas I saw this weekend was $2.49 in Columbia.
The cap and trade idea will cause other energy sources to be used, but at a substantial cost in the short term.
Cap and trade would be great if there was really man made global warming. Al Gore is wrong and the EPA was just caught hiding documents that prove it. I hope the Senate has more sense than to buy into this charade but in the present state of that body I doubt it. Hold on to what is left of your wallet and take some gardening and survival courses.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
$2.54 per gallon regular here in Phoenix.
If only a Prius wasn't so dang expensive....

Old 06-29-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
The last Census found that Mainers have longer commutes to their jobs than just about any other state. We're very rural compared to other states. Our per-capita income is lower than most other states. Maine is so dependent on automobiles, yet we're not affluent enough to withstand really harsh levels of gasoline prices.

So I don't know what will happen, Maineah. Certainly more people will move closer to their jobs. That happened during the first energy crisis in the 1970s. When I was working (I'm currently unemployed) I was driving 50 miles each way every day. My wife drove (and still drives) 35 miles to her job in the opposite direction. I suspect a lot of two-income families will have to decide which job is more important and find a home based on that. I suspect the availability of public transportation will become more important in choosing a new home. More people will work from home on the Internet.

And I'll bet you're right, there will be more neighborhood Mom and Pop stores for the milk and bread needs. When I was a kid on a farm in Maine, we went to the A&P in town once every two weeks. Otherwise we depended on the local country store.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to rural Maine if all this comes to pass. Any thoughts?
Lots of thoughts but no real answers. Your prognostications seem valid. It makes sense to move close to the better job. As far as rural Maine goes it will probably revert back to forest with bad dirt roads. As for the rest of the state I think the prices on real estate on the coast will fall dramatically as the stock market tanks out in the next four years. As the market falls the lure of the coast will be replaced by the need to live near the city again and make enough money to survive on let alone retire. People who moved here with semingly secure incomes will be broke and will move away in droves. The USA will have to start making things again whether we like it or not as our money will be worthless worldwide. The paper shuffling era will be replaced by another industrial revolution. Smaller easier to heat homes will replace fuel sucking mega mansions and the appeal of Maine will become less and less.

Last edited by Maineah; 06-29-2009 at 07:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine