Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 12:57 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how travel between the states and Canada works. Where do you cross into Canada if you're coming from, say, the Belfast area? Do you need a passport? Maybe a stupid question, but we need a passport to go into Mexico, unless we're only going 100 miles in for a day trip.

Also, do you go there for shopping? What are some of the things you shop for and what kind of rules govern re-entry into Maine?

Lot of questions, I know, but all things we need to find out! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 01:46 PM

228 posts, read 221,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I'm wondering how travel between the states and Canada works. Where do you cross into Canada if you're coming from, say, the Belfast area? Do you need a passport? Maybe a stupid question, but we need a passport to go into Mexico, unless we're only going 100 miles in for a day trip.

Also, do you go there for shopping? What are some of the things you shop for and what kind of rules govern re-entry into Maine?

Lot of questions, I know, but all things we need to find out! Thanks!!
This is MBM(Maine's Best Motorist) trying to be helpful if you get on I-95 let say in Bangor and go North it will take you to Houlton(about a two hour ride and only one rest area so stop when you see it). When you take the Houlton exit you will go to the light and take a left.Continue on that road you will go thru alot of small town's(but Caribou isn't one of them I wouldn't do that to anyone) You will stay on that road for about a hour and 15 minutes to a town called Fort Fairfield you will take a right at the light which will take you into downtown Fort Fairfield go thru the town stay on the same road and it will take you to the Canadian Border.No you do not need a passport yet they are working on that but make sure you have some picture ID because they may ask.Not sure on what you can bring back but the Canada side should be able to tell you. As far as getting back in the U.S.A. same thing pretty much they will ask where you where in Canada and if you are bring anything back with you. Hope this helped.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:14 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
From Belfast you'd have a few different choices. You could take The Cat car ferry from either Portland or Bar Harbor, and arrive in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. You could also drive up to Houlton, or across to Calais, and cross the border into New Brunsick there. There are other, smaller border crossings between Houlton and Calais, but these are better known. You won't need passports--yet--but we will eventually (). Times have changed, and we're at the end of an era... You will need 2 forms of ID, one of them HAS to be a photo ID or you can be refused re-entry into the US. If your kids were to have a school photo ID, as long as it includes their name (duh), right now they will accept that.

I don't do a lot of shopping over there right now, because the exchange rate isn't good, and with their taxes, the value just isn't there. When you do shop over there though, especially on vacation, save your receipts and stop at Canadian customs before you cross back over. There is a form you can fill out, either there or mail it in, and claim the taxes you've paid, and the Canadian gov't will send those back to you. We cross on a semi-regular basis....either for shopping, to go out for dinner, geocaching....and the kids cross too, without us, to visit friends, go bowling, the girls go to gymnastics over there, etc. There are some foods and plants that you can't bring back to the US. Citrus fruit, a while ago there was a ban on beef and beef products, seeds--the greenhouse and nursery we like in our area is across the border, and they fill out paper work so we can bring plants back. You can bring a modular home over, but not a brand new car! There's probably a list somewhere of the items (no eggs) available through US Customs. When you come back on the US side they will ask you if you've brought anything back. It is ALWAYS best to have your receipts ready, and tell them in a dollar amount what you have. They may ask to see the receipt, and if you have something that you're not allowed to bring into the States, they will take that. You're allowed $200/per day (in goods) per person in the car, and I think it's $5000 for a week--if you've been gone that long! One of my best friend's husband works the border, and I will tell you, if you're not sure of something, anything, ask. If you're unsure and asking questions it's much better than coming off as unsure and quiet! We have a lot of people in our area that come and go every day, sometimes a few times every day, but depending on what their orders are at the Border for the day (or hour!), it may not matter much at all that they know you and what you're up to---7 years ago we used to get waved through on both sides without having to stop, those days are gone. We love going over to the Maritimes....and the new, tighter regulations won't stop us from going. I will have to get passports for the kids, but really, they should have them anyway. The Maritime history, culture, and music is very prevalent there, and so are the French and Scotch roots. It's really wonderful! I hope you've got a list going Elcarim! You've got a lot of places to visit!

Old 08-19-2007, 09:43 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
OMG, I know! I told DH the other day that we'll be on vacation for the first 5 years we're there, there is so much I want to see and do! I just can't wait. The days are passing so slowly getting the house ready, and then there will be the wait for it to sell.

Our family isn't nearly as anxious, but it's impossible to make them understand how we feel about the move, so we've quit trying. We'll never convince them that we're doing the best thing ever for our family, so I'll just save my breath! Maybe they'll get a small sense of understanding when they come to visit and experience Maine in it's true form. Maybe so, maybe no, but I don't really care - as long as we know we are doing the right thing, that's all that really matters to us.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:31 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
I think that when you get here you should post your pics on Picasa or another site, and sign them up to receive emails when you add new pics! You know what they say...."a picture's worth a thousand words" !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine