Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
I never met anyone with a pit bull who wasn't doing something illegal.
I have, my daughter out west had one. Her husband's family had one as well and the most illegal thing any of them likely do is drive a bit over the speed limit.

Both their pitts were lovely dogs, only bad habits were typical doggie ones (one was a barker, the other, a very massive critter, liked to L E A N on you. I was warned to brace myself when I first met him. LOL

but I do understand that many of them are NOT raised to be "good dogs" in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I have, my daughter out west had one. Her husband's family had one as well and the most illegal thing any of them likely do is drive a bit over the speed limit.

Both their pitts were lovely dogs, only bad habits were typical doggie ones (one was a barker, the other, a very massive critter, liked to L E A N on you. I was warned to brace myself when I first met him. LOL

but I do understand that many of them are NOT raised to be "good dogs" in my book.
You're probably right it's mostly the lowlife owners that make a dog vicious. Our dog has Springer Rage syndrome however and even though he's the friendliest, nicest dog in the world you never know when he's going to go off on you. He's even attacked me when I was feeding him! Weird.
99% of the time he's fine. It's a good thing he isn't a real big dog. Unfortunately living with our dog for the last nine years has put us off dogs for good. When he's gone there will be no others!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:58 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'm taking a beautiful kitten to PAWS today. It's a no-kill shelter. They'll charge my town $100 for taking him. He and his siblings haven't been claimed. He'll be a wonderful pet for someone. One of my dogs has claimed him as her 'baby.' I think he's tired of all the baths she gives him but he tolerates her.

I'd like to slap the person who didn't spay his mother.
I thought I was taking him to PAWS but I was mistaken. They're overflowing with cats and refused him. I'm glad I called first. I've spent three hours this afternoon looking for a rescue or shelter that will accept him. I found one an hour from me. A contract between the town and the shelter is $450 a year. It's going to cost another $55 to leave him. It's not a no-kill shelter but it's the best I can do.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:25 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
A good friend of mine has a Pit that she inherited from her Granddaughter. It's the biggest baby, very affectionate. She's an older lady, salt of the earth type of person.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:23 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I thought I was taking him to PAWS but I was mistaken. They're overflowing with cats and refused him.
And to think I have been looking for a kitten for 8 months and nobody seems to have any. The local shelter only has cats. I adamantly want a kitten. Life just isn't fair.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:25 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default dogs and moose

Additionally to deepen your skill set and network, you may want to explore the Maine Wildlife rehab program.

Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife - Wildlife Rehabilitation Application Process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine