Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 PM

29 posts, read 34,805 times

Advertisements

run that water till no more comes out do that a couple times then have it tested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 10:16 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey cricket View Post
run that water till no more comes out do that a couple times then have it tested
Run the water till no more comes out?

How do you do that?

I have a one and one-half inch pipe coming from our well. I let it run for 3 days continously once. [an attempt to flush the silt out]

How do you run it till no more comes out?

Old 09-11-2010, 04:36 AM

7,056 posts, read 9,015,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Run the water till no more comes out?

How do you do that?

I have a one and one-half inch pipe coming from our well. I let it run for 3 days continously once. [an attempt to flush the silt out]

How do you run it till no more comes out?
That might work with a dug well that has a low flow, but a deep drilled well in an area with a high water table would be a different story. I can fill my pool from the well with no problem.

(And what's up with people reviving threads which have been dead for a year or more?)

Old 09-11-2010, 07:24 AM

6,613 posts, read 13,457,325 times
Quote:
(And what's up with people reviving threads which have been dead for a year or more?)
If a topic is useful to someone does it need an expiration date?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:23 PM

7,056 posts, read 9,015,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
If a topic is useful to someone does it need an expiration date?
General netiquette, and many users, would say yes. Usually, if one has some good info it is better to start a new thread instead of reviving an old one where the OP may no longer be around and/or the passage of time has rendered any additions moot.

Part of it maybe new posters seeing the "similar posts/threads" links and going to them and posting without looking at the date. Some of the ones I've seen recently have been dead for two or three years and no answers are relevant anymore.

I had thought that I had seen something in the TOS or a Mod comment regarding this but I can't find it. I did see some comments where it was said that City-Data encourages 'necroposting', though the users making the comments were disparaging of the practice.

My comment was intended to provide a hint that one should check the date and consider the relevancy, without singling anyone out.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
People have used water from these wells for many generations with no ill effects. The environmental industry is always calling wolf. The old standard for arsenic in drinking water was 50 parts per billion. The new standard is 10 parts per billion and their "recommended" standard is 5 parts per billion. They don't like it when someone questions their "recommended" standards. With so many generations drinking normal well water, we must question their motives for declaring rural wells to be unsuitable. We need look no further than their own stated goals. If they can instill fear of rural wells in home buyers, those buyers may opt to live in government approved apartments in "core service communities". It's called rural cleansing.

If you do let them spook you and you still want to buy a rural home, just get a reverse osmosis filter at a home supply store for under $300. The water test will pass. You don't need an expensive whole house system. Use your normal well water for laundry, flushing etc and just use the filtered system for cooking and drinking.

Problem solved.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,491,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
If they can instill fear of rural wells in home buyers, those buyers may opt to live in government approved apartments in "core service communities". It's called rural cleansing.
Wow, that's a stretch.

A better (and more simple) argument would be that the water filter company has lobbyists for the EPA pushing for stricter water quality standards. Stricter standards means more water filter units being sold. Good for business. Capitalism at its best.

I think you are giving our government agencies too much credit with this rural cleansing via well water bit.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:46 AM

Government is gullible. It's the environmental industry that promotes this stuff. It is not based on science. It is based on their agenda.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:30 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,022,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Hey, my folks were purchasing a home here in Maine and the well water test came back "unsuitable for drinking". The radon level was high but it was the arsnic level of 7 times the alowable amount that hurt the rating and have completley freaked my folks out who are now considering walking away from the contract.

Anyone have experience with arsnic filters or just high readings? Can the heavy rains mess with the well water tests. This house is located on once farm land and the well is over 300 feet drilled.
Related article in today's Bangor Daily News.

Maine, NH, focus of arsenic studies: Maine, NH, focus of arsenic studies - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/story/Portland/Maine-NH-focus-of-arsenic-studies,153657 - broken link)

. . . . .

Old 09-13-2010, 01:55 PM

There is "allowable" and "recommended".

Just buy a reverse osmosis filter for $300 or less and the minerals will read zero. Don't walk away from a deal for $300. Don't fall for rumors. Most water tests are accurate, but if a well is tested after being unused for a long time it is more relevant to test it again after using normal amounts of water. Minerals can leach out of bedrock and give false high readings.

And, yes, heavy rains can affect what is in some wells. Wells near long term potato fields often test high in nitrites and nitrates. The reverse osmosis filter will end that also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine