Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:55 PM

29 posts, read 35,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Run the water till no more comes out?

How do you do that?

I have a one and one-half inch pipe coming from our well. I let it run for 3 days continously once. [an attempt to flush the silt out]

How do you run it till no more comes out?
run it direct from case and not your head your pump should put out enough to run it out in a hour or so ...it cant be a shallow well pump with 11/4 pipe submersible 3/4 horse or more take the head pressur off and run err!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 05:23 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey cricket View Post
run it direct from case and not your head your pump should put out enough to run it out in a hour or so ...it cant be a shallow well pump with 11/4 pipe submersible 3/4 horse or more take the head pressur off and run err!
The well casing is approx 8inch, the pump is submersible at the end of a plastic pipe. Sticking out from the casing is the plastic pipe and the romex.

I let it run 24hours a day to 'flush' it before I hooked up the manifold with pressure switch and bladder-tank

Old 09-28-2010, 02:29 PM

48 posts, read 111,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Hey, my folks were purchasing a home here in Maine and the well water test came back "unsuitable for drinking". The radon level was high but it was the arsnic level of 7 times the alowable amount that hurt the rating and have completley freaked my folks out who are now considering walking away from the contract.

Anyone have experience with arsnic filters or just high readings? Can the heavy rains mess with the well water tests. This house is located on once farm land and the well is over 300 feet drilled.
did you know arsenic occurs naturally in fairly high levels where there is granite? it leaches out of the granite over time.
zwoman2u

Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 607 times
I found oyt my well water is 32 pbb, and the acceptable level is 10 ppb here in Mass. I have my house up for sale and intend to put in a filtration system that will solve the problem(hopefully). I am now concerned that potential home buyers will not go near a hose with arsenic, even if it is safe because of the installed measures.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,221,622 times
They might, but it depends upon the solution you employ. Some people only fix the kitchen sink and/or ice maker to save money, but leave the baths (where a child might get water during the night) untreated which might turn off some buyers. On the other hand a whole house system uses quite a bit of electricity and may be overkill for some buyers. What does your agent say is customary for your area?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:21 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
When I was looking.....a property I was interested in (Casco Maine)...had arsnic and had installed filtration etc.....I was still scared and didnt look any further. I was afraid the system might malfunction and I wouldnt know it.

I know I was being over cautious but it did scare me away.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,221,622 times
That's not an uncommon concern elston, unfortunately most people only test their water and air (radon) when buying/selling a home. I always tell my buyers that wells are maintenance items and must be monitored just like a heating system. I have had many buyers who will only search for homes with public water and/or sewer. I have a new buyer who will only buy a house with natural gas (at the street) heat and I'm having a hard time finding anything close to what he is looking for. I've had other buyers refuse to buy a house with gas because of fear of explosion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine