U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 11:17 AM

165 posts, read 354,851 times

Advertisements

We may wind up there in the next several weeks. Can any of you tell me about it? Is it a nice area? I'm wondering why, being so close to the ocean, the housing prices are so low. Granted, I'm looking for only a 2 bdrm., small house, small yard, etc. - but I'm finding a lot in that area, on Realtor.com, that I can afford.

Anyone who can help me out here, thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 12:24 PM

422 posts, read 1,806,435 times
Old Orchard Beach and Biddeford/Saco do not have great schools and are considered more poor areas compared to Kennebunk, York and other surrounding areas. They are fine communities and you will get more for your money, but there are less services probably. Old Orchard Beach is a huge tourist destination in the summertime. A lot of Canadians make it their vacation spot. OOB (as it's commonly refered to), seems like a classic summer town with plenty of run down hotels and places to rent. It isnt considered a desirable place to live year-round, but this is all subjective.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:44 AM

165 posts, read 354,851 times
I get the picture. That's what I was wondering about - thanks for the info.

How about Biddeford? Is it any different?

Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 AM

422 posts, read 1,806,435 times
Biddeford is an old mill town, it's becoming a more desirable place to live because its proximity to Portland and other places. A lot of working class families there. It is a small city so there are a range of neighborhoods. I think it's a decent place in general.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 AM

41,333 posts, read 19,740,765 times
I have family that lives in Saco. (Saco boarders Biddeford.) They love the town. Saco seems a bit more "upscale" than Biddeford--although there is absolutely nothing wrong with either one of them. I think perhaps Biddeford was the mill town with tenament housing, for the workers and perhaps the mill owners and foreman owned the lovely old mansions you find in Saco. Lots of the inexpensive houses in Biddeford have tiny or non existent yards and same for OOB. The Biddeford Pool area is absolutely beautiful and highly desirable coastal property. Has a stable family owned quality rather than being "touristy". Property values seem to be on the rise in both Saco and Biddeford and proximity to Portland are a plus.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 22,355 times
Default OOB/Biddeford

We lived in OOB for 5 years. We moved there from Western Massachusetts. We were a 10 minute walk to the beach which was nice. That was almost the only thing that was really nice about OOB. For starters, it's dumpy. Kind of the "arm pit" of Maine. I was almost always embarassed to tell people that I met in Maine that we lived in OOB. The downtown area of the beach is not kept up at all. It is all very shoddy and the pier is a disgrace. During tourist season, forget about going to the beach. It is so hard to find a spot for a blanket. Biddeford is a place thatr is kind of dumpy as well. Don't get me wrong. There are some nice areas in OOB and Biddeford. Maine is a very expensive state to live in. It is the higest tax-wise (#1) state in the country. Everything is very expensive in the OOB/Biddeford area as well as all of Maine. In OOB there are only two major grocery stores...Hannafords and Shaws. The prices would blow you away. We used to go over the line to New Hampshire to try to save a bit. A bargain of any kind is hard to find in Maine. No discount stores for meats, groceries or most other things. After 5 years, we moved backed to Massachusetts and do not miss Maine one iota. We save a lot of money now. Thanks to all of the bargain shopping here. In favor of Maine are the demographics and very low crime rate. Good luck

Old 11-11-2007, 06:28 PM

7,728 posts, read 11,406,288 times
I did the opposite. I moved to Massachusetts and couldn't wait to get home. I find shopping better here. We go to the farms and shop the sale flyers. We have a Save-a Lot in Dover/Foxcroft, as well as Hannafords and Shaws. In Milo we have an IGA. For anything else we go to Bangor. No offense, but to me Massachusetts is the armpit of Maine. Crime is out of control and the illegal situation grows worse all the time. Everyone has to find what suits them, then again I think being north of Bangor makes the differance.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:10 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,384,992 times
We rented in OOB wghen we first moved to Maine 20 ( gulp) years ago! Of course this was BC ( before children!)
We loved our three months on the beach after tourist season was over. It was just us and the old-timers with thier metal detectors strolling up and down the beach every day!
Now we go back every year and rent in Pine Point- down "across" the OOB border. It is just lovely- not at all "armpitty!" And the beach is amazingly fantastic- clean, with a public restroom, great fishing and great walking.
Perhaps consider renting in Maine before buying.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,242,189 times
There was a great article in last Sunday's Portland magazine in the Sunday newspaper about Bidderford. It was about the fact that young business people were buying some of the mills downtown in Bidderford and fixing them up with new businesses starting to move in. There is a big diference between the Bidderford on the ocean and the downtown Bidderford. Personally I thought it has a nice vibe.

OOB is kinda like Coney Island in that it's got alot of summer tourist heritage but has become rundown with alot of bars dominating the busy village. They are working hard to change that.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 AM
LM1

833 posts, read 832,297 times
OOB is less sterilized and prefab than other "touristy" beaches. Also, unlike many (most) other northeastern coastal locales, it isn't quite as 'lofty'- be it in price, mentality, etc.
I actually kinda like it. No, it isn't Kennebunkport, but then again, you don't need to be named Vanderbilt, Morgan, Rockefeller or Getty in order to afford to buy there. It's a coast populated by real, working people.
Ohhhhh..... Scary...... To think! We've actually allowed one square inch of coastal real estate to be populated by people with median household incomes under six figures! (boo) (hiss)

To people who have come to equate "nice" with "neon" (or the existence of things like Country Clubs, overpriced boutique retailers of expensive garbage and a 50/50 chance you'll see a Rolls Royce on any given day), it probably does seem dumpy. Like anyplace else, it has a soul of it's own. It's up to you to find out it the soul of the town jives with the soul you're stuck with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine