Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed ants in and around their house? I definitely have. I'm guessing they're struggling to find 'higher ground' as a result of the high quantities of rain we've been having, or maybe their food supply has been somehow disturbed by the increased precipitation. Whatever the reason for their presence, I'm beginning to feel bugged...literally.

When I was ripping the asbestos shingles off the old structure I ran into a couple of good sized nests. They were living under the cedar shingles (which were under the asbestos shingles). So I knew they were around, but I didn't realize I would be having such a close relationship with them...

Any recommendations on indoor & outdoor ant killer products? Boric Acid appeals to me on an sort of 'organic' level, but I just don't know if it works. I am always concerned about spreading toxic chems, yet I would like to stop/greatly slow the ants from gaining a foothold in the new construction.

Thanks for any suggestions...
I was always told the "cornmeal sprinkled around the house outside will kill them. The corn meal expands and poof* they all die with full bellies.

They are bad this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 06:11 AM

357 posts, read 1,019,300 times
If this work, i can sweep up dead ants bellies full with puff up cornmeal to feed my chickens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
I was always told the "cornmeal sprinkled around the house outside will kill them. The corn meal expands and poof* they all die with full bellies.

They are bad this year.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
try to find the nest. I had a crazy outbreak a few weeks ago of carpenter ants. Fought them with spray and sugar/boric acid mix. The ants come for sugar and get the acid on them and bring it to the nest. Got the issue under control now, but it was 4 or 5 weeks.

I found what I think is the nest though - about 75 feet from house. I have a large dead oak that I started to cut down, and it is ALIVE with black ants. Must be tens of thousands. This is likely the nest that the ones in my house came from.
When we were growing up my Mom bought a "Farmers Home" house in Yarmouth. They were inexpensive though not built especially well and many had issues with ants getting in under the sliding glass back door and making nests in the sub floor. One day my brother went to step out the back door and went right through the linoleum and sub floor landing in a huge nest of ants. He threw a couple of books over the hole and called my older brother for help. He arrived and after 5 cans of Raid and a hole three feet across in the kitchen floor managed to get rid of all of the ants. There were many thousands of ants in that hole! A carpenter and new linoleum finished the job and some trim on the bottom of the sliding door kept the ants from coming back.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:15 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
i had a yard full of ants yesturday,and uncles,sisters,brothers,friends,ect...
i got rid of them by telling them the beer was all gone.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
Now that's funny right there! How goes the battle Ranger?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:

Hilarious as usual . Hmmmm....I'll have to try that sometime.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Now that's funny right there! How goes the battle Ranger?
iv been good thanks ! and you?
back on topic i get rid of them the old fashond way.
i see an ant hill. i go get a six pack a lawn chair a can of gas and a liter.
dump some gas on the ant hill lite it. sit down drink beer and watch it burn."redneck sport" may be,

Old 07-31-2009, 12:42 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,129 times
You all are too funny, really. You've taken some of the sting out of my ant in & out festation.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
dump some gas on the ant hill lite it. sit down drink beer and watch it burn."redneck sport" may be,
Yup gas works well except on the lawn. People get all wound up saying OH NO you can't put gas or Kerosene on them get some spray. Look at the label on the spray can.... PETROLEUM DISTILLATES ......Kerosene!!! Only you're paying about a dollar an ounce for it!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:

Ahhh yes, the infamous Maine "flaming anthill" - we've had a few in the fields beside the house I grew up in. It seems my dearly departed father was always blowing something up...

Aside note to GarlicGuy: I hear you laughing now...

We had them early this year. I strategically planted the liquid (liquid seems to work best for our sugar ants anyway) bait traps under my stove, behind the frige and under the hutch in my kitchen.

Last edited by cebdark; 07-31-2009 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine