Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM

141 posts, read 287,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Guess I'll go ahead and explain it....Those doing the "picking on Maine drivers," don't see THEMSELVES as Maine drivers. That is probably because they moved to Maine from someplace else.
well i don't see what that has to do with anything.

if i said men were pigs, i wouldn't be calling myse'f a pig, nor would i say I am not a man....

i never said all drivers, but let's be fair maine has a good share of drivers that do not feel the need to drive at an appropriate speed on back roads or heck even on highways. and instead of politely moving over so others can go along their merry way, they maliciously obstruct traffic.

is that everyone in maine? no. is it most? no again. but i say this, of the 48 states i've been to, the way maine drivers comport themselves made me take note.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:46 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
[quote=Syngar99;10389302] but i say this, of the 48 states i've been to, the way maine drivers comport themselves made me take note.[/quote]

Aw heck, they're nothin' compared to us Mazzholes!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:12 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Syngar99, Maybe we can agree to disagree...just curious...Are you a Maine driver? If so, how long have you been a Maine driver?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:15 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I wish you would stop bad-mouthing Maine drivers. There are bad drivers in other states as well. If a person moves to Maine and isn't fully content, he/she has the choice to relocate outside the state. Some of those Maine drivers you are complaining about could have brought their bad habits with them from another state.
Every place where I have lived has had it's share of bad drivers.

When I was in Virginia there were car-loads of drunks who enjoyed trying to run motorcycles off the road. They would yell out the windows and throw beer bottles at the motorcycle, while the driver of the car tried to side-ways bump the motorcycle into the ditch.

You see bad driving happens everywhere, it is just that in each area it takes a different form.

In Maine, it seems that the favorite habit of many drivers is to swerve into the on coming lane while they go through a curve. It is particular to Maine drivers which is why I brought it up. You don't see much of this in other states.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:15 PM

141 posts, read 287,356 times
i am not going to answer that mainergirl, i feel like no matter i say will somehow be used to prove a point

Old 08-21-2009, 04:18 PM

503 posts, read 1,025,640 times
I may be a transplant but I am now a Mainiac and am one of those Maine drivers. I'll admit I haven't seen alot of crazy drivers here but I have seen one or two. Just an example, the wife and I are going down Route 1 doing the speed limit. Another vehicle blows by us on the left. Thing is, if they would have been a little more patient, we were less than 100 feet from one of those passing lanes where the slower traffic keeps right. We would have stayed right and let them by but NOooo, they had to get by at all costs NOW and not the 5 secs it would have taken to travel that 100 feet. Now this isn't unique to Maine, we drove 1800 miles to get here and there are crazy/idiot drivers in ALL the states we drove through but again, since this area is for Maine related things and the law is for Maine, then why would we talk about Alaska, Florida or anyother state ?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
I'm not sure where you're all at in Maine, but my observations from traveling the route 3 corridor from Augusta to Belfast, route 1 from Belfast to Camden/Rockland, and route 1 from Belfast down toward Schoodic is a lot of Mainers get frustrated now that it's summer. Tourists along these stretches of road aren't as bad as here on the Cape, but they are a pesky bunch!!! lol There's no where near the volume on your roads that we get here at tourist time, but I have seen times when they're annoying.

Not making excuses for what you've both seen... just sharing my observations. Most of the time, Mainers have been very, very, very friendly and courteous to me on the roads and anywhere else I've gone. Civility is still to be found in abundance up there. NOT so much down there anymore.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:33 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Pretty much been hashed thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine