Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:43 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Thank You......I should be ok.......the only water I had in my basement was a puddle that came in the bulkhead door......the basement is really very dry......and there is a well or something over in the corner with crushed rock and I think a pipe runs from there over to the swale at the edge of the woods......the builder said I could pour a bucket of water directly into that "well".

Again, Thanks....is the storm due on Tuesday? My partner is over in Japan for his father's funeral--so I am home alone....and just a tad nervous.
The worst of it will be here over the weekend,perhaps as early as Saturday. Latest report says lots of rain with the hurricane passing off shore. You should be fine in Gorham from any winds and naturally tidal surges and waves are no issue. Get yourself a nice bottle of wine to sip and a book to read incase the power is out! At least it isn't in the middle of the winter!!
Sorry to hear of the passing of your partners father. Please pass on our condolences from your forum friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Noon time weather out of Boston shows the favored track 100 miles east of Nantucket. The worst winds will be once again on the northeast side of the storm which means out at sea.

It's path would not make direct landfall anywhere in NE at this point. If there's a wobble, then it might.

I agree Maineah, time to get some preperations underway. The leaves make the trees heavy with the wind, resulting in downed trees, ergo downed wires are a possibility. Time to lay down the patio umbrellas, etc.

The updates at 6 and 11 will have more information. It bears watching.
From the NWS Tropical Prediction center...I highlighted relevant news.
THE TRACK GUIDANCE MODELS ARE IN EXCELLENT AGREEMENT THAT
DANNY SHOULD TURN NORTHWARD OVER THE NEXT 24-36 HR IN ADVANCE OF A
COMPLEX DEEP-LAYER TROUGH MOVING INTO THE EASTERN UNITED STATES.
AFTER THAT...THE STORM SHOULD ACCELERATE NORTHEASTWARD INTO THE
WESTERLIES...PASSING NEAR OR OVER NEW ENGLAND AND THE CANADIAN
MARITIMES ON ITS WAY INTO THE NORTH ATLANTIC.
THE
NAM...NOGAPS...AND CANADIAN MODELS ARE ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE
GUIDANCE ENVELOPE... CALLING FOR THE CENTER TO PASS NEAR CAPE
HATTERAS AND THEN OVER NEW ENGLAND.
THE GFS...GFDL...AND HWRF ARE
ON THE RIGHT SIDE...CALLING FOR THE CENTER TO STAY OFFSHORE UNTIL
IT REACHES NOVA SCOTIA. THE NEW FORECAST TRACK IS ADJUSTED TO THE
LEFT OF THE PREVIOUS TRACK FOR THE FIRST 48 HR BASED ON THE INITIAL
POSITION AND MOTION.
..AND IT LIES DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE GUIDANCE
ENVELOPE. WHILE THE FORECAST TRACK DOES NOT CURRENTLY SHOW DANNY
MAKING LANDFALL IN THE UNITED STATES...ADDITIONAL MOTION TO THE
LEFT OF THE TRACK COULD BRING THE CENTER NEAR OR OVER THE U. S.
EASTERN SEABOARD.

It could be a repeat of last weekend though with more rain this time.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:17 PM

36 posts, read 105,901 times
The rain last weekend shorted something out in my car, I don't know how much I like our new weather pattern... Hurricanes, Tornados... To think that I came north from South Carolina for the summer for this!
As long as everythings cleared up by Tuesday I'm happy...

Old 08-27-2009, 04:19 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,506,411 times
Cianbro is not taking any chances. They are moving their barges from coastal projects up river to get out of the tropical storm. I can't blame them, some of those barges are held in place by nothing but two spuds, a little wave action might send them careening into the Margret Chase Smith! Of course they also have millions of dollars in tools and cranes aboard too!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:45 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,415,824 times
New projections show it going east of Nantucket and not gaining enough strength to become a hurricane. Because we've got stormy weather coming from the west, it does appear it will be pretty wet along coastal New England.

I'm just glad we're not going to get high wind. The Cape will likely see 40 mph winds with a few 60 mph gusts. I don't care about the rain. I suppose I would if I had a cellar that collected water, but Cape Cod is basically a sandpit, so it's not a big deal here like it is up in Maine.

Another update at eleven will tell us all a lot, but my plan is to come on up and enjoy the gullywasher on Saturday from inside my 5th wheel. lol

Old 08-27-2009, 06:32 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Cianbro is not taking any chances. They are moving their barges from coastal projects up river to get out of the tropical storm. I can't blame them, some of those barges are held in place by nothing but two spuds, a little wave action might send them careening into the Margret Chase Smith! Of course they also have millions of dollars in tools and cranes aboard too!
Smart move on their part that's for sure. I can remember when Hurricane Bob blew through (it must have been the early 90's). My father had his rig on Swan's Island, he beached it and put the clam bucket on the crane down to anchor it. As I recall, he slept in the big boat, to make sure all was okay. It was a bumpy one. I hope Danny isn't too bad.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
[b]New projections show it going east of Nantucket and not gaining enough strength to become a hurricane.[/B] Because we've got stormy weather coming from the west, it does appear it will be pretty wet along coastal New England.

I'm just glad we're not going to get high wind. The Cape will likely see 40 mph winds with a few 60 mph gusts. I don't care about the rain. I suppose I would if I had a cellar that collected water, but Cape Cod is basically a sandpit, so it's not a big deal here like it is up in Maine.

Another update at eleven will tell us all a lot, but my plan is to come on up and enjoy the gullywasher on Saturday from inside my 5th wheel. lol
Good! I hope it goes far out to sea! We don't need any more tropical storms or hurricanes this year. I'm ready if it does come! Got my gas, tested the generators, and put up 30 gallons of drinking water. A case of beer or two and I'll be set for any storm! Maybe I'll just run a hurricane practice drill and drink beer in the cellar this weekend!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 PM

National Weather Service has now bought into the scenario of it not becoming a hurricane either. It's to stay a TS and at this point, the belief is it will pass about 80 miles east of Chatham. It will continue on that right hand path and miss both Mass. and Maine. Max winds for the outer Cape will be in the 40-45 mph range.

A Lot of rain for all of us along the coast and inland is forecast however. Remember to check your gutters so you don't get back up under your shingles.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,539,393 times
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huwvloop.html

What is this swirly thing off the Louisiana coast? Looks like a hurricane firing up to me, but I'm no expert.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 PM

I dunno what that is Gottasay, but I've got to say (lol), I'm glad it's there because it appears it's playing a role in keeping TS Danny from getting organized an or gaining strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine