Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:29 PM

12 posts, read 30,346 times

Advertisements

Hello to all on C-D.
I have been a long time lurker and I have posted a couple of times...years ago. Currently, I am saving up to move from Iowa to one of the NE states. The ones I have in mind are: Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont (as a last resort). Vermont as a last resort only due to I can not find anyone that has ever been there or know anything about the state {can you believe it??)
And then this article doesn't help either:
Vermont makes Juneteenth an official state holiday: Rutland Herald Online

I'm really interested in a city {within the states mentioned} with similar or higher quality of life than where I am (bettendorf), some place with cultural activities, beaches, employment opportunities in health care and folks with good ol' common sense.
I am of African-American/African-Caribbean descent and I have 3 boys. Some place where cultural sensitivity and cultural understanding is highly desirable. Any objectionable/unbiased information somebody can provide, will be greatly appreciated.
Uno

Old 08-29-2009, 04:48 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unononehigher View Post
Hello to all on C-D.
I have been a long time lurker and I have posted a couple of times...years ago. Currently, I am saving up to move from Iowa to one of the NE states. The ones I have in mind are: Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont (as a last resort). Vermont as a last resort only due to I can not find anyone that has ever been there or know anything about the state {can you believe it??)

I'm really interested in a city {within the states mentioned} with similar or higher quality of life than where I am (bettendorf), some place with cultural activities, beaches, employment opportunities in health care and folks with good ol' common sense.
I am of African-American/African-Caribbean descent and I have 3 boys. Some place where cultural sensitivity and cultural understanding is highly desirable. Any objectionable/unbiased information somebody can provide, will be greatly appreciated.
Uno
Let's start with the economics lesson. Maine is in the same recession as everyone else. Maine has a very small economic base to begin with, and jobs are scarce normally because Maine has only 1.3 million people scattered over the entire state.

What is it that you will do to support your family and yourself?

Old 08-29-2009, 05:27 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I live in Maine and what you are looking for sounds like a "dream" city. We all would love to live in a place like that. The closest to what you want might be Portland, ME. The beaches are not far and there is a Medical Center right in the city. Google Portland and see if it is something you might like. Don't forget to Google "images" of Portland also. It is a diverse place and has a nice Art Museum. It might be less expensive to live within comuting distance if you decide to work in Portland. IMO Southern Maine has it all.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:39 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
Can you be more specific about what you are looking for? To you, what is "better off" than where you are?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
You may want to keep your seach to southern Maine. There are quite a few hospitals/med centers and other choices in the medical field. Most of Maine is quite sensitive and kind, I feel. As long as people act acordingly most of us have no problems with anyone. As for "good ol' common sense" it may be becoming a misnomer.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Let's start with the economics lesson. Maine is in the same recession as everyone else. Maine has a very small economic base to begin with, and jobs are scarce normally because Maine has only 1.3 million people scattered over the entire state.

What is it that you will do to support your family and yourself?
I have an Assoc. Degr. in Health Information Technology, haven't had the opportunity to use as of yet. I am also a CNA, Certified Medication Aide, as well as Medical Assistant.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I live in Maine and what you are looking for sounds like a "dream" city. We all would love to live in a place like that. The closest to what you want might be Portland, ME. The beaches are not far and there is a Medical Center right in the city. Google Portland and see if it is something you might like. Don't forget to Google "images" of Portland also. It is a diverse place and has a nice Art Museum. It might be less expensive to live within comuting distance if you decide to work in Portland. IMO Southern Maine has it all.
Umm, I don't see it as a "dream" per se', but whats wrong with wanting to live around "beaches" as there are none here in Iowa, and whats wrong with wanting to live in an area with more jobs in the health care field as opposed to living where John Deere and Alcoa are the top players.
Better quality of living as opposed to where I am....I guess thats relative. And wanting some cultural activities would be nice, I don't see having cable as "cultural entertainment", but to each his own, I guess

Old 08-29-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Can you be more specific about what you are looking for? To you, what is "better off" than where you are?
I said nothing about "better off" and I already addressed the "what I am looking for issue...

Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
My mistake. You said "similar or higher quality of life" then "bettendorf". I misread. Now, what are the chances anyone on the Maine forum knows (or cares) about "bettendorf"? That's why I asked for specifics. Your post was not all that specific. A link to an article from Vermont is supposed to tell us why you did not choose VT. References to "common sense" and "cultural sensitivity" are suposed to help people help you.

Hmm.

Good luck with that...hope you find what you are looking for.

Last edited by lawmom; 08-29-2009 at 05:20 PM..

Old 08-29-2009, 06:41 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unononehigher View Post
Hello to all on C-D.

Uno
Hi Uno, I'm not familiar with Bettendorf, Iowa, (I've lived at Ft. Riley, Ks), but the desires you list as preferences I think would be better suited to southern NH or northern Mass. There's certainly more diversity, cultural sensitivity and desirablity than what you'd find in Maine. That's because there's more population. You can still have the countryside you're after, but you'd be more apt to enjoy others of your descent also living there.

[quote=lawmom;10517052]My mistake. You said "similar or higher quality of life" then "bettendorf". I misread. Now, what are the chances anyone on the Maine forum knows (or cares) about "bettendorf"? That's why I asked for specifics. Your post was not all that specific. A link to an article from Vermont is supposed to tell us why you did not choose VT. References to "common sense" and "cultural sensitivity" are suposed to help people help you.

Hmm.

Good luck with that...hope you find what you are looking for.[/quote]

How rude!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine