Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 AM

117 posts, read 445,032 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I don't live in Maine so I don't know about the taxes first hand, but I noticed this year Maine's tax burden has actually improved and I was wondering whether that was relative to lower taxes or if it's just a relative thing versus the other 49 states. (google Tax Freedom Day if you don't know what I'm talking about)
Thanks
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Our spineless Legislative Critters in Augusta dropped the income tax by a couple percent and instituted a tax on just about every service industry you can think of. About the only ones they didn't tax are greens fees and ski lift tickets, per their marching orders from the Lawyer's Lobby.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:41 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
'Tax Burden' is a topic which we have discussed a few times.

The over-all gross budget of the state, divided by the population of adults and re-indexed by average household income.

A portion of that is Federal grant money and subsidies. Like with Federal Revenue some of it is corporate taxes.

So when our state's rank changes, was is due to a change in the state's budget? or the other states? Or the population? or average household income?

I often see problems when trying to prove a point by arguing statistics.

If a family did earn exactly the 'average' household income the statistic would imply that they would be paying that exact amount of 'burden'. Which I think is faulty because it would negate the effect of the corporate taxes, grants and subsidies.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:23 AM

423 posts, read 1,931,098 times
I give credit to Baldachi by reducing next year's budget by $50 million but taxes are still too high. I never seem to see or recieve any of the services taxes go towards. It just encourages me to shop/live in NH

Old 08-31-2009, 05:04 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Onthe Nov referendum is the States idea to drastically cut the exise tax on vehicles. The Leg. wants to cut it to lower the tax burden. Great, until you realize the State does not get the money from it; the municipalities do use the excise to improve and maintain roads. So the State is not losing money or cutting back. The roads wil still need to be maintained and where do you think the money will come from? Property taxes. The State would come out smelling like a rose and the towns will catch it for raising property taxes. Can you say smoke and mirrors? Just one man's opinion.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:14 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
We have been #1 in tax burden per capita income for years. This year California has passed us as their higher income population flees the state. We are still near the top as Augusta spends way beyond our means. They use accounting tricks to make it seem they are reducing spending such as paying state employees a day late at the end of the fiscal year.

This November we will have an opportunity to pass a spending cap initiative where if government wants to increase taxes they have to ask the voters. What an idea! We have had the same bunch running the state for 36 years. Nothing will change until we throw the bums out.

This November we also have the opportunity to prevent implementation of the huge tax increase on services. It pretty simple really. When the wolf is at the door, don't feed that beast.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:19 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
"Don't tax you; Don't tax me.....Tax that man behind the tree!" (....and dont cut my program....cut that non-essential one over there.)

Taxes are essential and unavoidable.....and just as unavoidable is the belief that they are excessive and should be paid by someone else....or if not that.... at least someone else's service should be eliminated to reduce the common burden.

At least it seems that way to me.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:28 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Personally, I think taxes would be more palatable for me if I could run the numbers using plain and simple math to see how they will be applied.

I like curb-side trash pickup, fire protection, and good schools just as much as anyone, and I don't mind paying for it. The problem I have is the shuffling of numbers/statistics to make it look like it's some kind of savings, when in fact, it's no savings at all. It's an assault on the intelligence, and frankly, it's hard for me to watch those who practice this type of budget manipulation get away with it time and time again. Yes, I vote, and I'm all over those who simply crab and don't vote, but reality being reality life (much like budget voodoo) marches on.

I realize that trying to keep everyone happy is a politician's #1 goal. Unfortunately, that IMHO, is next to impossible, and we do need to be able to let go of some programs however painful that may be. Sure, I'd like to have every service, but I'd like to have a brand new house and car too. Unfortunately, that's unrealistic because I can't afford it, so I continue to drive my "clunkers" and not incur any expenses I can't pay for.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
"Don't tax you; Don't tax me.....Tax that man behind the tree!" (....and dont cut my program....cut that non-essential one over there.)

Taxes are essential and unavoidable.....and just as unavoidable is the belief that they are excessive and should be paid by someone else....or if not that.... at least someone else's service should be eliminated to reduce the common burden.

At least it seems that way to me.

I tried to rep ya on this one. I agree wholeheartedly with you. I get this all the time. "I don't mind paying my fair share but HE"S not paying as much as I am."

Old 08-31-2009, 05:28 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Given the small population we have and the relatively low income in Maine we should not be leading the nation is wasteful spending. Sure, we need to teach the kids, plow the roads and help the truly indigent. We have always done that in our country. However, it was usually done privately. Our founding fathers knew the classics, spoke Greek, Latin and French, studied astronomy, religion, history, geography and mathematics. None of them went to public schools. Roads were built privately and many were toll roads until the costs were recovered. Towns ran poor farms for people unable to maintain their own households. It all worked efficiently. It could again. It may HAVE to work this way again. Fortunately, some of us know how our forebears lived before government provided free trailers, cars and big screen TVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine