Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:49 PM

31 posts, read 71,358 times

Advertisements

No worries. I have been reading about the proposed east-west highway coming through with an interchange in Skowhegan. I moved to Maine to get away from all the craziness. If this happens I will move again. I happen to like being away from downtowns. So what if you have to drive to your favorite mall? Maine is a beautiful state and I would hate to see it become a state with all cities. If I wanted that I'd move back to Mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 07:10 AM

169 posts, read 283,035 times
There was a lot of talk about the east-west highway, but they have recently said that they were not going to do the big bridge, loop road plan that they had on the table. I don't think the state and the feds have the money anymore to do anything like that. They might get another bridge, but I haven't heard anything about where it's going.

Skowhegan could easily route the traffic up high street, and back onto Route 2 a little east of downtown. The Candlelight is for sale, so they could make it two lanes and do this in a couple of months.

People are afraid that if we take the traffic out of downtown it would suffer, but I think it's mostly local traffic who actually shop there. The trucks could certainly be re-routed. I don't think they are shopping downtown and I know they hate having to go around the rotary.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Bangor just got the dubious distinction of the worst crime rate in the state.

We are number 5 in the state now.

Not so bad.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,288 times
ha you want a mass amount of crime and traffic come to new jersey. I live not even 20 miles from were i work and if i leave work around 4:30pm i dont get home until atleast 5. The crime is terrible we had 320 murders last year alone and that was the lowest in ten years. When I come to maine, which i do every year in the bangor area, It always seems quiet, peaceful and not congested. I like it up there but honestly i still would rather live in NJ. I never been to Skowhegan though what causes the traffic over there?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,450 times
Where is the best breakfast in Skowhegan?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 AM

27 posts, read 47,175 times
Default food

Isn't Skowhegan the place with that really wonderful diner that serves sauteed lobster rolls and great pies? When we return from visiting Moosehead Lake, we plan our trip so that we can stop there for lunch. We were early one time and they happily served up lobster rolls at 9:30 a.m. You've got to love a place like that. I've had friendly feelings for the town ever since we discover the great food...

Old 01-15-2015, 06:10 AM

Skowhegan suffers from a high crime rate. I wonder what can be done about it? The town is down 5 police officers, so that doesn't help much, but there are people who are breaking into houses and actual muggings happening which is disturbing.

We are forming a neighborhood watch in our neighborhood, so that should help some. We hope...

Old 01-21-2015, 03:01 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
Hi. I don't live far from Skowhegan and I think that it is a cute town. Traffic can be a challenge at times but still I think it is nice. I would rather shop at your Walmart than the Walmart in Waterville. You have a career center right there in town. A nice, still relatively active downtown with more shops open then closed. And there is a restaurant on the right, on the way to Walmart, that we have dined at a couple times, can't recall the name, but the food is fabulous. They even make their own potato chips. Of course Gifford's is there as is New Balance. And you have a True Value hardware store (I think it is True Value, up by the Legion. Oh, and the movie theater downtown (Strand?) and the drive-in. I heard that they were given a short reprieve on having to have a digital projector.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:50 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
The traffic in Skowhegan is really insane for such a small town. I won't stop anywhere there when passing through because of the traffic. The town is hurting itself by not solving the traffic mess.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Skowhegan's downtown is so messed up. Can't understand why they don't do something about it.
The only other place that comes close to being as bad is Gray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine