Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times

Advertisements

Back to the original point. Acadionlion has given some very valuable insight here even adding a personal situation as an example to be avoided.
My daughter and her boyfriend just finished college in Vermont. They thought about moving back to Maine but could not find any work in the Human Resources field which they both majored in. Each of them landed jobs withing a few miles of Burlington Vermont and now a year later they have settled into a rented home on a few acrea of land a few miles from town, raising a garden a rabbit and a cat and enjoy the country life within an easy drive to Burlington for night life and essentials. My daughter has entered a Masters program which she will complete in two and a half years. They are not considering moving back to Maine anymore as this area continues to lose many more jobs than it is creating while the population around the Burlington area, while far from congested, continues to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 12:31 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
If you actually move here - you would be considered an "in state" student and get in state tuition.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
If you actually move here - you would be considered an "in state" student and get in state tuition.
Not if you move into the State in order to go to school. You have to move for other reasons like a job or spouses job in order to qualify for in-state tuition before the year or so residency requirement. Hint - Hint about job 1st or spouses job 1st.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 PM

9 posts, read 27,997 times
reloop, thanks for all those links!

as for the moving to be considered an "in-state" student, i think you have to "live" there and pay taxes for at least two years? maybe that's just how Missouri works. but when i applied for school here (st. louis, mo), that is what they told me. probably worth looking into though. just to know... because maybe by the time my husband transfers to a university, we'll be "residents"!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:54 AM

4 posts, read 5,802 times
I am taking the dive to Maine on Saturday. I'm moving from Phoenix Arizona, a huge metropolis to a small town. My boyfriend and I needed a new scenery and desire a slower pace. We can't wait. I'll let you know how it goes..
If you live in southern Maine, Boston is only 90 min away. So if you get an unbearable itch for something like Thai food.. its there.
You can find a realtor to help you find housing in your price range.. but rent less than $600 that is safe and livable is prob going to be hard to find. You mentioned you will be getting student loans for living.. have you looked into grants and scholarships too? There's tons of money out there for free.. just have to write a paper or something and they award you with it. I received 4 scholarships during school and they were a lifesaver. Especially since I was paying for school myself, sounds like you two are doing the same.
Also, check Craigslist for housing in whichever town you are looking into. There are plenty of people looking for roommates to offset the cost of living.

Moving to a new place can be liberating.. i think. I'll let you know after this week.

I found a job on Career builder, then found a realtor to set up housing and away we go!

Old 09-10-2009, 05:51 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
MEorBust best wishes for an easy move.... I hope everything goes well. Keep us posted!

Old 09-10-2009, 02:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEorBust View Post
I am taking the dive to Maine on Saturday. I'm moving from Phoenix Arizona, a huge metropolis to a small town. My boyfriend and I needed a new scenery and desire a slower pace. We can't wait. I'll let you know how it goes..
If you live in southern Maine, Boston is only 90 min away. So if you get an unbearable itch for something like Thai food.. its there. !
Highly rated Thai restaurants on Pleasant Street in Brunswick and Washington Ave in Portland. No need to drive to Boston.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 5,802 times
I know.. i was wrong. There is Thai food. Also a nice looking Wine bar called "Old Vines" we look forward to checking out. We were looking up restaurants today online and are very excited. Especially to try the highly rated Clam Shack in Kennebunkport, ME that was on Food Network.

Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-11-2009, 03:21 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEorBust View Post
I know.. i was wrong. There is Thai food. Also a nice looking Wine bar called "Old Vines" we look forward to checking out. We were looking up restaurants today online and are very excited. Especially to try the highly rated Clam Shack in Kennebunkport, ME that was on Food Network.

Thanks for the tip!
There are some festivals going on in Eastport this weekend.. I know that's probably too long of a drive especially if it's just a weekend trip, but wanted to through that out there. If not on our drive from Ohio, we will wave at you from I-95 on our way!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Some may think Acadianlion is a pessimist, but I consider him (you are a lion and not a lioness, correct?) a realist. A friend of mine just sent her child off to U of ME at Fort Kent instate cost $18,000 a year(?!)...I think it differs from state to state as to how long you have to live in the state to claim residency for tuition purposes. After reading several posts, I agree with those who say get job first--move after finding employment and then consider going to college in Maine. At least it won't look like you only moved to Maine to go to college even if in fact, that was one of the reasons. I certainly hope costs at a community college are a lot less than the cost at Fort Kent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine