Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
I am a member of the Red Cross. Most of the calls we had last year were for fires due to kerosene heaters, small electrical heaters. Them getting knocked over, having something catch fire that was put too close etc. Now I know there are folks that know how to use them safely, but please to those that don't...don't use them...or be extra careful and don't leave them on when you leave the house.

Due to my experiences, we got rid of ours years ago, just wasn't worth the risk.
True. I'm careful to keep them away from anything that can catch fire. But I've seen people with them right next to a window with curtains on it or such. I also use various lamps rather than electric lights (kerosene, gas, oil...). People need some common sense when using things like these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 AM

20 posts, read 43,810 times
Maine has beautiful public housing. Slliding scale and they're not "projects" by anymeans.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 AM

92 posts, read 226,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights2 View Post
Maine has beautiful public housing. Slliding scale and they're not "projects" by anymeans.
When my brother worked for MBNA (now BofA) in Belfast, he couldn't get a place there because he 'made too much money' and there were no options that weren't low income.

Here in Bangor they've built a bunch of new places, but again, rent controlled. My particular favorite was the mid-100K houses for low income. From what I hear they were able to get the loan and all, but when the tax man came, the tax man came in quite a fury. I think there's some shared blame between salesman, issuing bank, and the people that applied on that one.

I'm waiting for the day when the average working-class person can get a nice new place too. So far those places seem to not even exist at any price for the most part.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droobie
I'm waiting for the day when the average working-class person can get a nice new place too. So far those places seem to not even exist at any price for the most part.
It is far cheaper to build your own.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:54 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Not everybody possesses the skill set to build a home. I know I couldn't do it.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:50 PM

92 posts, read 226,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I live in a house made by a Russian dude from Surry instead. Some people don't want to own a house unless they know the work is constant in the area they're living though.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEorBust View Post
Ok. I'm settled in Kennebunk. The weather is amazing! I came from high of 110 to low of 90 degrees. What a relief. I agree with the job market struggle. It's not a good time to get a new job. We had a hard time finding nursing jobs. Things are great here.. so glad we moved. We don't miss Arizona at all. We were so happy to eat White Castle burgers and fries in St. Louis.
If you can score a job and affordable housing.. why not? Just get those things in line first before you make the big drive. Save your $$$.. it's going to cost a lot to move. Gas, hotels, first and last months rent, maybe a deposit?? Dont forget to add those things to the budget. Tolls, food, space heaters
Wow...I was so excited to hear that someone from AZ made the move to Maine and likes it! I am hoping to get there too....unfortunately, it will take some time for the real estate warden to unlock the gates out of this town!

I was also thinking of Kennebunk. Please keep me posted of your new adventures in ME. It is still 100+ degrees here...but mornings are cooling off....

Old 12-27-2009, 04:32 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
I'm interested in knowing what kind of loans you can get to cover your rent while attending a community college? Private student loans?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:59 PM

38 posts, read 82,609 times
If you like outdoor activities hunting, fishing, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, snowmobiling you might want to consider Northern Maine. You can live in some of the smaller towns and get a rental under $600. Places like Presque Isle, Caribou, Mars Hill, Fort Fairfield, New Sweden. Attend Northern Maine Community College and then transfer to Husson College or University of Maine at Presque Isle.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:50 AM

783 posts, read 1,574,856 times
Montanamom, the Maine.gov site offers info on educational financial aid in Maine:

http://www.maine.gov/portal/education/financing.html

Too, maybe your inquiry regarding assistance with housing costs could be directed to the Financial Advisor of the specific school you are considering? I relied on student loan $ to help pay my mortgage when I went back to school full-time and was I ever when it was time to begin paying back on the loan...my .02 is to proceed with extreme caution in that dept.!

Hope it goes well!

Last edited by maureenb; 12-28-2009 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: insert link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine