Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Well.... with the recent Pirate activity in that area it's difficult to predict what will happen.

Pirate Invasion 2009
Going to check this out!! 3 and 1/2 days till our etd!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Now that was just mean, LOL. I wanted to go so bad!!!!

*sigh* Maybe next year!!

Ok, I'll go back and do another search for homes in the area then. Ya'll try to keep those prices low for me for just a bit longer though, ok?? If I have some time to get the little stuff done to my house and get it sold I'd have enough to buy a place up there and just rent a home here until I can legally kick out the kill joys in the house (that would be the teenagers!! ) Then it's party time for mommy and daddy in Maine!!
We may have just under 12 years until the move.. wanna go to the 2011 festival together when we visit next?(our time will come, hang in there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You can't get rid of us that easy Maineah.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:21 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
So far this year we've had about 18 transfers on the island. Of that 10 were arms length (Not family to family,etc). Half the island is for sale but not moving for one reason or another. Usually we get near 150 transfers a year. I don't see us pulling too many in the next few months.

Mainah; have you ever seen the movie "The Mouse That Roared"? I'm trying to get the City Council to do that. The repairation money would just roll in. We don't need Canada to take us in.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
IMHO, it all depends on what you're looking for. Is the Downeast/Eastport area booming? Geez, I hope not!! We wanted the real Maine life, not just the facade of a life. Been there, done that in Houston! Economically depressed? Compared to who? I haven't seen that at all. I've actually been surprised at the fancy vehicles and homes up here, after all I'd heard. We even have a really nice country club and golf course that has a very happy following this summer!

We couldn't bear the thought of being in southern Maine/northern Mass, where you're over-run with tourists every year. We chose to be off the beaten path where life is simple, clean and wholesome. The people are so genuine here. You don't see many folks up here putting on airs like you have in other areas. It's refreshing to see folks driving expensive SUVs and Jeeps and such and living in gorgeous homes on the water, yet they still act like normal folks and treat everyone respectfully.

We really expected people around here to be struggling a little more in this area, because we had also heard a lot about how depressed the area is, but we haven't met anyone yet who is unemployed or unhappy with the life they're living. I'm sure there are some folks who just choose not to work and do better for themselves (they're everywhere!) but "Help Needed" abounds! My husband, who works in Washington County as an EMT/Firefighter, has 5 different services calling him to work all the time. He has more work than he can accept most weeks and frequently turns down overtime shifts. The service people (landscapers, contractors, plow guys, etc.) stay so busy there is usually a waiting list to get on, we've learned. That doesn't scream "economically depressed" to me. I've been waiting for two weeks to have a larger garden plot tilled. Eddie has been too busy. I'm happy for him!

So, be sure you know what you're really looking for. YOU make your life what you want it to be, and most people can do that anywhere.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
That doesn't scream "economically depressed" to me.
T made $18/hr Friday. Darn good money when you're 16.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Yay. Ok, feeling better then! I was looking at the low end homes though. Wahhh!! But I did a search and found quite a few out there. I just may get there yet!!

Dramamamma - it's a date baby!!! See ya in 2011!!!!

El, you were looking for exactly what we're looking for. Peace and quiet in an island town with friendly, open people who aren't making themselves out to be what they're not. I had plenty of that in Florida, and don't ever want to be around people like that again. Too much to do in life to deal with snobs!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:06 PM

How about our Vacant Building Festival?? That has a bit of notariaty. (Thanks to Tim Sample)

Old 09-08-2009, 02:06 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,740 times
Well maybe if taxes were lower in Eastport the buildings wouldn't be vacant?

Saw a great Maine auto tag in Florida today. It was on a big black 4 wheel drive Surburban. It read

GUZZLAH I didn't know they still made those things anymore

Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Well maybe if taxes were lower in Eastport the buildings wouldn't be vacant?
That brings up a 15 minute speech that doesn't belong here. I get in enough trouble.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:11 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim
... We really expected people around here to be struggling a little more in this area, because we had also heard a lot about how depressed the area is, but we haven't met anyone yet who is unemployed or unhappy with the life they're living. I'm sure there are some folks who just choose not to work and do better for themselves (they're everywhere!) but "Help Needed" abounds! My husband, who works in Washington County as an EMT/Firefighter, has 5 different services calling him to work all the time. He has more work than he can accept most weeks and frequently turns down overtime shifts. The service people (landscapers, contractors, plow guys, etc.) stay so busy there is usually a waiting list to get on, we've learned. That doesn't scream "economically depressed" to me. I've been waiting for two weeks to have a larger garden plot tilled. Eddie has been too busy. I'm happy for him!

So, be sure you know what you're really looking for. YOU make your life what you want it to be, and most people can do that anywhere.
Good point. Folks whine a lot about Maine's economy. But folks are still here raising families.

And there are help wanted signs up.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:22 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Hey El, do they hire newbies? My son is a firefighter and has taken some of his EMT classes. He's finishing them up now and working for a volunteer department. He needs a job, not to volunteer forever. And he loved living up north in Jersey. And we all know Maine is way better than Jersey!! Maybe he'd be happy in the Eastport area? If so I'm wondering if the in-laws would go halfsies on a place with hubby and I and we could let the son live there until he finds a place....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: