Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,069 times

Advertisements

I am a senior male and usually have made annual trips to Portland via airline. At the airport of Portland I usually rent a car. ..ie last year, same time, mid OCT, compact car $150 full price. This year, I am quoted around $415 for the same car...all the others seem to match that figure. Could someone local telll me why has the price almost tripled for a one week rental? Aren't we all suffering from this recession? Don't tell me its because of the foliage time, been coming up there from NY for almost 30 years and never had this problem with the cost of rental cars. When the government is suggesting to us to spend, so we can assist the economy...is this the way companies feel its the right thing to do? Bt making it almost impossible for some of us, especially us seniors, to afford such prices. BTW, gas prices are less than they were, same time last year. The airline ticket is only $119 RT from NY non stop....we also did check for a later date, and usually motels lower their prices for lack of customers and foliage at its end, but the rental cars showed the same inflationary rates. Looks like no trip this year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,480,862 times
I just rented a car about 6 weeks ago at Portland and the weekly rate would have been about 299 for the week. If you stay away from the airports, you can rent much more cheaply. The taxi ride from the airport to the rental agency is minimal. Airports tack HUGE fees on the concessionaires on airport property. Have you tried the cheap websites? By the way that rate was a pickup at Portland, and drop off at Bangor rate. So picking it up and returning it to Portland should be cheaper. Oh well!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:12 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,597,678 times
Being we're local, with most of us never having a reason to rent a car, it's impossible for us to know why rental prices are so high. We all own our cars. If we have an accident the insurance company pays for the rental and we never know what the price is. That said the $415.00 price seems outrageous to me! It's probably some new tax from Augusta on car rentals or something dumb like that. I hope someone who knows the answer will post a reply on here. That increase is outrageous and as you pointed out will do more to drive away potential customers than bring them in! I'm sorry the increase will keep you from your trip.....hey it's only money!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM

12,663 posts, read 21,824,587 times
They did increase the tax significantly on car rentals. It's funny I mentioned that tax a few hours ago on a thread about the Downeaster in the Portland forum. 50% of the tax revenue is going to support trying to keep it in service (without the funding it's done as of October 1). Seeing as I've never had a reason to rent in Maine, and seeing as I'm a public transit enthusiast, I can't complain. Sorry about the increase for you though, I can't imagine that was a pleasant surprise.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:28 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,597,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
They did increase the tax significantly on car rentals. It's funny I mentioned that tax a few hours ago on a thread about the Downeaster in the Portland forum. 50% of the tax revenue is going to support trying to keep it in service (without the funding it's done as of October 1). Seeing as I've never had a reason to rent in Maine, and seeing as I'm a public transit enthusiast, I can't complain. Sorry about the increase for you though, I can't imagine that was a pleasant surprise.
It's always a great idea to spring new taxes on the tourists. It's not like there are not 49 other states for them to spend their money in! Noel8 will be joined by hundreds of others this fall in going some place besides Maine for their fall trip due to the lame-brained legislature in Augusta. Keep voting for Democrats Maine.... they're doing such a good job!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,425,934 times
I'm in classes this week in Louisville, Ky. My mid-size car rental was $238 for 5 days. I could have done a compact for $167, but I upgraded because I don't think I could tolerate a 4 cylinder. I rented through Southwest's website at the time I booked my flight. I have no idea why it would be so much in Portland. Are you at the top end of the rental fleet of vehicles? I'm driving a Ford Escape this week. NOT something I'd EVER waste money buying by the way. POC in my estimation!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,737,272 times
We chose to fly into Manchester, NH, rent there and drive up to Maine. Rental car rates and flight prices area always cheaper. I just got a quote for $ 263 ( includes taxes and fees) for 8 days in mid October at dollar.com. Check on kayak.com to see if there is anything cheaper outside of the Portland jetport and hop a taxi to pick up a cheaper rental car minus horrendous airport rental fees.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:32 PM

92 posts, read 225,568 times
Rentals in Bangor are crazy but I think I was charged a 10% "Airport Fee" last time. Nice little buttering there. If a deer hadn't run into the side of my car, I would've been more willing to gripe and shop around.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:43 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,480,862 times
I did a check for a car just for the heck of it, and there were over $50 of fees on the car that go to the airport.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:32 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,921,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel8 View Post
I am a senior male and usually have made annual trips to Portland via airline. At the airport of Portland I usually rent a car. ..ie last year, same time, mid OCT, compact car $150 full price. This year, I am quoted around $415 for the same car...all the others seem to match that figure. Could someone local telll me why has the price almost tripled for a one week rental? Aren't we all suffering from this recession? Don't tell me its because of the foliage time, been coming up there from NY for almost 30 years and never had this problem with the cost of rental cars. When the government is suggesting to us to spend, so we can assist the economy...is this the way companies feel its the right thing to do? Bt making it almost impossible for some of us, especially us seniors, to afford such prices. BTW, gas prices are less than they were, same time last year. The airline ticket is only $119 RT from NY non stop....we also did check for a later date, and usually motels lower their prices for lack of customers and foliage at its end, but the rental cars showed the same inflationary rates. Looks like no trip this year..
Yup. Pretty expensive. I just looked up renting a Ford Fusion from Avis out of Portland, and it was over $600 for a week, including insurance.

Maybe driving your own car up from New York makes a lot of sense now, doesn't it?

Two years ago we went to Asheville, North Carolina to a meeting. We rented a car for the entire trip, whiich included several side trips. It was around $900 for a new Ford Fusion for ten days. Nice car, nice trip. Would I do that again? Well, probably not. I would prefer to drive my own car because the added cost of rental is simply not worth it, unless there is some extraordinary need...as was the case in the trip to NC: I need to have new tires on my car, and my mechanic couldn't get me scheduled in time for our leaving.

If you can deduct the cost of renting a car as part of a business expense, it makes some sense. Without deductions, it is just expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine