Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:01 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times

Advertisements

As long as it isn't a kind that is dangerous to humans, I'd leave 'em alone. Spiders are our friends. They eat all the other things that are even worse --- flies, blackflies, mosquitoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 06:24 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
Did it look like this?

Attachment 3228
Ok that was just mean and creepy all at the same time!...LOL

Old 05-04-2007, 06:26 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
As long as it isn't a kind that is dangerous to humans, I'd leave 'em alone. Spiders are our friends. They eat all the other things that are even worse --- flies, blackflies, mosquitoes.
See I think spiders are good and the one I posted isn't dangerous and is found all over the US...so if that's what it looked like it's probably ok to leave them alone. BUT I have a strict rule for "nature" in my house...as long as I don't see you it's ok for you to stay...but if you show yourself to me you have broken our trust agreement and will probably see the bottom of a shoe.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:35 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,454 times
Well, I haven't lived in Maine other than a few cottage stays, but it sounds a lot like the wolf spiders we have in KY and OH. Big creepy brown things that are as fast as anything, hang out around the floor but sometimes crawl on the wall, and have even been known to raise their their front legs in a "challenge" pose when a human comes near. Our local spider experts say they're not poisonous but can have a painful bite if they get cornered.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:59 PM

165 posts, read 415,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
See I think spiders are good and the one I posted isn't dangerous and is found all over the US...so if that's what it looked like it's probably ok to leave them alone. BUT I have a strict rule for "nature" in my house...as long as I don't see you it's ok for you to stay...but if you show yourself to me you have broken our trust agreement and will probably see the bottom of a shoe.

Yes, you're an Irish mom.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:35 PM

581 posts, read 713,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ok that was just mean and creepy all at the same time!...LOL

I'm glad you liked it!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
There are no dangerous spiders in Maine, so take a deep breath and relax. :-)

Wolf spiders can bite, but theyre harmless. What you also described might be a fishing spider of the Dolomedes genus. Go to www.bugguide.net and submit a photo if you want them positively IDd. Hope this helps!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 28,545 times
Cool Funnel Weaver!

Hi guys! It isn't hairy at all so I think that might differentiate it from the wolf spider. Instead, I think it is the funnel weaver spider. It has two long black lines on its back. I first caught them and put them outside but then started getting a little nervous when five paraded in front of me when I was sitting and reading. There are no crumbs anywhere and no rodents etc. However, I did figure out something. I put a long fabric thing... (supposed to protect the door from drafts?) under the front door and sprayed the area with orange air freshner (natural and organic so safe for cats etc.) and guess what? They are gone! Also read they HATE Neem Oil and Catnip. So, if they stampede me again, I'll spray that around. I couldn't tell about that first picture, it's a little blurry, but it looks about right. Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:24 PM

45 posts, read 219,107 times
LOL! Oh lord. Thats is soo scary! I hope yu get rid of your spiders soon. Call the bug man asap!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:30 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
There was a story here in Washington State last week about a boy who had been complaining of ear problems. He kept hearing "popping" in his ear, "like Rice Krispies" he told his mom.

His mother took him to the doctor, who flushed two spiders out of his ear -- one dead, but one very much alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine